Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
K1500 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Willys or an old power wagon are the ultimate dream but I don't think it's the best place to start as a novice. Still thinking about a jeep but I really like the looks of the older blazers and Broncos better. I guess I have to decide on cheap and fairly practical or another full sized rig. I've never had anything but a full sized rig, so I don't even know what a jeep can really do. I do think the no top no doors of a jeep would be fun (for a while anyway).

GB1

B
BLG Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
I would rule out any Bronco that doesn't have a straight front axle. That piece of garbage independent front suspension was a giant pain in the ass. Go early Bronco if you can find one cheap that isn't in bad shape, or go 70-80's model Blazer.

If you are a novice, and don't have much experience, DO NOT get the later model Bronco. You have been warned......

Another option could be a power wagon. Many of the 4 wheel drive parts were the same as the Chevy's. Transfer case, front axels.

Clyde

The liberal mind is an endless black hole of stupidity.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had several 90's Fords with the Twin I-beam front suspension and had no real issues with them when wearing moderate suspension lifts. Yes, they are prone to needing alignments pretty regularly and they are not well suited to big horsepower when combined with big tires/gears and hard fourwheeling in rocks and such. They are not as good as a solid axle when asking them to handle those kinds of chores. Just my experience.

Now with even more aplomb
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by northern_dave
They are both terrible for rust problems but I think in project form you can often buy 4 scouts for the price of one clapped out bronco.

I think you're right about that. The early bronco's are pricey and climbing higher.

I love scouts, but they're so damn rusty.

Camp is where you make it.
K1500 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Keep it coming, this is all good advice for a newb like me. I looked at scouts in craigslist and they aren't as high as I thought but they do look like they typically require more work to get squared away. I do want something that I can enjoy as I upgrade, rather than a full frame off restoration kind of project.

Last edited by K1500; 09/14/16.
IC B2

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
budget, performance, capability etc...

The recommendations for second generation broncos aren't bad.

Solid axles, coil sprung front, disc brakes up front, power steering, power brakes, short wheel base, soft ride, not terribly heavy. D44 front axles and 9" rears are well supported in the aftermarket with traction devices and gears.

78-79 bronco with an inline 6, 4 speed trans, part time T-case, slight lift, 33x10.5 tires, lim slip devices in both diffs, a good winch... that would be cool.

Mice would be the same as all that but it would be an F150 because I like to throw my dead critters in back where the meat can stay cold. lol

Something clever here.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by EZEARL
Maybe consider a Jeep Cherokee XJ. The 4.0 and AW4 trans are pretty much bomb proof and good for at least 300k miles. You can check them out here:
http://www.cherokeeforum.com/

This - I have a 2000 Cherokee Sport with 155000 miles on it and it has been completely trouble free, it does not use or leak any oil or other fluids. Auto, A/C, P/W, etc, comfortable and totally reliable, the only thing I have ever had to do to it is replace the battery last year - not bad for a vehicle that gets bad-mouthed a lot. I did do a 2-1/2 inch lift
on it because it gets used in a lot of rough country. The biggest trick is to get one that has been cared for and not abused, they are out there but it does require some searching. Lots of aftermarket support items are available. But I recommend making sure it is the fuel injected 4.0 engine - not the carburetor version.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
HEY drover have you had any issues with the 0331?

I've got a '96 w/159K trouble free miles other than regular maintenance and few aftermarket
upgrades. Probably going to have be replacing the suspension before long as the rear springs
are getting tired.
[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I had to google 0331 to find out what it referred to. It is not a problem that I have had. The only thing I have ever had to do is replace the battery, along with regular maintenance item as recommended.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Good hear. It's not an uncommon problem. Just keep doing what your doing and NEVER let it overheat.

IC B3

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

510 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 42 invisible), 2,390 guests, and 1,092 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,496
Posts18,452,430
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.