-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Anyone ever use their custom boot fitting service?

I talked to them yesterday and am considering doing their full meal deal which will cost ~$850 including a pair of high end boots. I have a bunion on my left foot, really flat feet, and likely narrow heels but normal width in the forefoot. I've not had any serious issue but have never had a pair fit me perfectly.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I've used their service, and I have flat feet and bunions.

I've also used custom footbeds made by a local orthotist who made a cast of my feet in person. IMHO, there's no comparison.

If you're going to get a custom foot bed IMO it's very hard to do it right remotely (without actually seeing your feet) which is how Lathrop does it. They can get the outline of your foot right but the critical thing for someone with mis-aligned feet is the height and shape of the arch.

A good orthotist will put your ankle (and arch) in the neutral position and make a cast of your foot in that position, and use the cast to make foot beds with the arch the right height and shape. He'll do that by putting his hands on your ankle and moving it into the neutral position. That can't be done remotely, even with photos of your feet.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I just bought from them and haven't had enough time in the boots to give you a solid answer. I've always had a hard time finding/getting boots and rather than order a half dozen or dozen boots to find the right one, I chose to go with their service, and let them not only recommend what they felt was the right boot, but also work the fit and create their custom foot beds. Fit and feel are good so far. I ended up with a Lowa Tibet Wide.

That said:
1). It wasn't cheap and you'll pay about $800 for just the boots (boots+ custom fitting) as well as the ~$150 for the measuring/fitting service.
2). You may want to consider Smokepole's advice. He's definitely one of the good guys here and I value his word and experience. My only apprehension is if you use a local podiatrist, you still have to select the right boot for your feet and hunting style.

Best of luck.

Last edited by Akbob5; 09/17/16.

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No, but I did custom Whites many years back. Replacements come from the same lasts at regular costs.

Expensive, but damned well worth it.

Last edited by 1minute; 09/17/16.

1Minute
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Akbob5
My only apprehension is if you use a local podiatrist, you still have to select the right boot for your feet and hunting style.

Absolutely Bob. The way I understand it, they (Lathrop) don't really make you a "custom" boot, they recommend one that they believe will fit your foot best. The real "custom" part of their service is the footbeds.

The boots will either fit or they won't.

Last edited by smokepole; 09/17/16.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Good info guys.

God thought smoke - your feet sound like mine - flat but I have one semi normal foot (right) and one not so much (big toe bunion).

I've never had major foot issues but would like a good pair of boots that fit well.

I did 23 miles today with a 20 lb daypack. Used Salomon Quest 4D, Smartwool socks, and heel lock lacing. Love that combo. I really need a good pair of 400 gram boots for elk hunting and id be set for a while.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
AK - I'd be curious you thoughts after this hunting season using their recommendations.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by bwinters
I did 23 miles today with a 20 lb daypack.

Nice, 23 miles in a day, your feet can't be all bad.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by Akbob5
My only apprehension is if you use a local podiatrist, you still have to select the right boot for your feet and hunting style.

Absolutely Bob. The way I understand it, they (Lathrop) don't really make you a "custom" boot, they recommend one that they believe will fit your foot best. The real "custom" part of their service is the footbeds.

The boots will either fit or they won't.

As I understand it, they work the boot over a bit; stretch, maybe grind it, whatever, work on the fit once they pick the right boot for you. Then add their foot beds.

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
That's exactly what I understood when I talked to them last week. They don't build you a custom boot, they do custom fitting. My feet aren't in bad shape which is why i thought custom fitting might be the way to go. The service isn't cheap but cheaper than buying 3-4 pairs of high end boots and doing trial and error. I'm looking at it as though they will cut my learning curve and time spent walking around in mis-fitting boots - if it works. If not, were back to trial and error and out the cost of 2 pair of high end boots. I'm only going to do if I'm convinced it will work. Other wise ordering a pair of Crisis, Lowas, and Hanwags would cost the same and get me to the same place.......

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The Solomon fit me very good. My goal is to find the correlative 400 gr 'elk' boot. I have a pair of Cabela's Mendeils and they feel great walking around flattish ground. When I load a pack, it feels like my heels move around too much. I'll find out in a few weeks when I head to WY for elk followed the next week by CO elk. If I can still walk, I might be good. <G>

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I have a hard time with boots but found the Kenetreks fit me best out of the box.
I wanted a pair of hiking boots for my Nevada bear hunt and was about to give up when a young lady at Rei was a great help.She suggested inserts- I always figured $200-$400 for a pair of boots and another $50 for insert was crazy!
Well after a little help she suggested going up a size in inserts ( arch difference in a size bigger)and trimming the front to fit and she was right on.After wearing the Asolos for a month and then a bear hunt for a week behind hounds and not a issue.Some stores like Rei and running stores have machines that can suggest what custom fit features might be helpful.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

252 members (2500HD, 12344mag, 163bc, 257 mag, 007FJ, 28 invisible), 1,863 guests, and 1,008 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,290
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.