Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
NEF @ 50 yards.
[Linked Image]

Encore @ 50 yards.
[Linked Image]

The load for both is 80 grains BH209, .50 cal 250 grain aerolite bullets, and Win 209 primers. The NEF Sidekick likes the load and as you can see the Encore doesn't. The load is for my daughter so I don't beat her to death, and she shot both groups. I'm trying to work out a good load for our Father/Daughter plains mule deer hunt, she has the buck tag and I'm after a doe.

The top three shots is after adjusting elevation with the NEF, the bottom one was her first shot. The bottom group is out of the Encore which was shooting about 15" low to start. Both rifle use fire sights, but the Encore has a much finer front sight and is actually the better sights. Both rifles are maxed out on elevation, I can't adjust them anymore.

I think I can live with the NEF and the way it is shooting. I'll try taking it out to 150 yards over the next few days. However, what should I try with the Encore? Should I increase the powder charge to 90 grains and see if that helps the elevation and tighten up the groups? I don't want to go too high in powder in case my daughter winds up shooting this rifle as she liked it better as far as recoil goes.

GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Is your daughter good with open sights? Sometimes it's hard to hold on the target consistently. If I were you I'd try 90 grains but also shoot some groups yourself just to check.

Also, my encores tended to shoot powerbelts best with a fouled bore, are you cleaning between shots?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
It's the Bergara barrel you sold me a little while back, for my daughter's hunt last year. I shattered my ankle Sep 29th last year and ruined her hunt, so this is the redux hunt. Anyway, she shoots irons very well and was coached at the Olympic training center before we moved away from COS. She hates recoil though, so I'm careful how hard I push her.

I'll shoot it some when she's not around tomorrow. I shot them to get on paper and she shot the groups. I was wet patching between rounds, I'll try it fouled.

Thanks for the info as always.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Good luck! I'd forgotten about that barrel, wish I'd worked up a load for it now. My comment about shooting better with a fouled bore applies to TC factory barrels; never shot the Bergara but it's worth a try.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Not to argue bullet choice.....I've used and still use PB's in some guns. However from the Blackhorn 209 website:

Loose fitting bullets, like the typical Powerbelts, may be convenient to load, but lack sufficient compression to assure consistent ignition or accuracy.
Because there are no standards in muzzleloading barrels, the diameters vary between all manufacturers and at times within the same manufacturer. A Powerbelt may fit nicely in one and slide to the bottom of another.
We recommend a quality tight fitting sabot for the most consistent accuracy and ignition.

Might try a different powder or bullet in the Encore to get it to shoot the way you want. also a lower front sight would help. I wouldn't worry about going to 90 grains if it shoots better for you though. Your daughter won't know the difference when shooting at a deer.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by tmitch
However from the Blackhorn 209 website:

We recommend a quality tight fitting sabot for the most consistent accuracy and ignition.

Well the problem is I can't use Sabots in Colorado. I have to use full bore projectiles. I have some other conicals to try but they are 350+ grains and that might be a little hard for my daughter to handle.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I understand, that's Blackhorns recommendation regarding ignition/accuracy issues with PBs. My reference to it is that maybe a different powder is in order to get lightweight PBs to shoot better out of that barrel?

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hornady makes FPBs in 300gr as well as the 350s.

Also, I think I saw somewhere that the new Federal conical is considered a non-sabot.

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Both my Tc's (Black Diamond and Impact)will shoot Power Belts to about 4" groups at 100 yards. Probably someone with younger eyes could do better.The Black Diamond does it with Black Powder, 777, or Prodex. The Impact with BH209.

I suspect it is more a question of the right powder charge rather than bullet fit

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Some guns like PB's, some don't. I had an Encore that would not hit a barn door at ten paces with'em.
But it shot Hornady SSt's in a tiny little group

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
I don't know if the Bergara barrel is going to like the Areolites. I tried 90 grains BH209 this morning and didn't patch between shots. Still extremely low and left at 100 yards and about 3" for a three shot group thought. I have some 777 and may try that, also have some 300 grain Keith nose PRB Conicals to try.

805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd try some cci209 primers or fed209 primers with your current loads first. Also checkout Thor muzzleloader bullets. Stick with bh209!

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Have always shot both a TC Endeavor and CVA APex with 90 grain of BH209 and barnes bullets and they were both crazy accurate. Have you tried Thor or Hornady FPB?

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by 805
I'd try some cci209 primers or fed209 primers with your current loads first. Also checkout Thor muzzleloader bullets. Stick with bh209!

Thor will send a four pack of bullets to let you find the correct diameter for your rifle. Then order the tightest that will go down the bore readily and use magnum primers.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

151 members (444Matt, 257robertsimp, 338reddog, 10gaugemag, 358WCF, 1_deuce, 20 invisible), 1,750 guests, and 1,097 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,184
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.