Print Thread
Hop To
H
Hook Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I know this forum is oriented toward the latest and greatest optics, but I hope someone here can answer a few questions for me.

I have a weakness for junky old shooters, especially sporterized military rifles. This poor thing came through the gun show this afternoon and it just appealed to me beyond reason. I cannot imagine it having any value at all, but I just couldn't resist it. It is a Model of 1917 with a Weaver 330 M8(?) with a post reticle and Stith mounts. Most of the finish is gone from all metal and the action and wood has been extensively modified. There are no markings on the rifle except a very faint 30-06 on the barrel.

Here are my questions:

1) Is this an M8? You can see 330 on one side of the Stith ring and an 8 on the other, as if the M is covered.

2) Would you think the scope would survive if I fired the rifle extensively? My cell camera did not do justice to the glass or the view down the tube. It is not crystal clear but is definitely usable. I plan to use the thing if for nothing other than a truck gun. I can always remove it and put on a modern scope.

3) If I do remove it, would the scope and Stith mounts have any value to anyone?

Your ideas and feedback would be greatly appreciated. Don't laugh at my new rifle....it has loads of character and I wish it could tell me what it has experienced.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a passion for vintage rifles & optics. If it were mine to use as a truck gun, I'd leave the entire package together.

1. Weaver model 330 scopes didn't have an M8 designation to my knowledge.

2. The scope has survived to date in relatively good shape, after more than 80 years of probable use. It'll more than likely stand up to additional use & test shooting will tell you how it is adjusting & holding the POI. I love those old post reticles: I have one in my Noske Fieldscope.

3. The Weaver 330 scope & Stith Streamline mount do have value on the collector market & a quick preview on Ebay & Gunbroker will give you an idea of current market values.

H
Hook Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
To adjust the POI, do you just turn the adjustment screws with a screwdriver, or is it necessary to turn the knurled knob around it to unlock it first?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Upon further research, I stand corrected. There was a 330-M8 scope designation which would significantly increase its value. From what I've discovered, there were two 330 scope designations for the WWII 1903A4 sniper rifle.

The first is the commercially available 330S-M8 marked scope with post reticle for early A4 rifles. The "S" designates it as the silent screw adjustment with knurled locking collar.

The second is the military 330C-M73B1 marked scope with crosswire reticle for later A4 rifles. The "C" designates finger click adjustment knobs.

Your scope appears to be marked "330 SCOPE M-8" and should adjust by loosening the knurled collar, rotate & adjust the screws by screw driver or coin, and then while maintaining the screw position, finger tighten the knurled collar.

Hope this additional information helps.

Last edited by 3dtestify; 09/19/16.
H
Hook Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
For those interested in such things, thought I'd give you a better look and also a range report.

The rifle:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Better look at the reticle:

[Linked Image]

I tried the rifle out at 100 yds with the hunting loads for my 03A3. The first group was 3"left and 6" high. I thought that was pretty remarkable considering it's age and how long it had likely been since being shot. It may have even been correct with whatever loads used back then. Anyway, I tried to correct the zero and couldn't get back on the paper, so had to drop back to 25 yds to rezero. I got close at 100 so left it alone and fired these two groups. Considering my 67 yr old eyes, the foggy scope, and the post reticle, I am pretty pleased with the old boy's performance!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The horizontal drift on the second target likely had more to do with my eyes getting fatigued and not holding to the 6 o'clock hold I was using on the bulls eye than the rifle/scope. Of course, the tight group in the first one may have been a fluke....who knows with this rifle, scope, reticle, and old eye combination. Doesn't matter, it's good enuf to kill my deer at the woods ranges I plan to use it at.

IC B2

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I can appreciate your 'weakness' and would look at that rifle, too!

Congratulations and I hope it serves you well.

Retired cat herder.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm impressed with everything shown in those photos, especially for such a vintage set-up! Keep it all together as is.

H
Hook Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by 3dtestify
I'm impressed with everything shown in those photos, especially for such a vintage set-up! Keep it all together as is.

That is definitely my plan since I have found that it shoots OK. The recoil pad is rotten and crushed so that will change. Other than that and some sling mounts, it will be used as it is!

I like to slip through the woods during the middle of the day. That will be the only time it's hunted because this scope will not be adequate at long distance or in low light situations.

I have a few similar type setups including an 03A3, Krag, Swede, and a couple of Mausers....all sporterized military or, in a couple of cases, bubba'ed would be more descriptive. Looks don't impact me as much as performance. In every case, I just wish the things could talk. What stories they could tell.....

O
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
O
Your scope and rifle bring back old memories. My grandfather had a 330 Weaver on a 30S Reminton rifle, a commerical enfield actioned rifle. He had a "magnifier" on the end of the scope that made it an 8X scope. The rifle itself started life as a .257 Roberts. He had it rebarreled to .22-250, a wildcat at the time. We shot the barrel out of the rifle using surplus 30'06 brass reformed to .22-250 along with bullets made from lead wire and the old copper, .22 short cases. The rifle would five rounds into almost an inch at 100 yds.
He had a Stith mount for the 2.5X Lyman Alaskan Scope he had on his Remington Model 81. E

H
Hook Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Took the 1917 out to my range to plink with while doing load development. After getting there, I found that I'd grabbed the wrong box of 06 ammo. They were some cast loads I'd loaded for an 03A3 years ago. So, just went ahead and shot them anyhoo. It took a couple of shots to find out where they were going (about 4" right and 11" low) and adjusted my aiming point to get this:

[Linked Image]

That is 8 shots in about 4". Two went in one hole and one went off the off the buff target into the backer paper. Not bad for this rig and an unrefined cast load in my opinion. Heck, I might just play around with more cast loads and make this puppy a dedicated cast bullet shooter. I have never taken a deer with cast smaller than my 38-55....maybe it's time to try.

IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Oheremicus
Your scope and rifle bring back old memories. My grandfather had a 330 Weaver on a 30S Reminton rifle, a commerical enfield actioned rifle. He had a "magnifier" on the end of the scope that made it an 8X scope. The rifle itself started life as a .257 Roberts. He had it rebarreled to .22-250, a wildcat at the time. We shot the barrel out of the rifle using surplus 30'06 brass reformed to .22-250 along with bullets made from lead wire and the old copper, .22 short cases. The rifle would five rounds into almost an inch at 100 yds.
He had a Stith mount for the 2.5X Lyman Alaskan Scope he had on his Remington Model 81. E

I would like to have known your Grandfather.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 59 invisible), 2,081 guests, and 1,097 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,079
Posts18,463,865
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.