Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
prm Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Suitable for long hikes in steep terrain. If the weather were to turn really cold and snowy, my current uninsulated boots would not be ideal. Current boots are Salomon Quest FWIW. I've used them in snow with morning temps in the teens. If it were colder and significant snow for an entire hunt I'd want insulation. Suggestions?

BP-B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by prm
Suitable for long hikes in steep terrain.

Personally, I don't like insulated boots for this kind of use, they make my feet sweat too much on long hikes in steep terrain.

Having said that, my favorite hunting boot for snow is a non-insulated Kennetrek, and they have insulated boots too, that's where I'd look.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I agree with Smokepole. If you are hiking in steep terrain your feet (and the rest of you) will be sweating. Be sure to wear liner socks under a medium weight wool sock to avoid blisters. Bring spare socks to change. If you only have one pair of boots, wear a vapor barrier sock over your outer sock. That way your boots will stay dry inside. Your feet will sweat more, but at least you will be able to change into dry socks and have dry boots.

NRA Endowment Life Member, G.O.A supporter
P
prm Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
I agree about the insulated boots. But eventually the conditions get bad enough to warrant them. I want to be prepared for that. I'll check out 400gr insulated Kenetreks

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
For my feet, I find Kennetrek's entirely too stiff, and unnecessarily so. Also, while Kennetrek is the same price (or more) of other comparable boots that use Goretex/Vibram, Kennetrek uses cheaper proprietary waterproof/breathable liners and soles.

I've found 400 gram boots ideal for cold weather elk hunting.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I'm with Brad on 400 grams. The issue is that a long steep hike may be required to get to an evening or morning sit spot. Sitting for 2-4 hours in cold weather with non-insulated boots has never worked for me. As a result, I default to 400 gr boots for 90+% of my mountain hunting.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by prm
I agree about the insulated boots. But eventually the conditions get bad enough to warrant them. I want to be prepared for that. I'll check out 400gr insulated Kenetreks

I bought my first set of Kenetrek 400s this year, and put 100-150 miles on them prepping for a hunt Idaho last week. Kenetreks, IMHO, take about 25-50 miles to break into your foot. They were not bad to break in, but they are stiffer than most people are used to. The temps in Virginia were 70s-90s+, and I didn't think the sweating in the boots was too bad, but I was only hiking for 1-2.5 hours and taking them off.

For the Idaho terrian, I really liked the stiff and the support, especially for some stupid downhill routes, and a lot of sidehill walking. I had an Achilles tendon issue on my left foot all of this year, and the Kenetreks were the only boot that didn't aggrivate it further.

Temps on the hunt were low 30s - mid 70s, and I had good quality wool socks. For the temps with a gator on, it was too much insulation. I did get on the verge of trench foot on a couple of days, and did get a blister from the excess moisture allowing slippage in the toe area.

If I did it over, I would have gone with the un-insulated boot. Even changing socks at the mid-day if I could, the moisture was present. I found that taking the gators off helped, but I don't think I ever really got the boots dried out after the first day.

Last edited by AH64guy; 09/21/16.
P
prm Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
^^Did you get an elk though? Good to know they do break in eventually. I need to err to the side of less insulation due to sweaty feet, but it can get bad enough to use insulation. But not during archery season! I could not have worn insulated boots this early. I'm looking at mid-October at 10k'. I can typically do fine with uninsulated then, but one year pushed the limits. I'm watching the long term forecasts!

Here in VA, I'd be a mess wearing insulated boots right now to break in!

Brad, on my one attempt at Kenetreks I found the same as you. Open to other suggestions.

Last edited by prm; 09/21/16.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
PRM, I use Crispi boots. They're not nearly as stiff as others I've owned, including Lowa. Best I ever had were Cablela's branded "Mountain Hunters"... no longer made of course.

Cabela's current similar model (Perfekt), with rubber rand, made in conjunction with Meindl is about identical to the Crispi in terms of stiffness... I think it's one of the better mountain boots out there for those that have "soft" feet like you and I.

Actually, the cheaper, rand-less 400 gram Cabela's/Meindl Perfekt was even easier on my feet than the randed version.

Were I getting a pair to replace my Crispi's I think I'd go with the Cabela's 10" Perfekt:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabe...26CQ_search%3Dmeindl%2Bboots%26CQ_st%3Db

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
P
prm Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Thanks, I was just visiting their site. A good friend has had a pair for many years, and many miles, and swears by them.

IC B3

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by prm
^^Did you get an elk though?

Here in VA, I'd be a mess wearing insulated boots right now to break in!

Brad, on my one attempt at Kenetreks I found the same as you. Open to other suggestions.

No, not getting the elk was my fault, not anybody elses. Saw enough to make the trip an excellent experience.

I was hiking the Kenetreks in July and August here in VA, and it wasn't bad, but it was also short duration of wear time.

I tried a pair of Crispis that I got off of Camofire a couple years back, they were not bad, but I had less issues with the Kenetreks. My Crispis are not wides, and I need the room with my duck feet. laugh

Last edited by AH64guy; 09/21/16.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For cold weather non-stand hunting I dress in layers and that includes my feet.

My base is Cabela's Rimrock non-insulated Gore-tex hikers and I purchase them 1/2 size larger.

1) sock liner and merino wool socks (midweight or heavyweight) which works for about 75% of the conditions

2) sock liner and Santi 200 gram Thinsulate socks

3) sock liner and DUI 400 gram Thinsulate socks

4) gaiters

These socks are also great to use in a sleeping bag.

I will add, the Rimrock hikers require very little break-in.

Last edited by roundoak; 09/21/16.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
The Meindl/Cabelas perfekt hunter would serve you well..

P
prm Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Roundoak, your feet don't slide a bit with those thinsulate socks?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by prm
Roundoak, your feet don't slide a bit with those thinsulate socks?

Yes, to a certain extent, but with the boot seized up tight no issues for me. Your mileage may vary.

The first thinsulate socks I tried were made by Rocky boots and they slipped at back of the heel more than I liked. I solved the slip with duck tape.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I bought a pair of the rand-less Meindl in July. I like them alot. I used One and HD on them. They were fairly easy to break in after that.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Just got my Cabela's Meindl Perfekt boots in today, hope they don't disappoint

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Taco280AI
Just got my Cabela's Meindl Perfekt boots in today, hope they don't disappoint

On my second pair. You will like them if you picked the right size. If not, send them back and tweak the size. Boots by mail order can be dicey.

But for cold weather and snow, nothing but Schnee Hunters for me in the 12" version. On my second pair after 14 years with the first pair. Have two felt liners which I can switch out at night. Used them in Alaska on a spring brown bear hunt with snowshoes. But use them exclusively on our annual Jan. cow elk hunt in New Mexico.

If you spend any time glassing in cold weather, no matter the boot, bring along another pair of wool socks to switch out your hiking socks which could be sweaty.
Fresh socks at a spotting location will keep you warm. If the hike is back on, I will switch back to the other pair, which I had placed in a plastic bag to keep the scent down.
Good luck

Last edited by bigwhoop; 09/21/16.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I tried them in the store, but wasn't going to spend $300 plus tax so waited. Then Cabela's had their 20% off Cabela's brand stuff so ordered them.

P
prm Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Bringing this back up. I put in for a slightly later Deer hunt in CO and will want one pair of insulated boots. Still happy with the Salomons as far as fit and feel. In fact I have three pairs! Just want something a bit warmer in case I find myself still hunting at 9-10k in late October. Two boots of interest are the Crispi Nevadas and the Lathrop & Sons Mountain Hunter Elite.

Breathability is always a big concern of mine, so I think the Mountain Hunter Elite with the more breathable tongue design would be preferable to the Mountain Hunter.

I really don't know about the Crispi. All leather concerns me. Feet staying dry (from sweat) results in cold feet regardless of insulation. Probably why I do so well with the Salomons.

Not ruling out the Cabelas Meindls either. I was waiting to try them at the Cabelas that recently opened near me, but it turns out they don't carry them at this store! ugh.

Last edited by prm; 04/03/17.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I love my Crispi's. I have the Nevadas for the exact type of hunting you are describing. They work well to single digits if moving and about 20-25 degrees or so when mostly still. If it's colder than that and you are still then you will need a warmer boot like a pac boot or something. I wear them up to about70-75 degrees while turkey hunting and my feet do sweat but not ridiculously so. If its warmer than 45-50 degrees in the morning with highs in the 80's or more, I'll opt for a different boot.

I have or have had about 5-6 different Crispi boots. All top quality and really fit my feet well.

Lee

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Our styles may differ but I don't usually sit too long when backpack hunting or day hunting mountains. I prefer non-insulated. Those have worked down to 0 F or lower, but a 30 minute calling stand is about as long as they let me stop without getting cold feet. Loosen boot laces very loose immediately when you stop if you know it will be awhile till you start hiking again. For late season and winter hunts usually with less distance hiking, (and some hour long lion stands) I wear heavily insulated pak boots like Sorels.

If I want to sit long between cold hikes, I put something over the outside of my boots instead of wearing insulated boots for the whole hike. Sticking booted feet into a near empty day pack or wrapping an extra clothing item around them works. Put the pad side of the day pack down or put feet on rotten wood to insulate from ice or frozen ground. I have considered making or buying some insulated cloth outer booties that slip on and off like a stocking cap for feet. It's an option.

P
prm Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Thanks, I'm going to try the Guide GTX, which is just a slightly taller version of the Nevada. I'm looking for a step up from my Salomons for those times, albeit rare, when a non-insulated is not quite enough. But unless it's really cold I'll be wearing Salomons. What sold me is the many comments on great breathability.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think you will find that you have the Crispi's on your feet more than you think. I have multiple pairs of Salomon's and have had the ones you have. Great boots and shoes but I prefer my Crispi's.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I wish you'd try the Lathrop and Sons boots. Then report back 😁

I was considering a pair of their Mtn Hunters but when Cabela's had that 20% off sale, bought a pair of uninsulated Denalis. I have about 8-10 miles on them. I like them. They fit about like the Cabelas Meindl Perfekt rand-less 400 gram. I wore the 400 gram Perfekts in WY and CO for 2 straight weeks last year. They worked well - I dig them. I hope they last for several seasons.

P
prm Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Are the L&S boots available? It appeared like a preorder. At $425 I thought trying the Crispis at $322 seemed prudent. Their custom footbed was another ~$100. If the Guides don't feel good I'll return and look more into the L&S Hunter Elites

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I don't think they're available yet. I talked to them last week and sound like they'd be available 'soon'. I think the insoles are $55 and $45 for their fitting service for them. Not sure what that entails - it seems like you put them in and see how they feel.......

I found some after market insoles I'm trying - Mega Comfort Anti-Fatigue Mat. I'm buying Lathrops argument on the only thing most guys need is cushion and blister protection. I've had a bunch of arch support type insoles and will pass. I only have 6-8 miles on the MC but they do feel good.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I run these down to 15 degrees or so if active.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Alaska-Hunter-Boots-by-Meindl/1995551.uts?searchPath=%2Fbrowse.cmd%3FcategoryId%3D734095080%26CQ_search%3Dmeindl

If its colder than that or if sitting/glassing/riding a horse for long I use a pair of Schnees pacs.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by bwinters
I don't think they're available yet. I talked to them last week and sound like they'd be available 'soon'. I think the insoles are $55 and $45 for their fitting service for them. Not sure what that entails - it seems like you put them in and see how they feel.......

I found some after market insoles I'm trying - Mega Comfort Anti-Fatigue Mat. I'm buying Lathrops argument on the only thing most guys need is cushion and blister protection. I've had a bunch of arch support type insoles and will pass. I only have 6-8 miles on the MC but they do feel good.

I have really bad feet due to spending many hours a day walking on concrete and steel grating. I have tried a ton of different insoles, and orthotics with mostly poor results. What I have found works is doubling up two sets of soft insoles. As such I think Lathrops is spot on.

P
prm Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Insoles typically aren't a problem for me. I just put Super feet in if I don't like what they have. What I don't like, at all, are the really stiff boots. I'm not wearing crampons climbing, which is what some seem to be designed for. I want ankle support, breathability and a comfy footbed.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I'm with you 100%. I've tried several pairs of name brand stiff boots and don't care for them for elk hunting.

P
prm Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have a handful of miles on a pair of Crispi Guide boots. So far so good. Heavier and stiffer than the Salomons, yet comfortable. No hot spots or concerns. Seem to breath well as I walked through a local battlefield yesterday with temps over 70 and a 30-40 lb pack with no problems. The jury will be out until I can try them in the cold as that is why I would use them in place of the Salomons.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I loved my rand less 400 gram Meindl Perfekt's... Always kept my feet comfy and warm down well below zero. I have the Alaskan Hunter now and really like them as well. Not sure which I prefer yet though. I do like the rand. The Perfekt's werent as stiff as the Alaskan Hunter's which doesnt really matter to me but it may to someone else.

P
prm Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
On one hand I wanted to try the Meindls, but I like the idea of the rand for what I want this boot for. If the Crispis don't work out the Meindls are next on the list.

I look at it this way; would I wear boots to run a marathon? No. Why? They are heavy and make it harder. What is different when in the mountains? It is still difficult so I want as little weight and resistance as possible, but I want protection from the wet and cold, good traction and resistance to rolled ankles. The Salomons do all of that except for the cold (<~15deg) and with as little weight and walking resistance as possible. I feel many of the 'hunting' boots out there are designed for very steep climbing or use with crampons. That's fine, but not ideal for my mountain deer and elk hunting which places more emphasis on distance than on rock climbing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
487 members (10gaugeman, 1Longbow, 160user, 300jimmy, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 46 invisible), 2,176 guests, and 1,013 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,596
Posts18,398,160
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.