Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Purchased a new model 7 last year and the bolt body had a crack running the full length from improper pressing of the bolt head to the bolt body. Had stock issues on a prior cdl as well...trigger recalls on both.

Saw a bdl with the spray paint peeling off the floor plate st my dealer last week

I'm done with them

-Joe-

The "Anti-Tactical"

GB1

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Had my head turned by one of the G2 5R's until I saw rust was already in the muzzle threads. Unbelievable.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
If they had a model 700 I was after I'd have no issue with the current quality. They generally function fine and I've had more mechanical issues with other brands. Are they perfect? No. But what is? I've bought $2000 rifles that eject into the bottom of a scope. 700s usually function properly.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Their accuracy seems good, plan to install a Timney trigger and you'll probably have an excellent carefree accurate rifle with a stainless SPS.
If worried be sure to shoot it a lot right away so if anything shows up it can be fixed under warranty.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
At our annual family sight-in days I have helped two of my nephews, my brother, and a friend of my son sight in new Remington rifles. All of them, without exception, easily shot factory ammo into around an inch with just a few rounds of shooting. A 270, 2- 300 WM's, and a 300 UM.
However, the POS scope mounts included with 2 of the rifles in the "Kit" were so poor, the mounts kept shifting on 2 of the rifles. Once we got that figured out, the rest was easy. New bases/rings are on the way.....

Oh, the triggers were absolutely awful- felt like somewhere around 8 lbs but broke cleanly once they did finally get tugged hard enough. A little adjustment and they should be fine.

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I wouldn't take a new Remington if it was free. They have won the great race to the bottom of quality control at any price.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Cabelas had a bare bones sps model on sale a while back for 350$. That's the only time I would get one, because at that price you can still afford to have some work done, tune trigger, upgrade stock.

Once you get up to cdl prices, as others have mentioned, there are some other good factory choices to think about.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Most of the old ones were good. The new ones can be shooters too. All you have to do is replace the barrel, trigger and stock. May as well build a custom rifle. The 700 action is still a great donor for a build.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Buy a used one for the action and send it to Redneck here from the fire to build you what you want. You certainly won't have to worry about quality then.

Camp is where you make it.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by littlecmonkey
The very fact that you had to question provides your answer.

The only question his question answers is..."Am I putting too much stock in second-hand information."

Any rifle you purchase, you must inspect carefully. That includes Remington.

The main issue I have with Remington at present...is that they have just about priced themselves out of the market.

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by GeorgiaBoy

Any rifle you purchase, you must inspect carefully.

This is the standard American consumer approach to American products. it is not the standard approach in Europe. The Germans, Austrians, Finns, etc. are very determined to build stuff right the first time. The European consumer expects nothing less.

American manufacturers push everything out the door and then rely on "Warranty" to fix all the problems that should not have left the factory.

As a Canadian consumer with access to both European and American products, I much prefer the European approach.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My new Remlin 336 came through with a crooked barrel. It's been back with Remington since the beginning of October. I'd love to have it before deer season
Remington quality is too big a risk. Buy Winchester.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I just had Redneck bed a new 243 SPS into a Manners and that thing SHOOTS, crap trigger and all.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by castnblast
Originally Posted by GeorgiaBoy

Any rifle you purchase, you must inspect carefully.

This is the standard American consumer approach to American products. it is not the standard approach in Europe. The Germans, Austrians, Finns, etc. are very determined to build stuff right the first time. The European consumer expects nothing less.

American manufacturers push everything out the door and then rely on "Warranty" to fix all the problems that should not have left the factory.

As a Canadian consumer with access to both European and American products, I much prefer the European approach.

For some things I agree but there are still quality American products. America is a young fast growth country. We don't build houses out of stone and roofs of slate like they do in Europe but Europe builds some products that are junk too. I've had multiple European rifles that didn't function properly. European optics and rifles are often larger and heavier than American also. There is still craftsmanship in America if you know where to look.

Remington was never a premium brand to me. They found a way to produce rifles more efficiently than their main competitor Winchester. The 700 has been very successful and I think if one stays away from the budget models quality would be fine.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by moosemike
I recently bought a new Remlin 336 30-30. When I got it home I noticed the barrel was crooked. Turns out the receiver was drilled and tapped crooked so the barrel was improperly indexed to the receiver as Remington says. It's been back in Ilion for a couple weeks now.

Remington single-handedly destroyed the Marlin Firearms Company after they bought it when they fired the workers, moved the factory, and turned out absolute crap from that point on.

Remington used to produce rifles by which other company's rifles were judged, and used to be innovative, bringing out or standardizing great cartridges like the 25-06 and 7 RM.

The era of holding companies put an end to that. I wouldn't touch a new Marlin or Remington.

Exquisitely turdlike in all of his many manifestations!!

Resist much - obey little. Hayduke lives!

"30-06 guys don't worry about schit 'cause 30-06 guys don't worry....." 16bore

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
new 700 SPS varmint .308, no issues.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I have a Rem 700 SPS 308 Winchester purchased in 2008. I heard then the barrels were possibly outsourced and subsequently quite accurate. Mine is very accurate.

I lurve it:

[Linked Image]

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Reloder28
I have a Rem 700 SPS 308 Winchester purchased in 2008. I heard then the barrels were possibly outsourced and subsequently quite accurate. Mine is very accurate.

I lurve it:

[Linked Image]

Only barrels that they outsourced were some 22RF, 204, and 17 cal.

This is just another Chebby-Ferdge thread.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I buy them as donors but the last few have been good shooters as delivered from the factory.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

109 members (Akpilot, 6mmCreedmoor, 300_savage, 1_deuce, 15 invisible), 1,629 guests, and 901 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,513
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.