Hop To
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by MojoHand
Do some of you think about your kidneys working while you take a piss??? grin

Seems a lot of people would be better off spending time getting more proficient with their sidearm than arguing/trying to defend its merits.

I 'prefer' the .45....when I want to carry my 30s. (Or 41)

I 'prefer' the 9mm....when I'm in the mood for my 19 or 26.

When I'm deciding what to carry that day it comes down to my mood. That's it. Period.

Whatever I'm carrying, I'm not walking around (or standing around in indecision) thinking about 'stopping power', mag capacity, or wondering where I can get reliable GSW trauma statistics.

For schits sake, find a gun you like the feel of, actually practice to become proficient with said firearm, stoke it with high quality SD ammo (easy to do nowadays) practice situational awareness (your best defense) and find something more constructive to argue about....like the gayness of all things .277". laugh

You said the same thing I said. But in a much better way.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
GB1

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Old School Cool
Accurate
Soft Shooting
Effective
Component Availability
1911's

Trump Won!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by pal
When we got the battalion scores back from training, before being sent to Vietnam, only 2 men qualified expert: the XO, with a custom smith-ed 1911 and me, with a lucky draw from the armorer.

The 1911 is the single most comfortable and easy-to-shoot-well handgun I've ever fired. Perhaps my deepest regret, pertaining to firearms I let get away from me during desperate times, was a pre-Series 70 National Match that had been further improved by Pachmyr.

pal, I'll bet that one does hurt.

Better get you a WC Commander or a Kobra Carry to ease the pain. grin

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'll simply never get over that horrible blunder. Next worse perhaps was giving up a mint Colt Woodsman that, like the 1911, seemed custom made to fit my hand and were of such impeccable workmanship and the gun makers' art. Both of which made me shoot well.

OT--Now my only handgun is a S&W 640 with speed-loader; purely personal self protection. I freely admit I still cannot shoot this well, no matter Teddy Jacobson's custom fitting. It's not the gun, except for the short sight radius. One day I'll run across someone, could even be local LE, who'll freely help me get more professional training with it, as my bucket list includes completely mastering its use. Though, at 72, my physical and visual abilities are far from those of my youth.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I like my 45s. I also like my 357s. The 9mm is OK. If I got a 9mm it would be a small one like the SIG 938. I didn't like the M-9.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like em all. I look at the 9mm as a 38 special in a smaller package with more than 6 rounds on tap. Kinda hard not to like it in that light.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
45 acp. Because of the cost of ammo I started shooting 9mms early this year. I've put around 2,000 rounds through a Glock 19 & CZ 75 each. I like both guns but so far I shoot my Springfield 1911 45acp a lot better.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
I like em all. I look at the 9mm as a 38 special in a smaller package with more than 6 rounds on tap. Kinda hard not to like it in that light.

Exactly. When all the FIB studies and internet BS are washed off the 'modern' 9mm, you have a 38+P compacted to fit lots of them in a magazine.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
My comment is still valid, most folks that choose a 9mm are always considering either a high capacity gun or a small CCW gun. I have a hard time justifying a 9mm in a 9 shot commander or G19 sized gun.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Prefer is probably a strong word.

I don't currently own one but did own a few. I certainly do not feel somehow disadvantaged when owning/carrying one. Very confident that if I needed to put it to work - it will work.

I currently have and carry a G19. Same deal - confident it will do what I need it to do. I don't prefer a 9mm either tho. Got a good deal on the G19 - it goes bang every time.

I got good deals on my 1911's at the time. All of them went bang - every time. No bs, no qualifiers, - never had a single malfunction. 2 Kimbers, 2 Colts (tho one was in 38 Super - a round I don't prefer but have a lot of affection for)

So at the end - I prefer whatever works. I happen to like my Glock, I loved my 1911's, I like my Vaquero in 45 Colt.

I can't really see myself buying any pistols other than maybe another Glock or 1911 or revolvers. Brother has a M&P, I've shot Sigs etc - meh, didn't fall in love with any of them.

Me

IC B3

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
While I have a Sig 228 that is close to the 19 size, I don't feel under gunned with it. The water jug tests with 147 +p HST a 124 +p GD's we did last night made me smile.

But I mostly agree that high capacity or small concealable guns are where the 9 is best.

They do also make 45 +p HST ammo that can't be any worse and even offer the Shield in 45... We don't have to choose one or the other.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TWR
While I have a Sig 228 that is close to the 19 size, I don't feel under gunned with it. The water jug tests with 147 +p HST a 124 +p GD's we did last night made me smile.

But I mostly agree that high capacity or small concealable guns are where the 9 is best.

They do also make 45 +p HST ammo that can't be any worse and even offer the Shield in 45... We don't have to choose one or the other.

You keep talking cray-cray schidt like THAT and you will crash the internet wink

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Some rambling thoughts I'll put out here. Perhaps the more experience will correct me if my thought process is wrong.

The 9mm got a lot of R&D to improve the bullet technology because it needed the help the most . Wasn't that part of the reason for the invention of the 40S&W/10mm?

So the cheaper cost factor of 9mm is mitigated somewhat by the requirement of 9mm needing to use premium bonded hollow point ammo, usually in +p or +p+ format to help level and narrow the play field.

The lower recoil is also offset some by the higher recoil of the +p and +p+ ammo requirement, not to mention I'd think that it would put more wear & tear on your handgun.
Granted the recoil may still be lower than 45acp but not as much as initially made out to believe?

Also the recent trend toward smaller single stack 9mm and their corresponding lighter weight while helping with concealment also compounds the recoil especially with those +p or +p+ ammo.

The trend of single stack 9mm neuters the inherent advantage of high capacity of the 9mm, IMHO.

The 9mm has made great strides in it's development to narrowed the performance gap, I think the 45acp is still a viable round despite it losing the popularity contest.

With all that stuff said.

I like the 45acp because of the platform, the 1911.

Since I like the 1911, I will practice with it and shoot it more.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Some rambling thoughts I'll put out here. Perhaps the more experience will correct me if my thought process is wrong.

The 9mm got a lot of R&D to improve the bullet technology because it needed the help the most . Wasn't that part of the reason for the invention of the 40S&W/10mm?

So the cheaper cost factor of 9mm is mitigated somewhat by the requirement of 9mm needing to use premium bonded hollow point ammo, usually in +p or +p+ format to help level and narrow the play field.

The lower recoil is also offset some by the higher recoil of the +p and +p+ ammo requirement, not to mention I'd think that it would put more wear & tear on your handgun.
Granted the recoil may still be lower than 45acp but not as much as initially made out to believe?

Also the recent trend toward smaller single stack 9mm and their corresponding lighter weight while helping with concealment also compounds the recoil especially with those +p or +p+ ammo.

The trend of single stack 9mm neuters the inherent advantage of high capacity of the 9mm, IMHO.

The 9mm has made great strides in it's development to narrowed the performance gap, I think the 45acp is still a viable round despite it losing the popularity contest.

With all that stuff said.

I like the 45acp because of the platform, the 1911.

Since I like the 1911, I will practice with it and shoot it more.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I read a lot of Guns and Ammo magazines as a young man.
COL. JEFF COOPER probably is responsible.
If you look at the 200 gr Speer "Flying Ashtray" loads it is hard to carry anything else.
whelennut

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by whelennut
If you look at the 200 gr Speer "Flying Ashtray" loads it is hard to carry anything else.
whelennut
Or you could come into the 21st century and use bullets that work much better. The "Flying Ashtray" has caused feed issues in many guns, had a reputation for spotty expansion, and often insufficient penetration. But when it does expand, the expansion is very impressive. But a bullet needs to do a lot more than just expand.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by whelennut
whelennut

Correct:

They have made great improvements in bullets over the years. Really helped the 9mm perform better. But those same improvements went in to .45 bullets also. From hardcast to flying ashtrays, it is still better to start out at .451"

Know your gun.

Keep shooting it.

.....and have a beer.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by 458 Lott

Same here, although hot 9mm in a modern pistol is a good step up in ballistics from 38 Special +P in my experience, if you're comparing guns of similar size, and that's not counting on extra ammo capacity.

It is funny how some guys feel just fine with 5 shots of 38 Special, but turn up their noses at a 9mm.

I started loading with the .45 Auto, and still enjoy it. It has advantages in certain areas, and the 9mm has advantages in others. Both are good, and seem to get along fine in my holsters. The .45 sometimes has an advantage in penetrating through meat (not always), but the 9mm definitely has an advantage penetrating hard surfaces.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by jimmyp
My comment is still valid, most folks that choose a 9mm are always considering either a high capacity gun or a small CCW gun. I have a hard time justifying a 9mm in a 9 shot commander or G19 sized gun.
A G19 holds 16 rounds. That's high cap. The original high cap 9mm was the Browning High Power, that held 14 rounds.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by leomort
The vast vast majority of 9mm shooting is done with "range ammo," which is cheap. Few use premium stuff for that. It's in training that one enjoys the ammo discount vs .45 ACP.

Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

130 members (257 mag, 10Glocks, 35, 300jimmy, 41rem, 13 invisible), 1,257 guests, and 850 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,176
Posts18,465,454
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.