Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I sent Hill Country Rifles my over the counter Winchester 375 stainless to do thier accurazing job. I got it back and it will shoot clover leafs all day long with Federal ammo. Pretty cheap work to get it that way. It was originally shooting 1.5 groups

BP-B2

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Another vote for Gene Simillion. It will be accurate and in addition feed and eject perfectly. He can also set it up to hold 4 down in the magazine of the Echols stock which is nice with a .375.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
What contour and length barrel would you guys recommend? I'll probably go Bartlein.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've owned 3 Pre 64 375's and shot a couple more and every one of them would easily shoot under an inch with no load development, just book loads and Hornady 270 Spire points and 4831 powder. Cloverleafs every time.
That is, if you could stay at the bench long enough to shoot a few groups..... smile

These are truly one of the great rifles every developed which brings me to the point I'm slowly walking around. The 375 needs a bit of weight to be shootable for most shooters as the recoil is on the threshhold of what most can tolerate. Me included, which is why I don't own one any more, besides the fact I won't probably make it back to Africa any time soon.

If it were me, I would be looking at a barrel contour very close to the Winchester Pre 64 contour. Enough weight forward to hold and sight well, and give a little recoil absorption but not so heavy you can't carry it. A buddy built one on a 300 H&H action I sold him and it shoots as you would expect and looks great. If you cut down the weight much, IMHO you will pay for it and not enjoy shooting it.

Looking forward to seeing the final result.

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Would rather have a .375 that feeds,fires and extracts with no problems. A rifle that fits like a glove and balances in the hands.

Given that,accuracy could be 2" at 100 yds and I would kill anything in the world,as long as I don't muck up the shot. wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Pre 64's Win's are good starting points. Never had one that didn't feed perfectly, and the H&H cases feed exceptionally well due to the shape of the case and the excellent Winchester mags and followers. Just a great design, IMHO. Second only to a good double rifle.

If I were a gunsmith, I would love to see one of these come in. Making it utterly reliable wouldn't be too much work.

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
More important than pure accuracy for me would be its field accuracy and "carry-ability." The Echols Legend stock is a good start. But with that stock, don't even think about trying to use open sights. The comb is too high and straight. But it handles recoil really well.

I would also pay a lot of attention to the barrel profile and length. Most .375H&H barrels are too long and bulky. I sold my M70 Classic in 375 H&H after one Afric hunt for exactly that reason. The cartridge certainly does not need 26" barrels to achieve benchmark velocities. I would be thinking in the 22" range (maybe 23", which would look better with a Legend stock), and about .675" muzzle diameter.

Penrod does good work, but he is slower and more expensive than Redneck (Lee), whose work has never let me down.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Mr. Olson in Plains, Mt. would be on my short list as well.

Buy once, cry once.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by utah708
... I would also pay a lot of attention to the barrel profile and length. Most .375H&H barrels are too long and bulky. I sold my M70 Classic in 375 H&H after one Africa hunt for exactly that reason. The cartridge certainly does not need 26" barrels to achieve benchmark velocities. I would be thinking in the 22" range (maybe 23", which would look better with a Legend stock), and about .675" muzzle diameter ...

^^^ Good advice here.^^^ ... Made same mistake with the one .375 H&H custom that I built. Went with a Douglas #5 @ 26". Not exactly same/same. But, the 9.3x62 that I am building now will be a Douglas #4 @ 23".

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 10generation
I've got a .375, but am looking to have a new one built on a model 70 action and an echols stock.

My question is around accuracy - many of the high end hunting smiths will guarantee 1" with a custom load, while many of the "precision rifle" smiths will often commit to .75" with factory, some will go to .5".

I realize the "precision rifle" smiths are generally doing this with .308, .260, 300WM, etc. But I've been wondering if any of you know someone who could build an absolute tack driver .375 H&H?

Don't want a very heavy one, built to carry and hunt, all purpose Africa rifle - buffalo in close, or gemsbok at 300 yds - and yes I know 1" is fine for both animals, but like the rest of you I'm a gun nut and am looking to see if a tackdriver can be built in .375.

Appreciate any ideas, suggestions.

Thanks

There's been many "tack driver" 375 H&H rifles built. Start looking for a good pre 64 model 70... wink

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by teal
I believe jorgeI has a 375 that's been known to cut a single ragged hole. May be mis-remembering that tho.

I'd think that if you chose a good smith, regardless of cartridge - the rifle should be put together well.

Most of it ends up being the nut behind the trigger anyway.

Jorge1 has many rifles like that. My first thought lies in your last sentence... Hint... wink

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by utah708
More important than pure accuracy for me would be its field accuracy and "carry-ability." The Echols Legend stock is a good start. But with that stock, don't even think about trying to use open sights. The comb is too high and straight. But it handles recoil really well.

I would also pay a lot of attention to the barrel profile and length. Most .375H&H barrels are too long and bulky. I sold my M70 Classic in 375 H&H after one Afric hunt for exactly that reason. The cartridge certainly does not need 26" barrels to achieve benchmark velocities. I would be thinking in the 22" range (maybe 23", which would look better with a Legend stock), and about .675" muzzle diameter.

Penrod does good work, but he is slower and more expensive than Redneck (Lee), whose work has never let me down.

I agree with the overly heavy .375 H&H M-70 24" tubes. With the Classic, they have the same contour, .458, 416 and .375, of course, the latter is heavier, less metal removed from the bore.

I cut a 24" SS Classic to 21" had it flutted, steel bedded it in the Tupperware stock. I like that stock, drop is about right. I had a Legend on a .404J M-70 build and agree, it's hard to get down on it enough for irons. With the Tupperware, it's easy to see the NECG iron.

As shown, this gun balances very well and with the Zeiss Victory 1.5-6x42 T*, weighs 9#, 1 oz. Weight is well under 9#'s with the 1.5-5x20.

The factory barrel shoots very well. So, this is an inexpensive solution to the accurate .375 issue in a very useable package that's about bullet proof regarding rough handling, wet climates, etc. You can spend a lot more...

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 12/10/16.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Would rather have a .375 that feeds,fires and extracts with no problems. A rifle that fits like a glove and balances in the hands.

Given that,accuracy could be 2" at 100 yds and I would kill anything in the world,as long as I don't muck up the shot. wink

Hmmm...

A far shot on a NM Jackwabbit, about how many yds/feet that be...??

DF

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I had a Brux in 375 ruger put on a push feed model 70. 6x scope and 2 of the first test loads(only 3 shots) could just about be covered by a penny. Have banged steel at 400 with boring regularity just for fun with the same 6x scope

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

Hmmm...

A far shot on a NM Jackwabbit, about how many yds/feet that be...??

DF
Far,far,far away.... wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
It better be. I've shot them past 200 yards with my old smith 29 when I was 13 years old.... Just sayin... whistle

BSA MAGA
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
It better be. I've shot them past 200 yards with my old smith 29 when I was 13 years old.... Just sayin... whistle
With a handgun,inches away is not close enough.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

Elk, you'll catch them bunnies on fire that close, muzzle flash will light'em up... shocked

DF

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

laugh

BSA MAGA
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Kimber Talkeetna bone stock save a trigger tweak:

200yds, 250 TTSX/R-15, 2800fps, 1 fouler from a cleaned bore and then 3-shot group

[Linked Image]

I had a factory NH M70 SS classic that shot as well or better that I sold to a friend when I bough the Kimber.

Both rifles also shoot 260 Partitions and 270 TSX's equally as well as the above pic and the Win also shoots 300TSX's that good or better as well. Never tried the 300's in the Kimber.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
730 members (10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 84 invisible), 2,741 guests, and 1,295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,700
Posts18,399,968
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.