Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
I’ve experimented a good bit with various cleaning methods & solutions. The methods are discussed in an article I posted some time ago (http://www.texas-mac.com/Case_Clean...amic_Media_and_Stainless_Steel_Pins.html). More recently I’ve tried some cleaning solution with ceramic media in a Thumlers Tumbler Model B with the general results noted below.

Lemi Shine powder dishwashing detergent booster - Found at grocery stores, Walmart, Amazon.com, etc. $5 to $6 for a 12 oz bottle.
I tried it with & without a squirt of Dawn detergent. When comparing the results with other solution it did not work very well with or without the Dawn. I don’t remember the Lemi Shine to water amounts but I tried a few different concentrations.

Strat-O-Sheen powder burnishing solution – 5 lbs available from https://www.riogrande.com/Product/Strat-O-Sheen-Powder-Burnishing-Compound-5-lbs/3390175 for $26.25 + 12.45 shipping. Figuring 3 oz per tumbler comes out to 27 cleanings at $1.43/cleaning.
I used 3 oz to 1 gal of water and tried it with & without a squirt of Dawn detergent. It worked OK without the Dawn, but with a squirt of Dawn it worked great. The cases were cleaned fast & they came out very clean and shinny, including the primer pockets.

Dave Maurer’s Shooter 2 liquid cleaning/polishing compound – Available from Shiloh Sharps (https://shilohrifle.com/cleaning-supplies/ceramic-media/) or directly from Dave Maurer (517-669-9801), dkittydaveaol.com. About a year ago I purchased two 1-quart bottles from Dave for $30 + $12.65 shipping. Shiloh’s price for 2 quarts is $34.00 + $17.16 shipping. Figuring 1/2 oz per tumbler comes out to a little over $0.33/cleaning
Works great using 1 teaspoon (1/2 oz) of the concentrated solution per tumbler. I’d rate it almost as effective as the Strat-O-Sheen/Dawn & is a little easier to use.

Scrubbing Bubbles liquid bathroom cleaner – Found at grocery stores, Walmart, Amazon.com, etc. $4 to $6 for a 32 oz bottle.
I have not tried it but read reports from others that it works great when using 1 oz or so in a tumbler.

I have about 4 lbs of Strat-O-Sheen remaining and almost two full bottles of Dave Maurer’s cleaner, so I probably won’t be experimenting with anything else until running out of these. Based on the per cleaning price I do not plan on buying any more Strat-O-Sheen & will most likely stick to using Dave Maurer’s solution. But I may pick up a bottle of Scrubbing Bubbles to see if it works as well as Dave’s solution. Although price is not the major decision factor, it would be the cheapest solution if it works as well.

No doubt there are other differing opinions and other solutions.

Wayne

NRA & TSRA Lifetime member. NSSF member. Author & Publisher of the Browning 1885 BPCR book.
See www.texas-mac.com
BP-B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Thanks for the reviews, Wayne.

I have found that the good old RCBS liquid case cleaner along with the ceramic media I bought from Shiloh works great.

I had misplaced some brass after a range session with some of my son's friends and when I found it a couple of months later, the corrosion was unbelievable.

Two hours in a RCBS Sidewinder left the brass looking like new, even the primer pockets.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Dave Maurer's concentrate, mixed per directions for his media, has worked GREAT in my vibratory case cleaner right from day one.

Have never really been inspired to try anything else.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Greg,

It was Dave's media that I bought through Shiloh. There was no recipe included, that's why I used the RCBS concentrate.

Would you mind sharing it?

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ed, I've asked for the "recipe", Dave just gave me a wink and some vague hints as to what makes up the mildly acidic, slippery liquid. He sells it as a concentrate, and a little bit of it goes a LONG way. If Shilo's selling the media, they would almost certainly have the cleaning solution / concentrate, too,....No ?

I just phoned him, the last time I needed some.

GTC

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Ed, any abrasive product can be picked up at SOT, Sandpaper of Texas, in Garland, Texas. I get my ceramic media from them as well as sandpaper, grinding wheels, sanding disc, cratex, and everything in between.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Greg,

Looking on Shiloh's website, the only way to buy ceramic media now from them is as a package with Dave's liquid cleaner.

When I bought mine, it was just the media.

No problems, I have a bunch of the RCBS and more locally available.

Thanks, amigo.

Ed

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
Ed, any abrasive product can be picked up at SOT, Sandpaper of Texas, in Garland, Texas. I get my ceramic media from them as well as sandpaper, grinding wheels, sanding disc, cratex, and everything in between.

Thanks, Butch. I'll check them out. That's a handy resource, for sure!

Ed

T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
Greg,
Looking on Shiloh's website, the only way to buy ceramic media now from them is as a package with Dave's liquid cleaner.
Ed

Ed,

You understanding is not correct. You can purchase the ceramic media or liquid cleaner separately from Shiloh. Go to the following link and you'll see a window in the middle of the page with a small arrow pointing down. Click on it.

https://shilohrifle.com/cleaning-supplies/ceramic-media/

Wayne

NRA & TSRA Lifetime member. NSSF member. Author & Publisher of the Browning 1885 BPCR book.
See www.texas-mac.com
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ya' know, ....I care more about a pristine INNER case,...FAR more than anything exterior.
Not sure but that I might not be the first BPCR shooter to write about COLUMN DRAG, as a factor in shot to shot uniformities, in recent times. That period ( and PERIOD is the right word for the era, for those of us familiar with the fairer sex) ....

Anyhoo, that "period" where everybody was going around their azzes to get to their elbow, and "Case Stretching" was the be all / end all of bug-bears,....

Polishing the INSIDE of our cases, and running them in properly configured chambers,....well it just made all of that nonsense go away.

Ever the prosecutor, and nemesis of "Column Drag", I'll at this point recommend WAXING the inside of cases dedicated to extreme accuracy, after the media ride.
Carnauba, or Bayberry will do just fine.

...worked for our original Creedmoor Teams.

GTC

IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by texasmac
Ed,
You understanding is not correct. You can purchase the ceramic media or liquid cleaner separately from Shiloh. Go to the following link and you'll see a window in the middle of the page with a small arrow pointing down. Click on it.
https://shilohrifle.com/cleaning-supplies/ceramic-media/
Wayne

Thanks, Wayne, I had not dug that far. I saw the picture and description with both items and made an assumption. You know what that makes me, don't you? blush grin

Ed

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Best tip I can toss into this mix, at this point, and for the stone hard core fanatical is to use DI water for whatever your brew of choice is.
High Calcium Carbonate water, in synch with ANY of the suggested surfactant / solutions suggested will in no way help.
Don't let your gals see ya' pouring the used solution on the flower bed / vegetable garden / Roses, either.
Maurer's stuff just flat out ROCKS Tomatoes and Cucumbers.

SHHHhhh...

GTC

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
85 members (338reddog, 308ld, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 257robertsimp, 9 invisible), 1,582 guests, and 752 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,759
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.