-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
TucoTom Offline OP
OP Offline
My first post..
I recently purchased a Savage 99EG (5184XX)1948 vintage rifle. I also purchased a Marbles S1 Flexible Peep sight from E-Bay.

My problem is that the knurled knob won't turn so that I can adjust the height of the peep stem. The knob is locked tight..

Am I correct in assuming this knurled knob is designed to turn?

I have read the last 100 posts and really enjoyed learning about my Savage 99.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There are two knurled knobs, the longer top is smaller diameter and adjusts the height, the shorter bottom is larger diameter and is used as a jamb nut to lock the top. You must turn the bottom one to loosen it before you can turn the top, it's standard right hand thread so looking at it from the top you turn it clockwise. Soak it with Kroil or another penetrating oil to help make sure it will turn.

Gene
TucoTom Offline OP
OP Offline
The sight has been soaking in Kroil..the bottom knob moves but the top knob won't budge. I'll try some heat...
Thanks for your reply....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would be a little worried about using heat on a sight - be careful! Don't try to put to much force on it, the inner split sleeve all the parts fit on is very thin & I have seen many examples with it broken or bent.

I think I have some old pictures of some broken ones I will try to find, it might help for you to see what the inside looks like. With the bottom locking collar turned all the way down the upper adjusting collar will have a little bit of up & down play, IF IT WASN'T BOTTOMED OUT, so you might be able to work it up & down to loosen it if it's frozen to the inner sleeve, if it moves a little up & down then it is only frozen to the threads of the stem.

added - Found the picture -
[Linked Image]

Last edited by GeneB; 09/18/16. Reason: added another note

Gene
TucoTom Offline OP
OP Offline
The top collar is locked tight, I'm afraid anything I do will break the sight. I had a good grip in the collar with a small vice grip using a piece of elk hide for protection. The upper knob didn't move a bit.
I have a feeling I was taken on that internet purchase.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Keep soaking it with Kroil, I have had it take quite a while to work on some things, you can see how thin that inner sleeve is and It doesn't look like it would take to much force to twist it off. I have had to send a few internet purchased sights back.

Gene
TucoTom Offline OP
OP Offline
It's soaking...thanks for the pictures..big help.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Welcome TucoTom!

Lotsa good folks here on the Savage Forum.

dave

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I sorted through my 'junk' Marble's today & took a couple more pictures that show all the parts & some variations you will find. There seem to be a lot of Marble's tang sights around in need of repair (and many beyond repair).
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Gene
TucoTom Offline OP
OP Offline
The top knurled knob is turning and the stem seems to be changing height. Still to tight to turn with my fingers.
The pictures where a big help...thanks.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TucoTom
The pictures where a big help...thanks.
Your welcome, but I bet the Kroil was a lot more help!

Gene
N
N
Does anyone know how to straighten the base plate of a sight?the gun must have fallen over or something or got hit hard on the peep sight.the base is bent up right at the very back.

N
N
Originally Posted by nyhunter
Does anyone know how to straighten the base plate of a sight?the gun must have fallen over or something or got hit hard on the peep sight.the base is bent up right at the very back.

I had the same issue with a Marbles S1 on an 1899 that i just restored.
After I determined where I needed to bend it, I put it in a vise and tapped on it with a hammer until it was just right.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
Give me liberty or give me death.

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

111 members (16penny, 280shooter, 257robertsimp, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 14idaho, 18 invisible), 1,294 guests, and 861 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,056
Posts18,463,223
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.