Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
With all the BS about all cartridges are the same.
It makes you wonder if the big shots at the FBI have ever taken a Physics class?
whelennut

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by GunGeek
Originally Posted by whelennut
I read a lot of Guns and Ammo magazines as a young man.
COL. JEFF COOPER probably is responsible.
If you look at the 200 gr Speer "Flying Ashtray" loads it is hard to carry anything else.
whelennut
Or you could come into the 21st century and use bullets that work much better. The "Flying Ashtray" has caused feed issues in many guns, had a reputation for spotty expansion, and often insufficient penetration. But when it does expand, the expansion is very impressive. But a bullet needs to do a lot more than just expand.

yeah well.
a couple of years ago i tripped across at a lgs about ten unopened boxes of those flying ashtray's. I am still giggling. Oh, i have them in a sig and a couple other machines right now. I was born in the last century, work's for me.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
It makes you wonder if the big shots at the FBI have ever taken a Physics class?
whelennut

I am not a hater, but the words used were "trauma doctors cannot tell the difference in gunshot wounds between 45,40,9.

There is however another question that has not been asked nor answered...can coroners tell the difference?

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by jimmyp
whelennut

I am not a hater, but the words used were "trauma doctors cannot tell the difference in gunshot wounds between 45,40,9.

There is however another question that has not been asked nor answered...can coroners tell the difference?

Or could the perp feel the difference, of course he would have to be a repeat receiver. grin

Trump Won!
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I think the theory of whether or not the human animal can tell the difference, should be easily tested on captured ISIS members. Let's get a bunch of .45acp ammo to the Kurds and have them do the testing and report back.

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
IC B2

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dan_Chamberlain
I think the theory of whether or not the human animal can tell the difference, should be easily tested on captured ISIS members...

We do not shoot prisoners. But it would seem a mistake to take any.

For every 1 of us they kill, kill 10 of them. Soon no more beheadings.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Gibby
I read a lot of Guns and Ammo magazines as a young man.
COL. JEFF COOPER probably is responsible.
If you look at the 200 gr Speer "Flying Ashtray" loads it is hard to carry anything else.
whelennut

Correct:

They have made great improvements in bullets over the years. Really helped the 9mm perform better. But those same improvements went in to .45 bullets also. From hardcast to flying ashtrays, it is still better to start out at .451"

Know your gun.

Keep shooting it.

.....and have a beer.

Amen brother!

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

Bovine Bullet Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmtZky8T7-k&t=35s

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
According to my Statistics class you would need a sample of 100 people getting shot with each cartridge in order to have a valid sample. Less than that would not be meaningful.
Where can we find a few volunteers?
whelennut

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Charlotte

Me

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here is a very clear and well-reasoned answer wink
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f55_mFAOvRA

IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by gunner500
whelennut

Or could the perp feel the difference, of course he would have to be a repeat receiver. grin

A friend of mine used to be a DEA agent, and he apparently got into a LOT of gunfights. He always wore a vest, and got hit on several occasions (he also apparently never learned to duck or hide). He said that they ALL hurt, but some hurt a LOT worse than others. He really didn't like getting hit with the .357 and .45ACP.

I have no reason to doubt him, he's got the scars to prove his lack of ducking abilities, but he carried a .45 whenever he could, and still does. He's lived to laugh and joke about it, but wishes he'd learned to duck.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
According to my Statistics class you would need a sample of 100 people getting shot with each cartridge in order to have a valid sample. Less than that would not be meaningful.
Where can we find a few volunteers?
whelennut

You'd need 100 people shot in the same exact spot to be statistically meaningful.

That's what makes terminal ballistics such a challenge, there is a vast array of where people can be hit between instantly incapacitating shots to those that are not life threatening and fringe hits in between that you simply can't accurately correlate the effectiveness of various rounds. I'm pretty sure you put a bullet between C1 and C7 and severe the spinal cord and it doesn't matter if you used a 22 or a 500. Put a shot somewhere in the abdomen and you're playing bad buy roulette.

There are times when I like having a 45, and times when I like having a 9, sometimes a 357 finds it's way along and most of all I like having the ability to choose what I carry.

I've never subscribed to the belief that if you pack a big bore all you have to do is hit them, neither do I believe if you have a 17 round magazine you'll eventually put one where it matters. You have to make your shots count no matter what you're shooting.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by leomort
So the cheaper cost factor of 9mm is mitigated somewhat by the requirement of 9mm needing to use premium bonded hollow point ammo, usually in +p or +p+ format to help level and narrow the play field.
The vast vast majority of 9mm shooting is done with "range ammo," which is cheap. Few use premium stuff for that. It's in training that one enjoys the ammo discount vs .45 ACP.

The Real Hawkeye,

Yes, I understand that vast majority will practice with cheap 115gr fmj ammo. Then use the premium 124+p, etc for self defense. But then don't you run into the same criticism when police practice with 38spec then use 357mag load for their duty loads (back when they carried revolvers)?

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

Yes, I understand that vast majority will practice with cheap 115gr fmj ammo. Then use the premium 124+p, etc for self defense. But then don't you run into the same criticism when police practice with 38spec then use 357mag load for their duty loads (back when they carried revolvers)?

The difference in felt recoil between .357 Magnum and .38 Special (particularly if target wadcutters are used) is worlds greater than that between 9mm range ammo and standard pressure self defense ammo.

[Linked Image from images7.memedroid.com]
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
Originally Posted by gunner500
whelennut

A friend of mine used to be a DEA agent, and he apparently got into a LOT of gunfights. He always wore a vest, and got hit on several occasions (he also apparently never learned to duck or hide). He said that they ALL hurt, but some hurt a LOT worse than others. He really didn't like getting hit with the .357 and .45ACP.

I have no reason to doubt him, he's got the scars to prove his lack of ducking abilities, but he carried a .45 whenever he could, and still does. He's lived to laugh and joke about it, but wishes he'd learned to duck.

You bet, red bricks to golf balls, I can see it.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G

The difference in felt recoil between .357 Magnum and .38 Special (particularly if target wadcutters are used) is worlds greater than that between 9mm range ammo and standard pressure self defense ammo.

I have a problem with this statement.

How fast do you load your .357 "Target" wadcutters?

Hint: You load them to the same velocity as your .38 wadcutters.
It may take .2 to .4grs. more of the same powder to do that. That is just because of the increased case capacity.

Another hint: Between 750 and 850 fps max.

Semi wadcutters are a different story.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I was speaking of .38 Special target wadcutters. Back in the day, cops routinely shot these at the range, often provided for them. As suggested by the other poster, this was later frowned upon, and for good reason. The difference is extreme between felt recoil of these and .357 Magnum loads.

[Linked Image from images7.memedroid.com]
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

One should carry and practice with the same Ammo if not point of aim and point of impact may not match

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Back in the day?

Years ago over six million S&W M&P and Model 10's were produced. These guns, being fixed sighted, were regulated for the 158gr SWCHP .38 Special. This is famously called "The FBI Load" or "Chicago Load" or "The Police Load".

The Chief's special was also. The Detective special was too.

They then shot (after 1962 and not barrel marked until later) +P loads (or Hi-VEL). They still shoot very close to point of aim with the +P load.

We ain't talking 50 yard Bullseye shooting here.
If we were, we would get back to talking about the 1911 again.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was speaking of .38 Special target wadcutters. Back in the day, cops routinely shot these at the range, often provided for them. As suggested by the other poster, this was later frowned upon, and for good reason. The difference is extreme between felt recoil of these and .357 Magnum loads.

By 1980 bigger metro departments were qualifying with what they carried on duty.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (1234, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 56 invisible), 2,634 guests, and 1,062 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,313
Posts18,468,282
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.