Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I was thinking about getting a Sendero in 7mm, and a couple CDL SF rifles in variose calibers and was wondering if the accuracy would be worth the risk.
I was wanting a CDL SF in 35 whelen, 7-mm-08, and 22-250. I would be reloading for all of them, but am not interested in a rifle that can't do an inch or less with reloads. I have not owned a Remington in probably twenty five years, but have read about their accuracy going down hill horribly. I have also talked to others that have stated that its WAY over blown. Yet others have even said that it depends on which models, and that the CDL SF and the Sendero will have no problem producing good groups with hand loads. At this point Im as confused as I can get......lol
What say you? Thanks

GB1

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Not necessarily, I have an SPS stainless in 7mm mag that is very accurate. My gunsmith is impressed with Remington quality recently too. I wouldn't touch a Marlin though, now owned by Remington. I think that is where a lot of the Remington quality problems are these days.

How do you know a Trump hater? They'll tell you.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Some weirdness might still be going on. I bought a cheapie Rem 783 to mess around with in .223. It is fairly smooth and has a decent trigger. I looked at a 700 ADL? Blind magazine version and the action was rough and seemed to have a bad case of bolt bind or something, I couldn't believe it.
I would say go to your LGS and try one out if it is in stock and then buy the one you get have your hands on if you like it.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
With other factory rifles available at a similar price point I'd pass unless looking for a donor action.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Remington still sells a lot of guns. I think there are a greater number of lemons though.

IC B2

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I recently bought a new Remington 700 Mountain SS and it had several issues. The end of the barrel was very rough internally, the bolt lift was very hard, and the barrel was not centered in barrel channel of the B&C stock. I won't buy another new one again.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had sworn off Remington for a while due to bad experiences with quality. I've since purchased three rifles, all of which have been flawless. First was a 700 ADL in 243 for a price I couldn't pass. Turned out to be a great rifle. Then I had to try an 8 twist SPS in 260. Also turned out great. Last was a Mountain Rifle in 7-08. It's also been top notch. All barrels looked good, all were found to be accurate with little effort at load development.

YMMV.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Several years ago, at Walmart on Black Friday, I bought a couple of the Model 700 ADL's they had on sale. I think they were $270 each after the rebate. Both were in 243, with one being a Youth Model. Both are very accurate rifles, so accurate that I quickly scrapped plans to use them for action donors only. My biggest gripe with the newer Model 700's is the trigger, although the pair I bought at Walmart turned out to have very good ones. I bought a Mountain Rifle several years ago that had such a bad one, that replacement was the only option.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I've bought 2 700s and a Seven in the last year and a half. All have been put together right and very accurate. When I'm in the market for another bolt gun it will be another Remington.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
The very fact that you had to question provides your answer.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They clearly had issues a while back, including obvious stuff that should never gone out the door. They also weren't too sharp when it came to "fixing" the problems. Mostly now, they simply don't make anything that interests me.

What fresh Hell is this?
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I have bought a dozen or so NIB Remington 700's and Model Seven rifles over the past 3 years and every one shot MOA with factory ammo right out of the box and I have had zero issues with functioning or fit and finish.....I think ill buy one of the new Model 700 AWR rifles in .300 Win (American Wilderness Rifle) to hunt rifle season this year....Good luck.....Hb

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I think their QC has gotten better . I have not seen a problematic one in the last few years.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I own different brand rifles but there is something that just feels right about a remington. Don't get me wrong I like them all but I am pretty fond of a 700

Tater
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by pseshooter300
I own different brand rifles but there is something that just feels right about a remington. Don't get me wrong I like them all but I am pretty fond of a 700

Couldn't have said it better myself. Maybe it's b/c I started with a 700 and my hands grew around it.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by devnull
Originally Posted by pseshooter300

Couldn't have said it better myself. Maybe it's b/c I started with a 700 and my hands grew around it.
I think that applies to a majority of gun-owners/hunters..

In my case, the first centerfire rifle I ever bought was a Rem 700 in .222 Rem, maybe back in '64-'65.. It was a good rifle. But it's too far back to recall what I ever did with it. I must have traded it off for something. The very next centerfire I bought was the (circa) '71 Win M70 in .264 that I still have and still use. And that's the model I've loved ever since.. smile

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Remington's accuracy going 'down-hill'?? I don't think so! I purchased a M700 DPS about a month back....removed the barreled action and dropped it into the stock shown and to date I've fired six five shot groups with it from 600 yards and the largest group shown is the one below and I can cover those five with the knuckles of my fist!

[Linked Image]VS308 by Sharps Man, on Flickr

[Linked Image]My 308 Winchester by Sharps Man, on Flickr

Caliber: 308 Winchester

Even birds know not to land downwind!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by littlecmonkey
The very fact that you had to question provides your answer.

Not necessarily. He said, he'd read different reports and people had varying opinions.

I think a consensus here from people who've bought Rem. recently would give a fair idea of current products.

I have several Rem. rifles but the last NEW one was bought in 1995. It's a great gun/shooter. (Shooter)

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Remington's rock! I can't even count how many I have owned and I still own a bunch. They have come and gone, I keep the stellar shooters. I have only had two that just wouldn't shoot. One being a Model 7 in .300 SAUM and the other being a SPS in .300 Ultra. All the others with the right hand load shot well, a few unbelievably well!

I have a .270 Win Rem700 ADL, $299.00 from Bi-Mart on sale. That will shoot along with any of my full customs. It makes a guy just stand and scratch his head. Maybe it was the Redbull, I was just shaking the same way each time I slapped the trigger.

This is what that bargain price ADL did the first time I shot it at 300 yards.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

All the best things in life, live on the other side off fear.

The true eye sees not the despair of its victims, only the elegance of equilibrium. It's a demonstration of superior judgment.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I recently bought a new Remlin 336 30-30. When I got it home I noticed the barrel was crooked. Turns out the receiver was drilled and tapped crooked so the barrel was improperly indexed to the receiver as Remington says. It's been back in Ilion for a couple weeks now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 222Sako, 222ND, 10Glocks, 1234, 68 invisible), 2,653 guests, and 1,345 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,669
Posts18,455,992
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.