Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Nice rifle and good find. Get all the documentation you can and keep it safe.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by carbon12
Do you know if the other copy sold?

Hello carbon12

Thansk for the reply.

I don't think so - you can look it up on Amazon.com

Originally Posted by bigwhoop
Nice rifle and good find. Get all the documentation you can and keep it safe.

Hello bigwhoop

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I'll keep trying. I'm hoping more forum members will find articles that were published about this rifle by Jack Lott, or Harold French, and contact me.

You never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Anjin

Some might be interested to know that the issue of "Guns & Ammo Big Bore Rifles" in question done by Jack (Jacques) Lott has become a collectors item. The last time I saw it mentioned on Amazon.com, a copy was offered for over $300. It is likely much higher today since that was years ago. As I recall, it was originally $2.95.

It is a good read and informative. I personally have two copies. One is heavily marked up by me in researching for an African hunting trip. The other has been kept untouched and I may give it to my son.

I have a couple of issues I have kept also and the piece Jack wrote on his tussle and being tossed by the buffalo is quite interesting. He admits that it was completley caused by his gut shooting the buff and was in no way the fault of the 458. He even goes on to say how great the 458 performed and how in the hands of Wally Johnson it saved his life .
all of this has been completely ignored by a few writers either have never read it , or who chose to make up stories about how Jack's bashing was the fault of the poor ballistics of the 458.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by buckstix
... Would you be so kind as to also show the photo from page 194.

Buckstix-
The photo below is the one you requested, but I'm a bit late because you posted a part of it above. You're also better at avoiding edge effects with a scanner.
[Linked Image]
The caption states yours is a "three-slot 458 Mauser". I'll admit unfamiliarity with the 3-slot term. If it's not a typo, would you clarify?

Page 193 shows a stock inletted and with with glass bedding for a "big-bore Mauser". There appears to be a serial number in the glass bedding of the recoil lug. Does that match your rifle?

--Bob

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 458Win
I have a couple of issues I have kept also and the piece Jack wrote on his tussle and being tossed by the buffalo is quite interesting. He admits that it was completley caused by his gut shooting the buff and was in no way the fault of the 458. He even goes on to say how great the 458 performed and how in the hands of Wally Johnson it saved his life .

All of this has been completely ignored by a few writers either have never read it, or who chose to make up stories about how Jack's bashing was the fault of the poor ballistics of the 458.

Hello 458Win

thanks for the reply.

I've also heard and read that the bashing was the fault of the under-powered 458 WM and that's the reason why Lott made the larger "458 Lott" wildcat cartridge. Later I found out that story was all BS. - just another urban legend.

Originally Posted by BullShooter
Buckstix-
The photo below is the one you requested, but I'm a bit late because you posted a part of it above....

....You're also better at avoiding edge effects with a scanner.
The caption states yours is a "three-slot 458 Mauser". I'll admit unfamiliarity with the 3-slot term. If it's not a typo, would you clarify?

Page 193 shows a stock inletted and with with glass bedding for a "big-bore Mauser". There appears to be a serial number in the glass bedding of the recoil lug. Does that match your rifle?

--Bob

Hello BullShooter

Thanks for the reply.

Thanks for the picture, but I found a copy of that Gun Digest on the bookshelf at my gun club. I took pictures of the pages with a camera.

I'm not familiar with the term "3-slot" either, I think perhaps it was a typo and should have said "3-shot" as my rifle holds 3 in the mag box. ? ? ? - just a guess.

No, the stock shown on page 193 is not mine. My gun's serial number is 4-digits, and not stamped on the bottom of the action in that location.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by FC363
This photo is also shown on page 83 of that Big Bore Rifle magazine, as well as another inset photo of him at the bench with it.

Hello FC363

Thanks for the reply.

If you know of any other references to this rifle, please let me know.

Evidently somebody spent $400 on the last one on Amazon. shocked

"Give a lazy man the toughest job, and he will find the easiest way to do it"
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hello FC363

Thanks for the reply.

Last week Amazon had 4 copies listed - $150 - $400 - $795 - $3995

Now all are gone.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hello FC363

Thanks for the reply.

Now all are gone.

$3995? eek

I hope the hell I kept my copy! Think I need to find it!

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
$3995.00 that must have been a signed copy by Jack Lott.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
I hope the hell I kept my copy! Think I need to find it!

Hello tex n cal,

Thanks for your reply.

Good idea, and put a price tag on it so your heirs don't sell it at a garage sale for a $1 when your gone.

Originally Posted by elkhunternm
$3995.00 that must have been a signed copy by Jack Lott.

Hello elkhunterm,

Thanks for the reply.

For $3995, it should have been "signed" by Lott, dedicated to the buyer, and included a "self-e" of him signing.

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
458: Can you explain why Lott in the Guns and Ammo article "He (Lott) admits that it was completley caused by his gut shooting the buff and was in no way the fault of the 458" yet in ".458 Winchester Magnum The Truth, the Whole Truth!" Hunting Horizons Premier Issue 1992 page 50 Lott clearly attributes the lack of velocity and therefor inadequate penetration to the .458's hyper-compression problems due to "inadequate (for nitrocellulose) volumetric capacity"?
Regarding "how in the hands of Wally Johnson it saved his life" do you think that the buffalo that used Lott as "the quoit in a game of buffalo toss" (Craig Boddington page 552 Any Shot You Want) succumbed because of shots 3,4,5,6,7,8,9 from Johnson's .375 H&H or shots 10 and 11 from the .458 after it moved off from the stream bed?

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hello bobmn,

Thanks for your reply.

I think that account explains it well.

Have you found any other published articles that show this rifle?

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Buck: Sorry, no.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hello bobmn,

Thanks for the reply.

If you ever run across any articles or dditional references to this rifle, or Howard French using it in the field, please contact me.

In the meantime, I've contacted the Fennville Rod And Gun Club in Michigan, where the rifle's original purchaser was a member, but now deceased, and offered a Reward / Finder's Fee for the photos and documents I'm seeking. I'm thinking that perhaps some of these items may have been purchased by his fellow club members upon his death.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dave Scovill, who edited the Lott piece Wolfe Pub ran by Jack Lott that bashed the standard 458 had never seen Jack's original piece he had written soon after his buffalo episode. I copied the entire G&A Big Bore magazine and sent it to him and he was completely suprised by Jack's 180% turnarond.
My only conclusion is that Jack wanted to boost the fame of the cartridge with his name on it and, like so many gun writers, bashing a particular object appears to be one way to show their "expertise"

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
This has been very interesting and enlightening. Thanks to all who have contributed.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am sure someone on here could copy features from the first G&A Big Bore magazine and post it for all to see as the original magazines seem to be priced out of sight currently.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Hello FC363

Thanks for the reply.

Now all are gone.

If someone wants a copy and is willing to part with
3995.00 USD, this one, unsigned, is available. laugh

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hello 458Win,

Thanks for the reply.

So far I've found references to my rifle in;

1983 Big Bore rifles

1984 Guns Digest

1886 Gun Digest Hunting Annual

Do you know of any other publications that reference this rifle with text or pictures? By either by Jack Lott or Howard French?

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Well, I just acquired another Jack Lott built rifle.

See my new post - "Jack Lott Rifle - another 458WM built by Jack Lott"

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/11659878#Post11659878

[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
127 members (257 mag, 6mmCreedmoor, 160user, 35, 6mmbrfan, 10Glocks, 14 invisible), 1,805 guests, and 809 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,776
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.