Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
BobinNH wanted someone to start this thread. I've had one extractor go bad on my 270 fwt, but that's been it. Easily pulled the bad one off and put the new one on. Anyone else have any issues with a pre 64 model 70 rifle? All of mine function flawlessly, triggers work perfectly and tuned to 2.5 pounds, safety's work great, bolt stops work, they extract, eject, feed perfectly and smoothly, bolt handles haven't fallen off or anything like that. Let's hear about your failures. Thanks...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Here is my list of failures;

220 Swift - None
257 Roberts Super Grade - None
264 Win Mag Westerner FWT- None
270 FWT- None
30-06 Standard weight - None
30-06 custom - None
300 Win Mag - None
300 H&H Mag - None
338 Win. Mag - None
358 Win. FWT. - None
375 Win Mag. - None

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I won't get specific with the few I own but about like my post nil issues with '64 M70's, M700's, M98, M96 and M77's, nil.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
40 yrs. shooting/hunting with pre'64 M/70's zero problems to report.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Pin that allows the safety to line up and function disappeared on one. Smith replaced it. On another, pin that lines up a piece that allows the bolt to move completely rearward came loose. I peened it over and all has been good.

Last edited by battue; 09/19/16.

laissez les bons temps rouler
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Had to replace an extractor on a pushfeed M70 in .223 to cure an ejection problem. Also had to bend the upper lip of the mag box out a little because it kept barfing the next-to-last round during feeding. The rifle was previously owned.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The pre-64 action is about as rock solid as you will find. It's not surprising we're seeing a lot of "no problems" reported in response to this topic.

The main "weakness" of the pre-64 action (if you could label it this way), is wear at the engagement point between the safety cam and the firing pin. The pin can wear at this location, making the safety stiff, or in extreme cases, permit the pin to creep forward. This is not a design flaw, but results from poor maintenance (lubricating) of the pin and bolt sleeve.

The trigger and sear can also wear if not kept clean and oiled, which results in a terrible "two-stage" trigger pull.

Bottom line - properly maintain your pre-64 action and it will last several lifetimes of regular use. Neglect it and you'll be visiting my website for replacement parts wink

O
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
O
_

That's about it after 33 years of using them, and having owned 19 different rifles.

I guess that's why I like them.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I tried to figure out how many M70's have passed through my hands and lost count around 50 (and I still have more than a few) and I have NEVER experienced a mechanical problem. The only thing I have ever done was have the stock refinished on a 308 FWT simply because the original finish wore off and bare wood was exposed.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
We all were taught by our dad or grandfather to frequently field-strip, clean, and oil our guns. This is why an 80 year old rifle can have a tight action and pristine bore, despite the fact almost all bluing is worn off from use. Not everyone was taught to care for their rifles in this way.

We frequently get rifles into the shop which are so poorly maintained, it's truly mind blowing. The ejectors are cemented into the receiver with a paste of dirt, rust and oil residue. The bolt lugs are galled at the contact points. The extractor ring will barely rotate on the bolt, and underneath the ring we find it dry and dirty. The barrel channel is packed with pine needles and the barrel is pitted with rust from decades of hunting and never pulling the action out of the stock, etc, etc. When people do this, they can expect "failures", even though it is hardly the fault of the rifle design.

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by GSPfan
I tried to figure out how many M70's have passed through my hands and lost count around 50 (and I still have more than a few) and I have NEVER experienced a mechanical problem. The only thing I have ever done was have the stock refinished on a 308 FWT simply because the original finish wore off and bare wood was exposed.

I am right there with GSP numbers wise. I broke one extractor a few years ago. I changed it out with an Enfield extractor. Done.

I have (had) one that went through three barrels before I sold it. Another 7 RM that was a favorite and the barrel burned out in about 1500-2000 rounds. I hunted both of them everywhere. Ditto a 300 Win Mag,338,a couple of 375"s (yes they hunted Alaska and killed two brown bears. Not safe queens.) 220 Swift, 257 Roberts,30/06's, other 270's 264's 300 H&H 300 Win Mag, H&H converted to Weatherby.....on and on it goes... Not a bauble with any of them..

The one below started life as a factory 270 FW. I sold it a couple years ago and built/bought a duplicate (that some dope from Alaska recently called a "safe queen". Indeed....it's only one year old and only been on two hunts last year. Both successful.

i bumped into a 243 Standard Grade today for a grand. I may buy it. I hate the cartridge but I know the rifle will work and shoot.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by BobinNH; 09/20/16.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Zero

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Many years ago I realized that the front site hood from my P64 M70 Fwt .243 was no longer attached and was somewhere on Chestnut Oak Mountain. frown

Hardly a failure and that rifle is in at the smith for a new barrel it's had enough rounds down it (>5K). No problem with the .257R or .300 H&H either.

They are not light nor modern but they are my rifle of choice.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

"They are not light nor modern but they are my rifle of choice."

That just about sums it up for me too!

Last edited by Bobmar; 09/20/16.

Deadlines and commitments, what to leave in, what to leave out...
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
A STD 243 for a grand is a good deal if it's in any kind of decent condition. I have both a std and a fwt but much prefer the 257 Roberts.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by donsm70
Here is my list of failures;

220 Swift - None
257 Roberts Super Grade - None
264 Win Mag Westerner FWT- None
270 FWT- None
30-06 Standard weight - None
30-06 custom - None
300 Win Mag - None
300 H&H Mag - None
338 Win. Mag - None
358 Win. FWT. - None
375 Win Mag. - None

I think if you have model 70 in your name, you are too biased to answer... That goes for model70man, winpoor, etc... laugh. Geez Don, looks like a damn fine track record...

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by RiverRider
Had to replace an extractor on a pushfeed M70 in .223 to cure an ejection problem. Also had to bend the upper lip of the mag box out a little because it kept barfing the next-to-last round during feeding. The rifle was previously owned.

RiverRider, those are post 64's. Any problem with any pre 64 model 70's?

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by battue
Pin that allows the safety to line up and function disappeared on one. Smith replaced it. On another, pin that lines up a piece that allows the bolt to move completely rearward came loose. I peened it over and all has been good.

Thanks battue, that's the kind of info we are looking for. If anyone else runs into this kind of issue, it may help. I've yet to have a pin fall out on any of mine..

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by pre64win
We all were taught by our dad or grandfather to frequently field-strip, clean, and oil our guns. This is why an 80 year old rifle can have a tight action and pristine bore, despite the fact almost all bluing is worn off from use. Not everyone was taught to care for their rifles in this way.

We frequently get rifles into the shop which are so poorly maintained, it's truly mind blowing. The ejectors are cemented into the receiver with a paste of dirt, rust and oil residue. The bolt lugs are galled at the contact points. The extractor ring will barely rotate on the bolt, and underneath the ring we find it dry and dirty. The barrel channel is packed with pine needles and the barrel is pitted with rust from decades of hunting and never pulling the action out of the stock, etc, etc. When people do this, they can expect "failures", even though it is hardly the fault of the rifle design.

Amen buddy!!!

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by GSPfan

I am right there with GSP numbers wise. I broke one extractor a few years ago. I changed it out with an Enfield extractor. Done.

I have (had) one that went through three barrels before I sold it. Another 7 RM that was a favorite and the barrel burned out in about 1500-2000 rounds. I hunted both of them everywhere. Ditto a 300 Win Mag,338,a couple of 375"s (yes they hunted Alaska and killed two brown bears. Not safe queens.) 220 Swift, 257 Roberts,30/06's, other 270's 264's 300 H&H 300 Win Mag, H&H converted to Weatherby.....on and on it goes... Not a bauble with any of them..

The one below started life as a factory 270 FW. I sold it a couple years ago and built/bought a duplicate (that some dope from Alaska recently called a "safe queen". Indeed....it's only one year old and only been on two hunts last year. Both successful.

i bumped into a 243 Standard Grade today for a grand. I may buy it. I hate the cartridge but I know the rifle will work and shoot.

[Linked Image]

I love that "safe queen" Bob. Looks just like mine, except your stock is a different color. On by the way, thanks for that little enfield extractor trick. I liked my "spare" better and pulled the extractor off my m1917 and replaced it with a pre 64 model 70 extractor. Now the spare is the M1917 one sick :

[Linked Image]

BSA MAGA
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

98 members (14idaho, 7mm_Loco, 6mmCreedmoor, 300_savage, 1_deuce, 13 invisible), 1,589 guests, and 793 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,517
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.