Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
AJD Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I have other 9MMs none are "1911", all are dbl stack, some alloy, some steel. I have an older (76) Belgium Browning, so I don't need one of those.

No offense to anyone but I Don't want plastic.

I'm considering the 1911 option, mostly thinking commander sized alloy frame. I may carry it some, but that isn't a primary consideration as I have others that are better suited.

I like the rounded butt, I have a couple 1911s in that configuration and a Ruger SR CMD1911 45ACP modified with the "bobtail" that I like a lot.

I'm thinking the Alloy Ruger SR1911 CMD in 9mm and do the bobtail again.
I like that they are using a ramped barrel, as my other alloy 9MMs use a ramped barrel and I've had no issues with them.

Who has one or used one (Ruger CMD 9mm 1911)?

How have they performed?

What else should I consider in a 1911 style in this price range? I figure I'll have about $1000 in it with the mods
(grips, bobtail, FO optic FS)?

Thanks for your help and input,
AJD

There is no accounting for taste.

Experience is a great thing as long as one survives it.

Generally, there ain't a lot that separates the two however,
Barely making it is a whole lot more satisfying than barely not making it.
GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I've never been a fan of the 1911 in 9mm, but I've seen some really lovely ones that have tempted me! The Ruger seems to be road ready and has good reviews. I've been considering one in .45acp, but have to admit, 9mm is a lot cheaper here in bulk than .45acp.

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I'd take a look at Springfield's EMP line. Never owned one, but if you have to have a 9mm 1911 it makes sense to me to get one sized for 9mm.

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I have been shooting Colt Commanders in 9mm and .38 Super since 1980...much better rounds for light weight 1911s...hardly any kick at all.

Have not shot the new Ruger yet but looks like a very fine gun for the price...

Have had two of the Kimber Aegis and they are also great guns... There is also now a Commander sized one.

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dan Wesson Guardian is your huckleberry.

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -Will Rogers

"If you have a lot of self control you don't need a lot of government control" - Thomas Sowell
IC B2

AJD Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Dan, that was why I was considering the 9, cheaper to shoot. I have several 45 1911s and don't need another. I enjoy shooting the 1911, just fun for me.

Mike, I'm not familiar with the EMP, I'll have to take a look see.

Bob, I do like my Ruger CMD in 45 and is why this is a consideration. I also have the Kimber Super Carry Pro HD, a SS round butt. IMO a fine cmd sized 45acp pistol, I like it a lot.

Mink, I have long lusted after the Guardian, just never could make myself bite the bullet so to speak.

Thanks guys.

Last edited by AJD; 09/18/16.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The 4" lightweight EMP, 1911 design but actually built for the 9mm rather than a .45 modified to handle 9mm.

3 mags, 10+1 capacity and fits like it was designed around your very own hand. With Ambi-safety.

I'll be grabbing one this week.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Kenneth
The 4" lightweight EMP, 1911 design but actually built for the 9mm rather than a .45 modified to handle 9mm.

3 mags, 10+1 capacity and fits like it was designed around your very own hand. With Ambi-safety.

I'll be grabbing one this week.

If I was buying a 1911 in 9mm, the new EMP 4" model would be my choice, hands down.

I had one of the first EMP 9's that was shipped when they first came out. Mine was uber reliable and very accurate, too. I only got rid of it to get the .40 cal version when it was released.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In 9mm I'd buy the new Colt, it's a very nice pistol. They even went back to the old style roll mark.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
serious question, other than just being "old school" and wanting a traditional style gun, why would you buy a Colt 9mm over a G19?

IC B3

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Classic design.

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by jimmyp
serious question, other than just being "old school" and wanting a traditional style gun, why would you buy a Colt 9mm over a G19?

I own both... I carry the Commander .38 Super 95% of the time because:

Pointability...the bullet goes where I look. The Glock having a much different grip angle shoots high.

Trigger pull...once the safety is off the trigger pull on all my 1911s break like glass with no takeup between 3.5-4.5 pounds. The Glock has a two-stage pull the takeup being 3.5# and the break 5.3#.

Grip...The 1911 just fits my hand. I'm not sure if Glocks fit anyone's hands. As a LE friend once put it after being issued a Glock 21..."it's like shooting a beer bottle"..

Slide thickness....I wear the 1911 IWB. If I wear the Glock the exact same way after a couple of hours my hip begins to hurt. Glocks are just "boxy".

...and plastic has no soul.

Bob

...and to be fair, if I had to travel and defend myself overseas...my #1 pick would be a Glock 19.

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I can see a 38 super, but 9mm the 1911 seems a big platform for this cartridge and only 10 shots.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

NRA Life Member
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Y'all know that a HiPower fits nicely in a Commander holster, right? wink

Originally Posted by supercrewd

A bit lighter than the HiPower, but with a few less rounds. Should be hard to beat for fast follow-up shots, even for the more recoil sensitive. I'd be all over that - but I already have a HiPower. laugh

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

AJD Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

Jimmy, there's no accounting for taste. I guess the reason they are still making em is that people like me are still buying em.

Seems like some of "US" are always going to be old school. One day someone will be asking the same thing about why folks are buying glocks when there is something else newer more sparkley on the shelves.

I guess the biggest reason for me is - I just don't want one. No offense intended.

AJD

Last edited by AJD; 09/21/16.

AJD Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by supercrewd

Yes that is one I was thinking on...

In no particular order:
Ruger
Colt
Dan Wesson
Springfield

I put a bid on a Guardian, but someone raised me and I am thinking I would rather talk to my local Gun Smith/Dealer about a trade, so not a bad thing. In the past he has treated me well.

I have a Kimber Stainless that has all the goodies and functions flawlessly. It is one I've had quite a while and is very accurate, so I have been reluctant to let it go.

But I don't shoot it as much as the others. And I really don't care about all the goo-ga it has so...

Last edited by AJD; 09/21/16.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
While the G19 really is a "better" pistol in most ways, it's not for everyone. Some people don't shoot a G19 all that well.

The ergonomics of the Commander are better, and you'd have a hard time finding someone who actually thinks a G19 feels better in their hand than a single stack 1911. Trigger is worlds better, so when you add those two together, most people will shoot the 9mm Commander better than the Glock.

Still, that by itself doesn't make the Commander a "better" pistol, just perhaps "better" for the guy who doesn't shoot the Glock very well.

But keep in mind, just because the G19 is "better" in many ways, doesn't mean everyone absolutely needs that "better" in a daily CC gun. If the gun is sufficiently reliable for CC, then there's nothing wrong at all with just carrying the gun you like, rather than what everyone says is "better".

AJD Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I know the Glock is a fine weapon, it just isn't one for me.

I did track down a Springfield a RO Compact in 9mm, was nice but for me the grip was smallish. I liked the sights and that it didn't have, as far as I could tell in the dark sales office without stripping, it no FPB safety. A nice pistol. Guy behind the counter had no clue as to if it did or didn't. But I couldn't see sign of one of the slide.

Anyhow, I decided if I'm going to get a 1911, I want it in a 45acp, no real reason. I suppose because I have other alloy 9MMs about that size, PCRs, they fill that task.

Thanks for all the input, now to decide on which one.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 1234, 11point, 10ring1, 66 invisible), 3,036 guests, and 1,167 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,340
Posts18,468,698
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.