Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RWE
When the economy went to [bleep], and I liquidated my arsenal, I kept my 222, and unleashed unholy carnage with it. Head, neck, CNS. DRT.....

You want some 50gr Blitz's? I'll give you a box.

Originally Posted by Dude270
Rustydog,

I'd also be happy to send you some 55 Hornadys if you like. Pm me if you want some

The generosity shown by these 2 posts (plus the freely-given friendly advice in other posts), is what keeps me coming back to the 'Fire!

I'd send some bullets for you to test too, but sending bullets to the US isn't really possible (I'm in Sweden).

John

GB1

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jpb

I'd send some bullets for you to test too, but sending bullets to the US isn't really possible (I'm in Sweden).

John

Over that distance, sending women would be more cost effective.

I'll pm you my address....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RWE
Originally Posted by jpb

John

That's funny right there!

This post is a great start to another week and daily grind

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have used Sierra/Speer Bench rest bullets in a 222 to take a handful of WT deer. Key is to pick your shot, I took high shoulder shots and never had one run. Meat loss is to be expected within reason. Used IMR 4320 and kept speed around 3000, IIRC, it was many years ago. It will work, if you can shoot.

CK
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RWE
Originally Posted by jpb

John

I would like in on this deal. Let me know what you would like in trade......

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jpb
Originally Posted by RWE
When the economy went to [bleep], and I liquidated my arsenal, I kept my 222, and unleashed unholy carnage with it. Head, neck, CNS. DRT.....

You want some 50gr Blitz's? I'll give you a box.

Originally Posted by Dude270
Rustydog,

I'd also be happy to send you some 55 Hornadys if you like. Pm me if you want some

The generosity shown by these 2 posts (plus the freely-given friendly advice in other posts), is what keeps me coming back to the 'Fire!

John

john,

I've heard that Swedish women are rowdy and fun. Any truth to this?

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I appreciate all of the useful information for everyone. I've done very little reloading but to achieve what I want with this round I feel like it's my only option. I love the versatility of the gun is why I hung on to it

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Reloading opens up new worlds, makes your rifle much more versatile.

Plus it's enjoyable.

May turn you into a screaming Loony... shocked

DF

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 2muchgun
Originally Posted by RWE
Originally Posted by jpb

John

I would like in on this deal. Let me know what you would like in trade......

Originally Posted by 79inpa
john,
I've heard that Swedish women are rowdy and fun. Any truth to this?

Ah, gentlemen the rumors about Swedish women (of which you have clearly heard) are true.

On a scale from frog to handsome prince, I'm much closer to the frog end of the spectrum and yet several attractive Swedish women have taken advantage of me... smile

However, I am sorry to report that when the USA put export controls on anything firearms-related (e.g. empty brass cases, fiberglass gun stocks), Sweden retaliated with export controls on Hot Swedish Babes. wink

I support this policy because I need all the help I can get!

John

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Rustydog

While reloading is a great way to go, If you are not set up for it it's not totally necessary. A 50 grain soft point from remington, Winchester or federal will kill deer just fine in your 222. Just take a CNS shot or put one tight behind the shoulder. This may sound like heresy to some but it will work fine.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It is a BS policy...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Never owned a 222 but have shot enough deer with a 223 to know if you put a decent bullet where it belongs they work well. I'm a big fan of V max 50 gr in 223 shot a lot in Va on kill permits and in Wva in general season . Big disadvantage in any 22 cal is small or non existant blood trail. However shoot em right and no tracking required.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A 45gr Barnes X from a .221 Fireball dropped this little guy where he stood.

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Rusty- I have seen two big mule deer harvested using a .222. both were shot below the ear. 55 grain soft point. there are many bullets that would work. placement was perfect by skilled hunters and very accurate rifles.

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Scgunnut that's pretty impressive where did you place the bullet? I haven't killed a deer with a gun in about 6 years but have harvested several with a bow. I think I took 11 last year and I've timed it about perfect as I'm just now almost out of venison. I know how to be patient and place my shots. I'm hesitant on head/neck shots because if you don't hit them perfectly then you can have a mess on your hands. I like the behind the shoulder shot better as your margin for error is slightly larger. Come to think of it the last deer I harvested with a rifle was slightly over 300 yards and a head shot. Pretty certain it's the only head shot I've ever made on a deer. I do it quite often on wild boar.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've killed a few mule deer with behind the shoulder shots and a 52 grain hollow point target bullet. Not supposed to work but it does, just fine.

LOL
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rustydog
Scgunnut that's pretty impressive where did you place the bullet?

He was quartered towards me at around 60 yards and I shot him on the onside shoulder. He never took a step. The bullet didn't exit and I tried to recover it but it ended up in the guts somewhere I guess. Would have liked to have seen how that little X expanded. I shot one with a 53gr X in a .225 Winchester and it exited and is probably still orbiting the Earth...

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
So here is my current hold up. Will I be better hand loading something such as a 50 grain X or shooting a V max in hornady superformance due to the increased velocity/energy

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've only shot small critters with the V-Max, but I think it's the last bullet I'd ever try on deer. It might work if you can slip it right down the ear, though.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rustydog
So here is my current hold up. Will I be better hand loading something such as a 50 grain X or shooting a V max in hornady superformance due to the increased velocity/energy

I sooner go with the cup and core rather than a varmint bullet.

seriously, if you want some Sierra 50's, pm me.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

89 members (6mmCreedmoor, 338Rules, 16penny, 338reddog, 15 invisible), 1,180 guests, and 835 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,056
Posts18,463,227
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.