Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Hell yes, they make good hats..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Seafire
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
I remember when I first joined this site Seafire gave me chit for killing Coons because he had one for a pet....

So i guess you could say they make good pets....................for those without a life....

WoW!!!

I really have to apologize to ya there Field Grade....

I had no idea that that bothered you so much you've carried that with you for all of these years.....

You have my apologies.... didn't realize me liking the little critters would have you grinding an axe over that for how many years now...

Makes me agree with your statement about those 'not having a life'...

I'll attempt to do better in the future for ya...

if I knew it had that much of an impact on ya, I'd have apologized and made amends much sooner....

Hey.....I'm not the one who got upset over the idea of killing a Coon...
Or maybe you were just trying to show the new guy who's boss around here....
Don't know....Don't care....

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Raccoons keep us from being overrun with pheasants & ducks.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Yes! Wouldn't want that!

I am MAGA.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Badgerloader

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

SO MANY funny people here !

Went to my lease last weekend , had my model seven 308 in hand when I walked to the feeders -hoping there might be a hog around. Didn't see any -then saw something grey in color up on my hanging feeder -turned around and sneaked back to the truck to get my suppressed cz 22lr. I thought it was a squirrel -but turned out to be a small coon maybe 10lbs. -I've never seen any real big ones down here.
I stalked up close maybe 15 yards and waited for a good shot making sure not to shoot my feeder thrower . The coon was hanging upside down with all four legs getting corn chewing with its mouth open -corn steadily falling out of its mouth like it was wasting it on purpose. I put the crosshair on it's neck and dropped it -I stepped out away from the edge to get a better look and another small coon was already looking at the shot coon . As I drew a bead on it a bigger coon ran out raising cane -growling- and bit at the shot coon that was making noises . Bang -got it in the neck and down into the heart/lung -chambered another -bang- hit the one I initially saw looking at the first shot coon -3 dead now .
Took a couple of steps and saw movement in a tree only 15 ft. up bang -bang still moving load in a couple more rounds quickly -3rd bang out of the tree it comes. 4 dead coons in less than a minute .
My feeders should have still had plenty of corn in them -but all were empty -these buggers will come and spend all day and night spinning corn out of the feeders. My night lights were so muddy from the coons that I had to get a rag and water and clean them off .
I once saw eleven coons at another spot on my lease and shot a few of them with the CCI Quiet 22 ammo -it is quite under powered for coons.

Anyway they sure make a suppressed rifle worth having & are great sport for a Bow , of which I fine tuned mine today .
I didn't have any ice with me or I would have peeled all of them.

Look on youtube for instructions on how to clean a coon --yes they are very good to eat if cooked right , just clean them immediately .
I gave two city-slicker women a piece last winter and they loved it .
Possum is just as good .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
I love a happy ending.

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ol_mike

Went to my lease last weekend , had my model seven 308 in hand when I walked to the feeders -hoping there might be a hog around. Didn't see any -then saw something grey in color up on my hanging feeder -turned around and sneaked back to the truck to get my suppressed cz 22lr. I thought it was a squirrel -but turned out to be a small coon maybe 10lbs. -I've never seen any real big ones down here.
I stalked up close maybe 15 yards and waited for a good shot making sure not to shoot my feeder thrower . The coon was hanging upside down with all four legs getting corn chewing with its mouth open -corn steadily falling out of its mouth like it was wasting it on purpose. I put the crosshair on it's neck and dropped it -I stepped out away from the edge to get a better look and another small coon was already looking at the shot coon . As I drew a bead on it a bigger coon ran out raising cane -growling- and bit at the shot coon that was making noises . Bang -got it in the neck and down into the heart/lung -chambered another -bang- hit the one I initially saw looking at the first shot coon -3 dead now .
Took a couple of steps and saw movement in a tree only 15 ft. up bang -bang still moving load in a couple more rounds quickly -3rd bang out of the tree it comes. 4 dead coons in less than a minute .
My feeders should have still had plenty of corn in them -but all were empty -these buggers will come and spend all day and night spinning corn out of the feeders. My night lights were so muddy from the coons that I had to get a rag and water and clean them off .
I once saw eleven coons at another spot on my lease and shot a few of them with the CCI Quiet 22 ammo -it is quite under powered for coons.

Anyway they sure make a suppressed rifle worth having & are great sport for a Bow , of which I fine tuned mine today .

Look on youtube for instructions on how to clean a coon --yes they are very good to eat if cooked right , just clean them immediately .
Possum is just as good .

Great story, definitely more exciting than Jeff_O's deer hunt! His 11 days of posts, culminated with the harvest of a spike. laugh. laugh

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Possum is just as good .

Holey road kill....I never met anyone that would eat Possum....

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Pretty common in the South.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I hate the bastards. We put axle grease on the legs of our feeders to keep them off, but they just keep trying to climb them until they rub all the grease off, then get to the spreader. They are smart though, here's one spinning corn for the ones on the ground!
[Linked Image]

"Not a Gun Free Zone"
IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Holey road kill....I never met anyone that would eat Possum...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The possums I pick up off the road are 'tenderized' still good to eat if they haven't been there more than a few days ! laf.
Hclark I've captured hundreds of pictures like that -squirrels are actually worse they will chew up and destroy anything human made at a lease.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Holey road kill....I never met anyone that would eat Possum...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The possums I pick up off the road are 'tenderized' still good to eat if they haven't been there more than a few days ! laf.

[Linked Image]

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MOGC
Coons are only interested in three things... Can they eat it? Can they screw it? Can they chit on it? That's all they care about. I kill every one of the little bastards I legally can.

^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
They used to serve a helluva purpose...

Back when I was in high school, they translated to gas, rodeo, and beer money.

$35 per big coon skin.

That was a lot of money back then..

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
There is one thing I can think of off hand they are good for.....this:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Those are dam nice hounds ms.....are they yours....

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
ABSOLUTELY a great purpose for coon

Originally Posted by msinc
There is one thing I can think of off hand they are good for.....this:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Life is but the memories we've created.....Sully Erna
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Ya to aggravate me and steal my bird food, crap in my garage. I've disposed of eight of the masked bandits so far this year. Bought six of the hand hold traps from Fleming Traps and will resume setting them here in a few days.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
Ah!! Coons and hounds.. Memories of my youth.. Great stuff.. Thanks for the show!

Molon Labe
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
They used to serve a helluva purpose...

Back when I was in high school, they translated to gas, rodeo, and beer money.

$35 per big coon skin.

That was a lot of money back then..

I wouldn't turn down 35 now....

Me

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

694 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 1234, 71 invisible), 3,529 guests, and 1,199 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,271
Posts18,467,379
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.