Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by Prwlr
Saw a fishing show recently on TV and they were using large Rapala top water lures to catch lake trout at Twin Lakes after ice out. IIRC the state record Brown trout was caught at the Roaring Judy fish hatchery with a Rapala.

Yep, big lures for big fish....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
All caught by the kids on 3.5" jointed Perch or Brown Trout pattern Rapalas trolled behind pop-gear or a jet-diver and flasher....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Wonderful memories for now and always, and some fine looking fish ! Good job and congratulations to all ! smile

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
I have fished with and caught lots of trout with Rapala Minnows and Smithwick Rougues. I use the F-11 in gold if the water flow is slow. If the water is rolling I usually use a Smithwick Rougue in Gold or silver. Or a big Rapala Husky Jerk in Rainbow trout. I usually fish them the last couple of hours in the afternoon or the first 2 hours in the morning. You throw them long casts and rip and reel back to the boat fast as you can and still keep them running true. Sounds like a crazy way to trout fish but it makes the bigger trout strike viciously. I never caught any 4 pound + trout until I started fishing jerk baits. I do this in tailrace rivers in Arkansas.

J
J
As crazy as it may seem...jerk baits are deadly on trout, especially browns. The tailwaters of south Holston in east Tennessee is some awesome fishing. Saw my cousin have some awesome days fishing rapalas down there, although I can never make myself put down the ol faithful TD MINNOW. best jerkbaits ever made IMHO

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Allen917
All of my Rapala lures are in my trout box, never used them for bass. I know they work great on the white river below Bull Shouls damn. That's the farthest east I've ever fished for trout.

we have a group of 8 of us that head down to the white river in late feb every year and fish for large browns. we catch a boat load of rainbows all day but we try to target the trophy browns
the one day that we use boats. those browns are every bit of a predator that bass are.large stick baits get thrown a lot and when one hits it there is no doubt. we stay at Gastons and have a great time with it.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
IC B2

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by JimHnSTL
All of my Rapala lures are in my trout box, never used them for bass. I know they work great on the white river below Bull Shouls damn. That's the farthest east I've ever fished for trout.

we have a group of 8 of us that head down to the white river in late feb every year and fish for large browns. we catch a boat load of rainbows all day but we try to target the trophy browns
the one day that we use boats. those browns are every bit of a predator that bass are.large stick baits get thrown a lot and when one hits it there is no doubt. we stay at Gastons and have a great time with it.

I have a friend that just bought a place close to there. I'm looking forward to imposing on his hospitality when he gets moved into his rebuilt house. The good thing is we usually work together, so if I have time off he does too. We are going to tear them trout up!

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I have a friend that just bought a place close to there. I'm looking forward to imposing on his hospitality when he gets moved into his rebuilt house. The good thing is we usually work together, so if I have time off he does too. We are going to tear them trout up!

Hey if he needs help fixing that place up i would be up for trading my services for accommodations whistle

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
As a kid we used Rapalas when trolling for trout and on the bigger rivers. It wasn't until a couple years ago my brother and I fished an average sized creek that he showed me how good they could be there too. We had pretty much always used spinners (mostly Panther Martins) and small spoons. In the morning he out fished me 7-1, but as the day warmed up the spinners took over as the favored bait.

My other brother had the same experience while fishing with the first one. So it looks like from out experience to fish the Rapalas in the morning (4"-6" size) and then switch to spinners.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

526 members (1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 19rabbit52, 10gaugeman, 1eyedmule, 54 invisible), 2,717 guests, and 1,220 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,710
Posts18,456,891
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.