Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Godogs57
Tried 50 caliber brush, 410 brush.....it's stuck good. Looks like a broken she'll extractor might be my only hope. Boy when I mess up, I do a good job of it.

You didn't mess up. Not yet anyway. Get the broken shell extractor. The proper tool for the proper job.

Using anything not designed to remove broken brass is false economy. The damage you might do outweighs saving a few dollars.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
GB1

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Tried 50 caliber brush, 410 brush.....it's stuck good. Looks like a broken she'll extractor might be my only hope. Boy when I mess up, I do a good job of it.

Maybe they don't make brass brushes like they use too. I've got a 300 mag broken shell with the brush still in it around here some where. I couldn't get it out of the case when I pulled it from the chamber.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
As mentioned earlier, Cerrosafe. After trying the oversized brass brush technique and failing, I filled the headless case to beyond the case mouth with Cerrosafe. Dropping a solid brass rod (from the hardware store) from the muzzle end popped the stuck case out after two drops.

G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Doesn't cerrosafe contract a bit when it cools down? I seem to remember that. Would pop away from the brass case if that was the case...

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
try getting it (brass) really cold like blast with freon in chamber than try tight brush

Last edited by ldholton; 09/16/16.
IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Doesn't cerrosafe contract a bit when it cools down? I seem to remember that. Would pop away from the brass case if that was the case...

Did not seem to do so when I used it but then I did not wait that long after the Cerrosafe had solidify. Casting the Cerrosafe beyond the case mouth makes a mechanical step that prevents the Cerrosafe plug from pulling free of the brass.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have been using Cerrosafe to remove broken shell casing for 30 plus years and have never had a failure to remove the case. The heat from the Cerrosafe is the key.

Use an old bronze bristle brush on a coated cleaning rod, put a cleaning patch over the front end and insert from the muzzle. Stop just in front broken case and pour the melted Cerrosafe in the chamber and make sure the complete case is filled completely. Once solidified tap the cleaning rod and the case full of Cerrosafe will back out of the chamber.

Broken shell extractors are iffy at best and can scratch your chamber.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by carbon12

Did not seem to do so when I used it but then I did not wait that long after the Cerrosafe had solidify. Casting the Cerrosafe beyond the case mouth makes a mechanical step that prevents the Cerrosafe plug from pulling free of the brass.

Great advice, this,....I'll toss in that a reversed patch on a ring jag should push a wad of stout grease ahead of it, to a pre-determined depth,...the cerro to be poured against the grease, and the PATCH easily withdrawn.
Patches wadded up in front of Cerrosafe CAN create hassles, in the absence of a polished, damn close to bore sized, stick of drill rod.
Sticking bent stainless rods into the throat might not be condusive to long term accuracy, a stunt virtually BEGGING to chew up a critical area of the chamber.
I LOATHE the easy out idea,.... it's something from outer space.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have used a rat tail file on my bolt action rifles, always worked for me, but do what your comfortable with.

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by efw
4 words for you sir:

Lee

Collet

Neck

Sizer

Thank me later wink !

Been loading since 1975, my first magnum was a 300 WM in 1978 (?)

Never owned a collet neck sizer.

I too had incipient head separation from F L sizing till I learned how to stop sizing AT the shoulder. Only lost a few cases before I learned.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
I used a tap on a 264 case once , dont remember what size it took , and probably lucky that I didnt scratch the chamber

Id likely just go ahead and get the proper tool from Brownells

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I've definitely learned a few things about belted brass!

I can't add to this report except to get the brass really cold and it may help just enough.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
You don't need a neck sizer to avoid these issues but they guarantee that you do... plus they vastly improve case life and concentricity.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by efw
You don't need a neck sizer to avoid these issues but they guarantee that you do... plus they vastly improve case life and concentricity.

Collet or bushing neck sizers yes. Conventional neck sizers often aren't so good.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Yes thanks that is critical; expander buttons suck.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by mathman
My first experience with this. Shooting a Colt a Sauer 300 Win mag today with Nosler loading manual suggested loads (i.e.: no hot rodding) and once fired, in this rifle, WW brass. After my sixth shot the bolt locked down. Lifting it with a little more gusto and up pops the bolt and out rolls the case head.

I've tried my Dewey cleaning rod with a 30 cal tip and loose cleaning patch down the muzzle, hoping to catch the case mouth to no avail. Came in from the breech end with a stainless 1/8" wire bent to "hook" the case mouth....failed there too.

I'm at a loss now....any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

How far back did you move the shoulders when you resized the brass?

Belted brass when new is notorious for excessive "shoulder headspace." Combine that with a rear locking lug action and it's a good bet the brass moved pretty far on the first firing. If the secong firing was on heavily FL sized brass I could see it going.

BTW, I used "shoulder headspace" so some belt lover could save the trouble of reminding me it officially headspaces off the belt. grin

Another reason I prefer 404 Jeffrey based cases for a 30 cal magnum.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
If I ever go back to loading for my late father's 300 Win mag I'm not going to shoot new brass as-is. It'll be expanded a bit and then sized to a false shoulder for zero "shoulder headspace" from the get go.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by efw

Not to argue ! You may very well be right with more recently produced sizing dies.

A sincere question. Since '78/'79 I only have the SAME RCBS f l 300 WM dies >> WAS the Q C and production better then, than more recently produced dies/equipment ??

I have had no problems with good accurate handloads and very reasonable case life.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by mathman
If I ever go back to loading for my late father's 300 Win mag I'm not going to shoot new brass as-is. It'll be expanded a bit and then sized to a false shoulder for zero "shoulder headspace" from the get go.

This probably won't stop the stretching IME. The problem is sloppy chambers and short cases. Brass has to flow from somewhere to fill the chamber and the area in front of the belt is where it comes from.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I gotcha man I am with you.

Note the way I phrased that statement; when I said you don't need a neck sizer I meant you can adjust FLS die appropriately to avoid the issue, but that a non-expander button neck sizer guarantees you that and more.

I HATE full length sizers because early on I didn't know how to use em (I do now) and stick cases like mad so I leaned on collet neck sizers. Seeing the bonus effects of those over the FLS I never went back even after I learned proper use of the FLS.

You obviously learned how to use your FLS dies properly before I did so you haven't seen the need for them in the way I did. That's cool man don't fix what ain't broke but if ya wants try something new...

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (1beaver_shooter, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 45 invisible), 2,274 guests, and 1,232 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,552
Posts18,453,601
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.