Print Thread
Hop To
B
bdan68 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I notice that there are many of these scopes selling on eBay by a couple of different sellers for around $240 to $270. The price seems low, is this a good scope, and if so is this a legitimate deal? I can't find the exact same scope anywhere else online. Cabela's has one that is the same except it has the Windplex reticle whereas the eBay scope has the standard Duplex. Cabela's price is $450.

GB1

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Discontinued scope because they went to the Windplex. Probably dealers got a volume discount from Leupold for buying a large quantity. Cabela's did the same thing with the VX2 3-9 CDS a year ago.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I bought one yesterday from Ebay for 254.99. The dealer I picked one up from is good to go, authorized Leupold Dealer....I have bought several Leupolds from him.

“When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I did a little looking at that scope. From what I could find is that it does not have the AO feature.

I did a search on Leupold's web site and could not find that model either.

B
bdan68 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Yesterday I sent a question to Leupold about this scope and just got a reply back. They said from the model number I provided that it's a current production scope and that it's a fixed objective. They also warned me to only purchase from "reputable dealers" to ensure that it's an "authentic" scope.

Any opinions on this scope? I'm thinking about replacing my old Vari-X III 3.5-10x40 that I bought new in 1993. I've never had a CDS scope and have been wanting to try one. I hunt antelope in Wyoming every year and I think the 12x magnification will be helpful. Hopefully the eye relief is still generous as it is with my 3.5-10x40?

How will the two scopes compare optically? From what I've read, the new VX2's are much better than the old Vari-X III's?

IC B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I had the VX-2 with the AO and the "fast focus" eye piece.

I liked the glass, thought it was good and clear, good dusk and dawn pictures, very little fuzz around the edge. Not sure how much "better" it is than the VX-III, but it wasn't any worse. Eyebox was fine for me, didn't notice any problems.

The VX-2 model has an eyepiece that is Euro-styled, designed to maintain clear focus of your target as you run through the magnification range.

What I found for me, YMMV, between the AO and the eyepiece that it was difficult to tell if the AO needed tweaked, or the focus needed a twist. I ended up chasing one or both, instead of getting ready for a shot.

The eyepiece does not have a locking ring like I am used to on most Leupolds. I found that my eyepiece would rub, eventually turn, and shift while walking/stalking. Mine turned with little friction, and no way to lock it down.

I'd pull up to shoot, and have a fuzzy picture, and need to turn one or the other, and usually guess wrong.

Last edited by AH64guy; 09/21/16.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I find the variation in eye relief between 4 and 12 power in that scope to make it very difficult to use on either the low or high end. It has nearly 1.5 inches of variation.

Stick with your 3.5-10--you won't be gaining anything.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Leupold's web site is not that great and maybe not up to date.

When the tailgate drops the BS stops.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I bought one earlier in the year to swap for a 3-9x40 CDS that I was currently using. Eye relief is exactly the same, and the scope was mounted in the same position and rings as the 3-9 it was replacing. No issues with eye relief changing on upper power levels.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The Leupold 4-12x40 and Ultralight 3-9x33 are my two least favorite Leupold scopes, and I've had both of them.

I find the 3-9x40 more user friendly.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B3

B
bdan68 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks for the opinions. I bought one of the 4-12's, got it for $241. I should be receiving it early next week. I'll try it out, and if I don't like it I guess I'll put it back on eBay and sell it. Got it cheap enough so should be able to get most of my money back.

V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
DakotaDeer: I have 6 (six) Leupold 4x12 variable scopes on both Big Game and Varmint Rifles.
I have NO difficulty what so ever in using any of them at any power setting.
In fact I have no idea what "difficulty" you are talking about?
The ONLY difficulty I can imagine that you MIGHT be referring to is somehow you are not obtaining a full sight picture at various power settings?
IF... this is your difficulty then you simply are NOT setting your scope up properly (like I did on all six of my Leupold 4x12's!).
YOU must mount/place the 4x12 Leupold scope PROPERLY before you tighten down the ring screws!
Don't just place the Leupold 4x12 in the "middle" of the rings where it looks good, and hope you will get a proper sight picture at varying powers - you may or may not be successful.
Place the scope in the rings with minimal tension on the scope and mount the Rifle to your normal shoulder/face/eye position THEN check the scope at both lowest and highest powers to make sure it is placed where you will have full sight picture at all settings.
ONCE... you have found this correct placement then tighten it down.
I have seen a few people complain about this having to move their face back and forth on the stock to obtain full sight picture at all powers. They simply mounted the scope improperly to begin with.
If my conjecture about your specific "difficulty" with the Leupold 4x12's is incorrect then simply disregard my post or be more definitive in describing your "difficulty".
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

700 members (007FJ, 160user, 163dm, 163bc, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 66 invisible), 3,146 guests, and 1,359 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,579
Posts18,454,063
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.