Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
Gitsum Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Going to purchase a McMillan for my rifle build. Form on McMillan site for in letting is in in depth and thorough and seemingly straight forward. My problem is when reading the discriptions on their hunting stocks I am confused on their barrel inlet size maximums.
I want as compact a stock as possible with a traditional slim (non palm swelled) pistol grip, non beaver tailed forearmed stock that I can have inleted for my rifle.
My build will be a Remington 700 short action single shot action with a REMAGE Criterion barrel and barrel nut. The barrel contour is a Criterion light varmint.

For example the McMillan classic Remington Hunter info says it will accept up to a #5 barrel contour yet it has a 1.72" wide forearm. The Criterion light varmint is just over .800 thick. 1.72" would seem to be wide enough and leave enough side to the forearm to work.
Are the recommendations on max barrel size because a larger diameter barrel will absolutely not work or is it just a recomended max size by their opinion?
I have seen pics of Mcmillans that recomend smaller barrels with bigger barrels inletted in them.
If you understand my maybe somewhat confusing question please share your McMillan knowledge!

Last edited by Gitsum; 09/20/16.
BP-B2

805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd say a classic would be your top choice given your needs.

G
Gitsum Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
That's the one I want but their online info says my light varmint barrel will not work...............

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The specs on McMillan's site leave much to be desired. The light varmint will absolutely work in the classic. (unless the Criterion version is a really a huge departure from a 700 LV)

Give them a call.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Classic.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SKane
The specs on McMillan's site leave much to be desired. The light varmint will absolutely work in the classic. (unless the Criterion version is a really a huge departure from a 700 LV)

Give them a call.

I'd listen to SKANE. I think has stock (no pun intended) in McMillan.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
G
Gitsum Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G

Give them a call.

The REMAGE Criterion light varmint contour runs basically 1.057 from the front of the threads to .803 @ muzzle @ 20"

I was also interested in the Remington "Compact" stock but info on website says will only With barrels up to #3 contour.............then again the REM Classic says only #5 contour but apparently that is inaccurate if a light varmint will work in it.

Would really rather use the compact stock if it will work but would be content with the classic.

805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The compact won't fit that heavy of a barrel and have much left in the forend at all. The classic will fit but you will need to sand or inlet it a bit and will look fine.

G
Gitsum Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Originally Posted by 805
The compact won't fit that heavy of a barrel and have much left in the forend at all. The classic will fit but you will need to sand or inlet it a bit and will look fine.

That I can handle but am in no hurry and plan on mic measuring my rig when I get it assembled and havin McMillan inlet it to match the action, barrel and nut.

I know they are 4 to 6 months out but I am in no hurry.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Gitsum,

Compact on left, Classic on right. Both Remington sporter contours.

It'll give you an idea of what you have to work with. Like mentioned above - the compact is a no-go.

[Linked Image]

WWP53D
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Scott, how do you like the compact compared to the Classic? Is it molded colors? Thanks Z

"Mark the birds and handle your Dog"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Z-
I like the compact on that particular rifle. (.358 - 22" barrel)
There's a bit of a taper to the forearm whereas the Classic is straighter.
Of the two, I still prefer the Classic.

Yep, that's a gel-coat in Mcmillan's "dark" camo.

WWP53D
G
Gitsum Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Gitsum,

Compact on left, Classic on right. Both Remington sporter contours.

It'll give you an idea of what you have to work with. Like mentioned above - the compact is a no-go.

[Linked Image]

Pics tell the tale for sure, what is your opinion on the comparison of the Remington classic vs the Remington Sporter with the straighter comb and shorter length goin to the Remington sporter since My barrel length will be 20" and the straighter comb causing less barrel jump during recoil.

Last edited by Gitsum; 09/21/16.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I can't speak to the recoil aspect. You're building a reasonable weight .308 - can't see recoil being an issue with any of them. (others might have different thoughts on that)

IIRC, the Sporter is only .5" shorter than the classic. But the Sporter is more than generous up-front and will swallow that barrel with aplomb. smile

With the LV, I'd still go with the Classic but you've only got to please you.

Give McMillan a call and talk to them about it. They'll have calipers at the ready, will grab the stock you're interested in and give you any measurements you may need.

WWP53D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I've posted these pictures before but if you didn't see them maybe this is helpful. Skane already posted a side by side but here is another of the Compact on left and a Classic on right.

The Compact is on a Tikka Superlite, the barrel contour they use as pretty close to a Remington sporter at the muzzle, but a bit thicker where it leaves the stock so almost like a sporter/mag contour?? Anyway, as you can see it uses pretty much most of the fore-end. The one on the right is a Classic with a Bartlein 2b contour, which is much like most other #3 contours, a good fit IMHO. The Classic is my personal favorite especially for a all around hunting rifle.

I know GAP puts a Bartlein #3 in their Compact/Hunters Edge so it does fit, the Bart is pretty beefy!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
G
Gitsum Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Originally Posted by Oregonmuley
I've posted these pictures before but if you didn't see them maybe this is helpful. Skane already posted a side by side but here is another of the Compact on left and a Classic on right.

The Compact is on a Tikka Superlite, the barrel contour they use as pretty close to a Remington sporter at the muzzle, but a bit thicker where it leaves the stock so almost like a sporter/mag contour?? Anyway, as you can see it uses pretty much most of the fore-end. The one on the right is a Classic with a Bartlein 2b contour, which is much like most other #3 contours, a good fit IMHO. The Classic is my personal favorite especially for a all around hunting rifle.

I know GAP puts a Bartlein #3 in their Compact/Hunters Edge so it does fit, the Bart is pretty beefy!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Wow could not have hoped for more help! Is the #3 and #2b nearly identical in O.D.? Would it be possible to let me know what the O.D.of each is at 20", my Criterion light varmint is .800 at 20".

G
Gitsum Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
I can't speak to the recoil aspect. You're building a reasonable weight .308 - can't see recoil being an issue with any of them. (others might have different thoughts on that)

IIRC, the Sporter is only .5" shorter than the classic. But the Sporter is more than generous up-front and will swallow that barrel with aplomb. smile

With the LV, I'd still go with the Classic but you've only got to please you.

Give McMillan a call and talk to them about it. They'll have calipers at the ready, will grab the stock you're interested in and give you any measurements you may need.

I don't have a problem with recoil in the physical sense, I should have clarified and used the term muzzle rise. Being I am building a Hunter I like to see bullet impact, the 20" barrel as you know will tend to have more jump due to its length and a straighter high heeled stock will deliver the recoil straighter into my shoulder helping minimize the jump compared to a butt stock having a lower heel. I am not going to use a break on this rifle cause I am deaf enough from 30 years of Sirens (retired firefighter) and 50 years of gunshots (started huntin at 10). LOL

Last edited by Gitsum; 09/21/16.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
FWIW, most aftermarket barrels taper ~.010 per inch, beginning +/- 6" from the breach end. That said, best guess is the Bartlein #2b will be ~.710" @ 20"; #3, ~.720" @ @ 20". YMMV depending on how much shank you chose to leave on the barrel.

You could always call Tracy @ Bartlein.

Bartlein Contours

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by WiFowler
FWIW, most aftermarket barrels taper ~.010 per inch, beginning +/- 6" from the breach end. That said, best guess is the Bartlein #2b will be ~.710" @ 20"; #3, ~.720" @ @ 20". YMMV depending on how much shank you chose to leave on the barrel.

Bartlein Contours

Yup that should be right on the money. I just measured mine @ 20" and its about .692" but then I have a short shank on this one, its 5/8" inch so I'm going to be a bit skinnier at 20".

My Lilja #3 @ 20" is about .718" or so - also with a shorter then usual shank.

Not a great picture but here is a Classic with a #3 Brux on the left and a Classic with a Rem sporter on right. The Brux is a perfect fit IMHO.

[Linked Image]

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
G
Gitsum Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Originally Posted by WiFowler

Bartlein Contours

Thanks, my barrel is a REMAGE light varmint criterion. It is .803 @ twenty and we were discussing barrel fit in various McMillan sporter stocks. I have narrowed it down to the REM Classic and the REM sporter..........prolly gonna go with the classic. See stockys stocks has em in stock, don't know if they are pillar bedded though. Gotta call and see hopefully they are. I will open the channel up to fit my light varmint barrel

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
691 members (160user, 12344mag, 12308300, 17CalFan, 16Racing, 1234, 64 invisible), 2,682 guests, and 1,254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,620
Posts18,398,530
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.