Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Pre 64 bolt handles aren't the problem.....the scopes are what got fatter. smile

You can hardly mount a scope lower than an older Leopold or Weaver in Weaver bases and low rings.

But no one uses that outfit anymore.....it's too practical and the scopes don't have enough stuff in them. wink

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I use fat scopes and still have no problems with the leupold DD's or talley lightweights.. I hear what you are saying though Bob..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BobinNH

You can hardly mount a scope lower than an older Leopold or Weaver in Weaver bases and low rings.

But no one uses that outfit anymore.....it's too practical and the scopes don't have enough stuff in them. wink

You mean like this?

[Linked Image]

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Back on topic:

Pre 64 model 70 with what Bob was talking about:

[Linked Image]
wink

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Poconojack
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by GSPfan
speaking of grinding bolt handels, I bought a nice pre64 7MM carbine where someone cut the bolt knob in half and then checkered it! My smith fixed the problem and you can't tell it was ever done.

Damn, good on your smith. Cutting or grinding on a pre 64 model 70 bolt handle is sacrilege as far as I'm concerned. Unless it's done for a custom like some of the Biesens etc...

Back in the day they were $150.00 guns....

Back in the "day", you could whip someone's azz for lesser too and not get into any trouble. But that was back in the day. Not now days... laugh

?

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Brad

You mean like this?

[Linked Image]

Yes Sir! wink grin

Just like that!

Brad I guess some of us are just a bunch of Neanderthals....

Last edited by BobinNH; 09/25/16.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Brad I guess some of us are just a bunch of Neanderthals....

Guilty as charged grin

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
BTW, An Edge stocked 270 FWT with 6x36 LRD on top.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I've broken the bolt stop block off the extractor ring on a 308 action, though that was on an across-the-course rifle that had at least 9-10k rounds through it at that time. It locked up the action, but I cleared it, shot an alibi string and carried on for the day.

I've also had a bolt sleeve lock disappear. Easily replaced with wisner parts and peened the retaining pin so it didn't happen again.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Good info free-miner. That's one thing I don't like about the 243 and 308: more parts in there to go wrong..

BSA MAGA
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by free_miner
I've broken the bolt stop block off the extractor ring on a 308 action, though that was on an across-the-course rifle that had at least 9-10k rounds through it at that time. It locked up the action, but I cleared it, shot an alibi string and carried on for the day.

I've also had a bolt sleeve lock disappear. Easily replaced with wisner parts and peened the retaining pin so it didn't happen again.

I can see that stuff happening. Match shooters can abuse stuff in ways ordinary shooters never could.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I had a major malfunction. Apparently you can shoot .308's in a .270. I cant believe these old guns cant handle my stupidity.
[Linked Image]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Holy cow!!!

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dammit son!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by bt8897
I had a major malfunction. Apparently you can shoot .308's in a .270. I cant believe these old guns cant handle my stupidity.
[Linked Image]

So....how did it handle the escaping gas? crazy

I would not do that again. smile

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
[Linked Image]

So....how did it handle the escaping gas? crazy

I would not do that again. smile

Yes, I'm also wondering if the escaping gas came back into the shooters face like it's said to do. Did the bolt handle fly back or did the locking lugs do their job? Bob, this is one of the reasons I don't like that little bastid 308 whistle. It can get inside a damn good rifle and fu ck chit up...

BSA MAGA
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
[Linked Image]

Ouch. I've seen more than a few rifles that have had significant failures, but this pretty much takes the cake. I guess that .30 cal bullet doesn't fit down a .27 cal bore?

That is a doozy of a blow-out... I hope you survived that ok!

Justin

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
For the back story- I shot a deer along a power line stand on our lease. The deer went down immediately, as I was walking up to the deer, it raised its head and started to try to get up. I reached in my pocket put a round in and pulled the trigger. One heck if an explosion took place and I was standing there holding the buttstock of the rifle, and the barrel and forearm were sticking in the dirt in front of me. I was totally confused/shocked I didnt have any idea of what had happened. The scope was blown off and hit me in the across the bridge of my nose. I had two black eyes,a little bit of bleeding from some shrapnel hitting my face, four pieces of metal removed from my right eye and busted my left ear drum. My youngest son shoots a 308 , My oldest son had given me a .308 bullet he had found in our driveway about a week earlier. I put it in my hunting jacket not thinking anything of it. You can guess what happened from there.

The bolt stayed locked after the explosion, the round made its way down half of the barrel. The explosion was so strong that what looked like liquid brass blew past the bolt shroud into my eye. I am very lucky I wasnt killed, or permanently disfigured. As you can see from the picture the action peeled back like a banana. I consider myself a safe hunter - never climb into or out of the stand with a loaded gun, wear a safety harness, etc. Scary how things can happen so innocently.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thank god you were not injured more than that. I'm thinking similar results would happen with just about any rifle/action. I may be wrong, but wouldn't want to try it in a tikka or montana to test my theory. Thanks for sharing your story.

BSA MAGA
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Glad you got out with what did, seems it could have been a lot worse.

Was this a custom? I don't see a sight on the barrel and the stock looks a little to nice with finer checkering and subtle pattern difference.

Yes, Thank You for sharing.

If your a leftist, whatever Donald Trump says or does, that pisses you off rest assured, I am a Happy Camper!
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

348 members (260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 264mag, 270winchester, 10gaugeman, 27 invisible), 2,485 guests, and 1,192 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,598
Posts18,454,430
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.