Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
Heym06 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
Has anyone mounted a Burris fastfire on a 99,using the screws where you would mount a receiver peep! My 99 is not tapped for a scope and I don't want to modify it from stock. My eyes are getting old and I don't pick up the front sight like I did when younger!

BP-B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
forget it, get another gun made for mounting a scope.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I'm sure you could have someone fabricate a pic rail that mounts to that screw, but I imagine it would cost as much as new gun.

You may also be able to try one of the scope rings that have a pic rail at 12:00, but I'm not sure if it would match up on the barrel anywhere. I'm also not sure if it would stay in place.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Weaver makes them - #14 (48014) is the rear base. Sometimes they are a little loose; wax the receiver and screws, rough up the bottom of the mount with sandpaper, and epoxy bed the mount to the receiver.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Or, use those rear holes for their intended purpose: mount a tang sight on it. The aperture will focus your front sight to a large degree. My 63 year old eyes surely aren't what they used to be. In fact they're downright bad, but aperture rear sights keep me in the iron sight game when hunting and target shooting, allowing me to keep my Savages clutter free.

I put scopes on .22 target rifles, and varmint rifles, whose purpose in life is to thread a tiny bullet into tiny targets at ridiculous ranges. Some bolt guns are scoped, or are adapted to some-time scope use, but the light, trim, nicely balanced Savages I hunt with will never be scoped.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Might as well weld something to the barrel.

LOL
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
drilla buncha damn holes crooked, strip half athem out, and epoxy some sheit on there.

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Heym06
Has anyone mounted a Burris fastfire on a 99,using the screws where you would mount a receiver peep! My 99 is not tapped for a scope and I don't want to modify it from stock. My eyes are getting old and I don't pick up the front sight like I did when younger!

Buy my no-drill scope mount and you can mount any scope you wish. No pain, no strain wink

I am no longer accepting orders for the Lightfoot scope mount.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Lightfoot

Buy my no-drill scope mount and you can mount any scope you wish. No pain, no strain wink

Was wondering why no one mentioned that yet, nice looking mount and doesn't hurt the vintage rifle, Joe.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
H
Heym06 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
Maybe I should clarify, I have a peep receiver sight now, don't want a scope, have scopes on other rifles. Don't glue anything to guns and to the weld on the barrel comment ( pull you head out and read the name on the back of your belt ). If no one knows if anyone makes one. I'll just mill a pic,rail from 4140 and make my own. I want the rifle to original when I pull the thing off. I was just looking for input! This forum sure has a lot of azzhole 's that act like there something special! To those with helping answers thank you.

Last edited by Heym06; 09/21/16. Reason: Add info
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
This forum sure has a lot of azzhole 's that act like there something special!

Nah, just one and today I'm it.

LOL
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Oh well. Such is life.

It's just that you came around talking about picatinny rails and Fast Fires which 98% of the folks here would view as anathema on a classic Savage lever gun. Try brushing up on your grammar too. A sarcastic point digs deeper if spelled, punctuated, and structured correctly.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 09/21/16.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Fireball2
This forum sure has a lot of azzhole 's that act like there something special!

Nah, just one and today I'm it.

Yesterday too come to think of it. Hell, I might as well pencil in the whole week. Next week is wide open too.

LOL
H
Heym06 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
Well I guess your not alone, my wife just told me I was one! I knew where you were coming from with your answer. Just couldn't resist. I see your from my part of the country. Dry side or wet side?

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I was going to say he's our azzhole and we'll keep him. But, since you are right there, you can have him. Just be careful if you visit, he has a tendency to cerakote things. Cats, dogs, kids, cars, Joe.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
He cerakoted you Joe?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Well I guess your not alone, my wife just told me I was one! I knew where you were coming from with your answer. Just couldn't resist. I see your from my part of the country. Dry side or wet side?

Heym, my abode is both wet and dry, but hot in summer. Grants Pass area. Where do you dwell brother?

LOL
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
To the guys commenting about epoxy - I said bed it to the rifle, not glue it to the rifle. The epoxy sticks to the scope mount not the receiver. Why? Because of the hand work that went into 99s they have variations in shape, especially at the rear of the receiver.

To the OP - I did list the proper rear mount that Weaver makes for a Savage 99, so you won't be having to adapt it. Fastfires fit Picattiny or Weaver. I have 3 Fastfires that have been on rifles, shotguns, and handguns.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
His gun is not drilled for scope mounts. Guess you missed that...

I am no longer accepting orders for the Lightfoot scope mount.
H
Heym06 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by Fireball2

Heym, my abode is both wet and dry, but hot in summer. Grants Pass area. Where do you dwell brother?
. I'm East and up in elevation. I live in Klamath Falls now, from Wallowa county.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
217 members (2UP, 257 mag, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 10Glocks, 300_savage, 23 invisible), 1,572 guests, and 881 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,917
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.