Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by SRShooter
I cleaned The 54 match thoroughly with Hoppes/Rimfire Blend; Kroil; and JB paste. Lots of black coming out with each cleaning.

I decided to take it to the range, and it shot dramatically better! Some 5-shot 50 yard groups were under 1/2".

Now the question is, "how much barrel cleaning can I do, and not harm the barrel?

You need proper equipment.Get you a rod guide. You won't hurt it with proper cleaning.
http://www.championshooters.com/home/css-online-shop

After you have ALL the old lead and carbon out only shoot good quality target lubed ammo and you won't have this problem again. You will likely get your best groups after about 50 rounds of a good ammo the gun likes. You should get 1/4" or better at 50 yards. Wolf MT and SK Standard Plus are good economy ammo.

Glad you are getting it straightened out.

Here are some more ammo sources.
http://www.iss-internationalshootersservice.com/
http://www.goodshootinginc.com/
http://www.killoughshootingsports.com/index.php/ammo.html?p=3

BP-B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
What ammo are you shooting now? Just a word of encouragement,my Annie shoots 3/4 or so at 50 yards with cheap ammo but 1/4 or so with the good target stuff it likes.

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Wolf Match Extra (best groups), Eley Club, RWS Target Rifle, SK Match, SK Standard Plus, Geco Rifle, Norma TAC-22, Norma Match 22.

Lot samples of Lapua Center-X are on the way.

The springs replacement may also be a great suggestion. This 54 Match is very sensitive to doing everything (breath control, trigger pull, concentration, etc.) absolutely correctly. My other target rifles aren't nearly as finicky.

Last edited by SRShooter; 09/03/16.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by SRShooter
Wolf Match Extra (best groups), Eley Club, RWS Target Rifle, SK Match, SK Standard Plus, Geco Rifle.

Lot samples of Lapua Center-X are on the way.

The springs replacement may also be a great suggestion. This 54 Match is very sensitive to doing everything (breath control, trigger pull, concentration, etc.) absolutely correctly. My other target rifles aren't nearly as finicky.

I bet it shoots even better with new springs.

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
What springs should be replaced? Just the firing pin spring? Also, should the firing pin spring be the regular proper diameter spring; or "loaded" 2 spring set, whatever that is?

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
https://www.jnpgunsprings.com/

Get a hold of these folks. They should be able to help you. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Okay. Also Wolff makes replacement springs.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Back on the cleaning. If JB is involved and I think you said it was, one will generate "black" until well after the cows come home. That stuff just turns black with a pass or two down the bore, and you will never experience a white swabbing patch. Find a buddy with a bore scope, or just look at the muzzle end with Q-tip and a flashlight. If one sees dime bright steel, he's there.

Waxed and/or coated slugs seldom give one any issues. Bare lead, however, has some potential for leading.

Like said above. After a cleaning, mine need 15 or 20 rds to settle down. Thereafter, I'd not clean until accuracy falls off or one's in an environment that experiences some serious temperature/humidity swings.

Last edited by 1minute; 09/05/16.

1Minute
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
what's the Q-tip and flashlight technique, 1minute? I'm not familiar with it.

yes, JB will generate black all day and all night long.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Only good for looking at about 3 inches of bore, but poke Q-tip in to maximum depth, and then shine a flashlight down. White cotton bounces enough light around to illuminate the bore.

1Minute
IC B3

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Okay, I'll try it. THANKS!!

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
I have just received & installed a new firing pin spring, and will report back on it after I test it in the next several days.

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
New firing pin spring installed. Today, I put about 100 rounds down the tube at 50 yards...Lapua Center-X (a known accurate lot); Wolf Match Extra (also an accurate lot); Eley Club; Geco Rifle; RWS Target Rifle.

Groups shrunk slightly, but nothing to write home a about.
Still have a flier or two in a 5 shot group.

Different scope tried---a 24x Fecker.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you're anything like me, you're prone to falling into bad habits and practices without realizing it. My most accurate rimfire is a Model 52 repro, and I have found that getting the best out of it is very demanding. I have to consciously make myself grip the rifle the same and make sure I'm not pushing the buttstock to maintain sight (scope) alignment. If I do everything right, I can get five shots in a quarter-inch or less at fifty. But if I'm being sloppy, groups over a half-inch are not uncommon.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Agreed with RiverRider that form is everything. I shot two 22's and 2 center fires today. The Annie is the only one that didn't perform well.

The H&R 12 target that I shot had a 5 shot one hole group with Lapua Center-X at the end of the day.

Yes, the Annie is touchy, and won't tolerate sloppiness.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I sympathize with you in your frustration.

There is one other thing I can think of that might hold some potential for a solution---headspace. I am not familiar with the Anschutz 54, but I had a 541-T that had just a bit of excess headspace. The bolt in the 541/581 is two-piece and I was able to assemble it with a shim in between the two parts to decrease headspace a bit, and it seemed to help.

I have also done a bit of rim thickness sorting with some rimfire ammo. I used a Stoney Point bullet comparator set with the .24-caliber insert and used this to measure. It may not give good absolute measurements, but I think it's an effective technique for sorting. Measurements seem to range from 0.040" to 0.043" and you might gain some insight by sorting and shooting the stuff with the thickest rims and comparing to accuracy of ammo with the thinnest rims. That's no solution to the problem, but like I said, you might gain a little insight that could help you determine what the problem may be and then correct it.

I had to drill out a little material in the comparator body to accommodate the length of a .22 LR round.

Best of luck...and please let us know what the problem turns out to be---I hope you figure it out!

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
I do sort all of my ammo by rim thickness. Oddball variant ammo are used for coating the barrel.

I'll look into the headspace issue---THANKS FOR THE SUGGRESTION!!

At this point, it's probably going to a local (2 hours away) gunsmith who specializes in .22 target rifles.

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
I did speak by phone with a local Western PA gunsmith, who specializes in building .22 bench rest target rifles.

I explained my dilemma, and the first question that he asked was, "are you trying to shoot bench rest competition with an all position rifle?" If so, you're probably fighting an uphill battle, because of stock design, stock cast off, etc.

He said that there are some shooters who can do it, but the average shooter will indeed experience inconsistencies, including fliers.

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Anschutz 54 traded to a position shooter.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
199 members (32_20fan, 257_X_50, 1minute, 300_savage, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 28 invisible), 2,064 guests, and 969 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,645
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.