Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
TheBig1 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I'm only asking this question because I know how expensive the RCBS is and I see that the Lyman is on sale at Cabela's.

Does anyone have any experience with the Lyman versus the RCBS?

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=1530787&type=product#tabsCollection

Chad

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
No experience with the Lyman but I believe that RCBS is running rebates now.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I used to have a friend that owned one and it was a big POS.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
T
TheBig1 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
That's all I need to know fellas, the RCBS it is.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have the RCBS - cats ass. Love it.

I have Lyman vib cleaner for moly - works okay but I don't know of anyone running anything else by Lyman at all to compare.

Me

IC B2

T
TheBig1 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Thanks Teal, I'm beginning to think that I've been caught trying to be a cheap a$$. LOL

RCBS it is for sure.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
RCBS may cost more but you won't find better customer service. I've had one dealing with Lyman's customer service. No more Lyman products for me. Just my 2¢.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have both Pact and RCBS. The RCBS is easier to use and about twice as fast. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I started out with the Lyman, could never get it to throw an accurate charge, so it went back and exchanged it for the RCBS. Been running strong with it ever since.

Save your frustration and save up a little more cash, you will be glad that you did!!

Most of the important things in the world have been accomplished by people who have kept on trying when there seemed to be no hope at all.
- Dale Carnegie
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
RCBS was on sale for 300 I think last time I walked into my local cabelas on Wednesday of this week.
I also own the RCBS combo and really like it. It speeds my loading up so much, I cant imagine doing it without an auto dispenser again. Yes it will miss weight once in a while. Maybe 10% of the time. if it's low a couple taps on the trickle button gets it there. If it's high, I open the top and drip a touch back into the hopper and re-weigh it. Some powders work better than others based on configuration. Basically boils down to how much powder actually drops when it's trickling on its own.
I really like it. For me, my thoughts were, buy it once and be done with it. While loading a batch, I dispense the powder charge, once it's correct, I dump into the case, and dispense the next charge while I am seating the bullet, putting that loaded cartridge in the appropriate location and getting another case ready to be filled. By then, most of the time, the powder is sitting there waiting for me at the correct level.

Salmonhead
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Had one of the first model Lyman - POS. Needed to be turned on 30 min prior to use and would drift. If I lifted the pan and set it back down it would measure a 0.2 to 0.5 grains difference. Sent it back to Lyman - not much different. Got an RCBS - problems solved.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
I used to dip out of a glass jar with a tea spoon. The ChargeMaster combo is a little faster than that, but not much.

Honestly I am kind of sorry I bought it, darn thing is just so bleeding slow.

Not so bad for load development, like 5 or 10, but for 20 or 50 I set up the UniFlow.

JMHO

I am MAGA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
JC ...... you got problems with your machine or you got problems using your machine.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Neither, I think. As far as I can tell, it does just what it is supposed to do, and by god, it is accurate, well, most of the time.

It sometimes has trouble landing right on the correct weight, couple of tenths over.

Some one explained to me that they can be re programmed so that the trickle mode starts either sooner or later, but it was way over my head.

I feel sorry for it once in a while. It will stop at a tenth below, think about what it should do next, and sure enough, too much powder falls out. It beeps triumphantly, but I know it feels sorry that it threw too much.

Like saying hit me when you are holding 19.

Like I said, seems to be working fine, just a bit slow for my tastes.

Last edited by Jim_Conrad; 09/19/16.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Add a 2" section of a straw (McDonalds) to the powder tube and that will fix your trickling issue.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by FAIR_CHASE
Add a 2" section of a straw (McDonalds) to the powder tube and that will fix your trickling issue.

For ball powder I cut a series of about 1/2" long very narrow triangular notches in the end of the straw. Not fool proof but works pretty good for throwing consistent loads.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I could see that working for ball powders.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by deflave
I used to have a friend that owned one and it was a big POS.

Dave

Yep,

The one I had was a serious POS. It would wander 1 1/2 grains over a box of 20.

If you don't care about either accuracy or pressure, go ahead and buy the Lyman.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
What's the point of an electronic powder dispenser for ball powders? Seems like it would be slower, without any improvement in charge weight accuracy.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I have a lyman and like it. It's fast... for me. It can drift a hair but once you get rolling with it you get a feel for it and put the over charges back in the hopper and use the next one.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

535 members (11point, 2500HD, 160user, 10ring1, 219 Wasp, 222Sako, 69 invisible), 2,837 guests, and 1,219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,334
Posts18,468,644
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.