Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
To my way of thinking (mostly) there are two kinds of rifles, the pre64 M70 and a custom built one.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Bsa1917hunter: I have been shooting and Hunting (both Varmints and Big Game) with my pre-64 Winchester Model 70's for 50 years now and have as yet to experience my first "failure" or "malfunction"!
When I was a young (dumb!) pre-64 Model 70 collector - I thought to myself they have now discontinued this Rifle and I better lay in a supply of firing pin assemblies for future needs.
I bought 7 of them over the next few years.
I still have 7 of them!
I have talked to gunsmiths, competitive shooters and Riflesmiths all across this country and I normally always quietly inquire if they have ever come across a pre-64 Model 70 that had a broken firing pin in it.
None have ever seen a pre-64 Model 70 with a broken firing pin!
I, have never seen a Model 70 with a broken firing pin.
I wish the same could be said for many other brands of Rifles I have owned!
If you want a strongly built, safe, valuable and reliable Rifle (let alone handsome!) then the Riflemans Rifle should be your choice.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Your search is over. Here is the pin from my pre-64 270. Happened last week:

[Linked Image]

Best,

Chet

The first great thing is to find yourself and for that you need solitude and contemplation. I can tell you deliverance will not come from the rushing noisy centers of civilization. It will come from the lonely places. Fridtjof Nansen
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by BobinNH
I bet at least part of the problem Winchester had with the pre 64 is the amount of coddling they got by skilled hands. It must have been tough to replace those people as years went by.

Read Rule. It's apparent the rifle got a lot of hands on attention before they left the factory,not to make them"fancy" but to make the shoot and work as a unit.

Despite its virtues you simply do not get this with current manufactured rifles and even with the Classics and post 64's, and even if they did with the Classics,they still did not work at the same level as the pre 64.

I recall something I was told recently,that when the Classic in 416 Remington was being developed,Winchester had to hire two skilled smiths as outside consultants to get the rifles to feed(!!)

You heard it....Winchester workers could not get the rifles to feed and I recall most of tis work started in the Custom shop. I was astonished that there was not enough rifle savy within the 4 walls of Winchester to get a 416 Remington to feed from a M70 action.

But after years with enough Classics, looking back I understand why.

Contrast this to the old engineers and workers at Winchester who were able to get flawless feeding from one action length modified to feed everything from the 22 Hornet to the 375H&h and 458 Winchester, with at least a few odd ball cartridges along the way.

No wonder they work....it ain't nostalgia.

Very well said, and agreed Bob.

Trump Won!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Bsa1917hunter: I have been shooting and Hunting (both Varmints and Big Game) with my pre-64 Winchester Model 70's for 50 years now and have as yet to experience my first "failure" or "malfunction"!
When I was a young (dumb!) pre-64 Model 70 collector - I thought to myself they have now discontinued this Rifle and I better lay in a supply of firing pin assemblies for future needs.
I still have 7 of them!
I have talked to gunsmiths, competitive shooters and Riflesmiths all across this country and I normally always quietly inquire if they have ever come across a pre-64 Model 70 that had a broken firing pin in it.
If you want a strongly built, safe, valuable and reliable Rifle (let alone handsome!) then the Riflemans Rifle should be your choice.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

I agree buddy. Now I know where to get a firing pin if I ever need one... laugh

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by ChetAF
I still have 7 of them!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Your search is over. Here is the pin from my pre-64 270. Happened last week:

[Linked Image]

Best,

Chet

varmintguy may be down to 6 by the end of the week... laugh

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BobinNH
At my age I am not worried about outlasting a clean pre 64 M70. smile

This one has been sitting around for a couple of years and I finally got it scope mounted and may hunt it this year.

You know....it's one of those safe queens that bugs those hard charging Alaskans so much...LOL

[Linked Image]

Your panties are still in a bunch aren't they... You are the classic guy where you right the rest of us are wrong. Yeah you have your fan boys here on 24 hour but you are still a dipshit and whoever takes your line of [bleep] serious is a [bleep] idiot too.. So this Alaskan recommends you take that fine pre 64 and shove it right up your ass.. yeah I await patiently for you regurgitate your typical line of [bleep]...

And leave all to your little circle jerk you have going on here....

Last edited by 79S; 09/21/16.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
My panties are never bunched from clowns like you. Think you are simply little burned that no one pays any attention to what you say. That's not my fault.

After all you're the moron who started this tiff aren't you? because you don't like my opinion right?

There are quite a few people on here that know a lot more than you who tend to agree with me...and likely some who don't. I could GIS less.

Im baiting you and you came running like a hungry dog....you moron. What a sucker LOL!

So tell me 79S....what have I said that you think is wrong? Be precise....if you can follow instructions. Lets hear it.

BTW you can shove all these lovely Classics up your ass as well. I bet thats the only use they ever see.

Come on now...forget the Internet babble about my line of "bullshidt",or general insults, or allegations of circle jerks .....If all you can do is insult, that's not an answer is it? Except in the mind of low-level intellects like you. LMAO.

Tell me what I said that is wrong..... and prove it.

Simple instructions anyone can follow right?

Lets hear it.

If you have the time between loading sessions for your hard charging "good old Alaskan bush heroes " of yours.....who can't load their own ammo. Pathetic.

Last edited by BobinNH; 09/21/16.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
BobinNH wanted someone to start this thread. I've had one extractor go bad on my 270 fwt, but that's been it. Easily pulled the bad one off and put the new one on. Anyone else have any issues with a pre 64 model 70 rifle? All of mine function flawlessly, triggers work perfectly and tuned to 2.5 pounds, safety's work great, bolt stops work, they extract, eject, feed perfectly and smoothly, bolt handles haven't fallen off or anything like that. Let's hear about your failures. Thanks...

Mine is accurate, but not very reliable rifle. Quite often when chambering cartridge from fully loaded magazine the bolt just glides over first cartridge without chambering it. That is hard to understand because the action when I bought the gun showed almost no use or signs of bering fired a lot. If I ever had to defend myself against attacking animal chances are better than average I would get injured or killed.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Slavek
BobinNH wanted someone to start this thread. I've had one extractor go bad on my 270 fwt, but that's been it. Easily pulled the bad one off and put the new one on. Anyone else have any issues with a pre 64 model 70 rifle? All of mine function flawlessly, triggers work perfectly and tuned to 2.5 pounds, safety's work great, bolt stops work, they extract, eject, feed perfectly and smoothly, bolt handles haven't fallen off or anything like that. Let's hear about your failures. Thanks...

Mine is accurate, but not very reliable rifle. Quite often when chambering cartridge from fully loaded magazine the bolt just glides over first cartridge without chambering it. That is hard to understand because the action when I bought the gun showed almost no use or signs of bering fired a lot. If I ever had to defend myself against attacking animal chances are better than average I would get injured or killed.

Interesting.

Why don't you get it fixed ?

That the only one you own?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have 400 cartridges for this gun which is lifetime supply so selling the gun and getting something else just isn't a smart option. I'm going to order new magazine spring. The cost is only $10 plus shipping and taxes. The cartridges seem to go into mag with little resistance which is not what I found with CZ, Sako and Remington I used to own. This is strange because from mechanical standpoint the gun shows no wear with bolt knob showing virtually all of original finish. The only way to wear spring is from lot of loading and unloading just like to break a wire one must work it back and forth.

Last edited by Slavek; 09/23/16.
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Sounds like you need a new follower spring. Should be an easy fix.

Ive had the bolt ride over the cartridges with a M70 but it wasn't a pre 64. Classic yes; Weatherby yes, Ruger yes....etc etc.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M70's don't handle escaping gas worth a chit... apart from that, I doubt there's a better hunting rife platform.

My only gripe is the pre-64's bolt, which doesn't clear low-mounted scopes well... but a little scalloping and a re-blue cures that.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Bob,

I have never even been able to get a pre-'64's safety to "jam" in the middle position, locking up the action, as was reported happening with some of the Classics a few years ago. The instance that started it all was a buffalo hunt where somebody put the safety of their Classic in the middle position, ready for quick action when following up a wounded bull. When a charge occurred, the bolt handle had inadvertently raised very slightly, and the safety couldn't be pushed forward--and the rifle couldn't be fired.

After that report, I checked the safeties of several Model 70's, and could NOT get the same thing to happen with pre-'64's, but could with a couple of Classics. I also asked a couple of friends to check their pre-64's and they couldn't make it happen either. That doesn't mean it can't happen, but I haven't heard of a pre-'64 where it does.

D'Arcy Echols found a fix for the problem when it occurs in the Classics, which he's been using on all Legends since.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
That's good info JB.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Years ago the trigger "nose" broke off my transition .270 putting the gun out of service. Fortunately it happened at the range. Other than that no problems with my Pre 64s. --- Mel

The only thing I'm an expert at is my own opinion, and I have plenty of those!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Brad
M70's don't handle escaping gas worth a chit... apart from that, I doubt there's a better hunting rife platform.

My only gripe is the pre-64's bolt, which doesn't clear low-mounted scopes well... but a little scalloping and a re-blue cures that.

True on both accounts, however how often do you hear about the first problem. I've never experienced it and I hope it never happens. The second point is well taken, as I've heard about guys grinding on bolt handles. My wife's uncle being one of them. Damn guy ground on the bolt handle of a nice original 338 win magnum!!!!!! This makes me cringe, as it's something I will never do. Period!! I'm perfectly content with running Leupold DD lows or Talley lightweight lows (minimum height rings) on my rifles. No problems whatsoever and really no need for the extra lows:

270 fwt:
[Linked Image]

30-06 fwt:
[Linked Image]

338 win mag I sold to Eric M.:
[Linked Image]

Talley lightweight lows on my "elk" rifle:
[Linked Image]

I think I just got damn lucky huh Brad.. Never needed a set of extra lows on any rifle...... wink

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
speaking of grinding bolt handels, I bought a nice pre64 7MM carbine where someone cut the bolt knob in half and then checkered it! My smith fixed the problem and you can't tell it was ever done.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by GSPfan
speaking of grinding bolt handels, I bought a nice pre64 7MM carbine where someone cut the bolt knob in half and then checkered it! My smith fixed the problem and you can't tell it was ever done.

Damn, good on your smith. Cutting or grinding on a pre 64 model 70 bolt handle is sacrilege as far as I'm concerned. Unless it's done for a custom like some of the Biesens etc...

BSA MAGA
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

Damn, good on your smith. Cutting or grinding on a pre 64 model 70 bolt handle is sacrilege as far as I'm concerned. Unless it's done for a custom like some of the Biesens etc...

Back in the day they were $150.00 guns....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Poconojack

Back in the day they were $150.00 guns....

Back in the "day", you could whip someone's azz for lesser too and not get into any trouble. But that was back in the day. Not now days... laugh

BSA MAGA
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

107 members (44mc, 1eyedmule, 35, 7887mm08, 7x57Hunter, 11 invisible), 1,285 guests, and 839 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,060
Posts18,463,264
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.