-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Tinman...I posted in theAI thread on this but in case you didn't see it yet...here goes. Two things:

1) Speed is your friend with Barnes...the 62 grainer wont necessarily give you that in a plain vanilla .223 a 50 or 55 grainer would be more better.
2) Just say "No" to TSX and go strictly TTSX

Good on you for a 500 yard antelope kill, but with the little bullet in a little gun, it was a fluke. The BC just isn't there to expect long range results out of the little gun.I feel comfortable with clean kills at 300 yards...but wouldn't want to try further....JMHO

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by teal
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
The tipped TTSX and its predecessor the MRX have never given anyone I hunt with reason to complain. We've never recovered one and most animals we've shot with them have gone straight down.

A buddy of mine has a 168 TTSX (or 165) he recovered from a bull shot at 60 yards with a .308. It looks almost new, minus the tip. He hit it in the heart. I wouldn't call it bullet failure, but the following year he was shooting Partitions.

The 130 is a much better choice in a .308.

I had always heard - go a weight class lighter than you would normally for caliber with the TSX type bullet.

For instance - if you would normally shoot a 140 grain in your 7-08, drop down to the 120 TTSX or 150 .308 instead of 180.

Dunno why.

Because as poobah noted, they need the extra speed to perform best.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The fact that you recovered that bullet is the clue. I have never ever recovered a Barnes bullet from an animal whether it was shot at 50 feet or 375 yards. The bullet hit something and was tumbling before it hit the animal or was tumbling for some other reason. A 223 Barnes launched at near 3000fps at a deer that was less than 100 yards down range would pass through end to end unless it went right down the spinal column and destroyed half the vertebrae. Also the fact that you had a lot of damaged meat would indicate tumbling.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
The fact that you recovered that bullet is the clue. I have never ever recovered a Barnes bullet from an animal whether it was shot at 50 feet or 375 yards. The bullet hit something and was tumbling before it hit the animal or was tumbling for some other reason. A 223 Barnes launched at near 3000fps at a deer that was less than 100 yards down range would pass through end to end unless it went right down the spinal column and destroyed half the vertebrae. Also the fact that you had a lot of damaged meat would indicate tumbling.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Bullets tumble frequently inside animals. We just don't see it, but tests in clear ballistic gel show tumbling happens even in a very consistent medium now and then. Throw in something like a bone, especially with a bullet that's marginally stabilized, and stuff can happen.

One reasonable guess about TSX's not opening has been the hollow-point being battered shut (or partly shut) by hitting the front of a rifle's magazine during recoil--or for some other reason during handling. This is based on the majority of recovered bullets that didn't open (or partially opened like the 62 shown here) are between 6mm and .30 in caliber. These bullets have relatively tiny holes in the front end, as compared to over-.30 TSX's which have bigger holes. Plus, 6mm-.30 cartridges also recoil more than .224 cartridges. In fact, this is the first .224 I've heard about being recovered without expanding correctly.

This can happen with plastic-tipped monolithics, but in my experience is pretty rare. In fact I've never experienced it in a bunch of animals taken by me and my hunting companions, whether using TTSX's. Nosler E-Tips or Hornady GMX's. But it's happened to other people, though not nearly as often as with hollow-points. If I'm using TSX's at moderate velocities, I much prefer the BIG ones, over .30 caliber, because the bigger hollow-point definitely seems to help. Otherwise I use TTSX's, and even then like them zipping right along.

On these threads somebody always comments that they've never seen a TSX or TTSX recovered. I have quite a little collection of them, some from pretty small big game animals. In fact two years ago my wife recovered a .25 100-grain TTSX from two consecutive animals, both clean one-shot kills. One was from a cow elk, which might be expected, but the other from a pronghorn doe. It does happen if you shoot enough animals.

My guess here is the bullet just didn't open as much as usual. Have seen similar TSX's where the bullet never hit anything except the animal, so would not leap to any assumptions about the bullet hitting a branch. Would guess the dent near the base is from hitting bone as the bullet tumbled.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I appreciate the OP sharing this and the resultant discussion. That bullet does look rather rough.

For those of you who have used the 0.224" Barnes bullets extensively, what bullet would you recommend to the OP instead? The 55g TTSX? Or would the lighter/higher velocity of the 50g TTSX be even better?

I ask because I'm in the same boat, a standard .223 Remington with a 1:9" twist, 22" barrel. I was planning on buying and loading the 55g TTSX but now I'm wondering if the 50g TTSX would "more better".

Thanks.

“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
― Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Azar
I appreciate the OP sharing this and the resultant discussion. That bullet does look rather rough.

For those of you who have used the 0.224" Barnes bullets extensively, what bullet would you recommend to the OP instead? The 55g TTSX? Or would the lighter/higher velocity of the 50g TTSX be even better?

I ask because I'm in the same boat, a standard .223 Remington with a 1:9" twist, 22" barrel. I was planning on buying and loading the 55g TTSX but now I'm wondering if the 50g TTSX would "more better".

Thanks.

The 55 TTSX would be your huckleberry. I shot the 50 grainers in my .223AI and they killed game but when I actually got around to chronographing them I was getting 3200fps.
I surmised that was due to very little bearing surface, which in turn produces less pressure...which is already lower in a Barnes due to the alloy and the driving bands.. Anyway, tried EXACTLY the same load with a 55 TTSX and voila! 3500 fps...which is where the AI ought to be.

T_Inman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tcp
Some thoughts that may/may not be relevant:

If the bullet tumbled, which from its appearance seems likely, I would anticipate that the nose cavity would still open as shown just due to the hollow point and scored nose.

Had the bullet not tumbled, I would anticipate it would have passed through the animal at 80 yards with as little expansion as is present- unless the shot was frontal and the bullet ended up in the pelvis.

The follow up shot(s) were also Barnes bullets presumably? Did you recover those, and if so did they expand properly? If those bullets went un recovered, maybe those also did not expand but passed through.

I have no dog in the fight either way, I am ambivalent on the subject of Barnes bullets- If I could get my rifles to shoot Partitions well, I would not consider using Barnes, however I have found the Barnes product substantially more accurate than Partions in the few rifles I have tried both in.

The other shot (presumably the 2nd shot, which dropped the buck real quicklike) did exit and yes, it was another 62 TSX with the same loading..

T_Inman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ingwe
Tinman...I posted in theAI thread on this but in case you didn't see it yet...here goes. Two things:

1) Speed is your friend with Barnes...the 62 grainer wont necessarily give you that in a plain vanilla .223 a 50 or 55 grainer would be more better.
2) Just say "No" to TSX and go strictly TTSX

Good on you for a 500 yard antelope kill, but with the little bullet in a little gun, it was a fluke. The BC just isn't there to expect long range results out of the little gun.I feel comfortable with clean kills at 300 yards...but wouldn't want to try further....JMHO

Wyoming law dictates that if I use a .224 bullet for deer or antelope, it has to be at least 60 grains...which is why I went with the 62 grainer.

I may play with the TTSX next, just to see WTH...May even spit it out of a faster round too.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I say again....label your hand loads however you like...the game warden isn't going to pull a bullet and weigh it....

and chances are nothing less than excellent that he wont know what he's looking at anyway.

Last edited by ingwe; 09/22/16.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The bullet in question failed, multi-layered equivocations aside.

If something doesn't expand when it's designed to do so, that's a failure by any logical standard. If a guy wants FMJ results, he should just buy those as they're substantially cheaper. Legality aside, they'll tumble just fine, and kill a deer quite dead.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
T, I have never shot a Barnes bullet in my life.. I have killed about 60-70 head of big game with everything from the Hornet though the .22 Cheetah.. Got a bunch with old 55 gr. Sierra HPBT.. It and the 55 gr. Horn.. Were my favorites when I was playing this game.. I believe I have a 55 Horn. taken from a whitetail that mushroomed perfectly.. It was killed with a .223.. The Nosler BTBT's killed a couple head for me, and the 63 gr. Sierra worked well also.
Good luck with what ever you decide..

Molon Labe
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
TInman,

Ah, yes, Wyoming finally legalizes .224's for big game hunting, but simply has to dictate some other limitation, because some experts in the department are still convinced bullet weight is essential to killing power.

When I started hunting in Montana there was a minimum .23 caliber regulation, to keep people from shooting deer with ".22's." A .23 minimum was common back then, and mostly directed at the .220 Swift, because so many game department experts (many of whom had never even seen a .220 Swift, much less shot one) knew it wasn't adequate for big game. Eventually, however, the regulation was changed to allow, with a few exceptions, any rifle cartridge to be used on big game, even rimfires. They somehow figured that hunters would use something that worked, rather than something that didn't.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
T_Inman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I've had great luck in Montana and Idaho with 22 CFs and basic C&C bullets...especially the various 55 grainers. I even killed a great mulie a few years ago with my .204 Ruger and the Hornady 45 grain bullet. All of them worked just as well as any more accepted round/bullet.

I am not giving up on monos just yet, but I sure am not impressed. The velocity thing may be the kicker...but I can't imagine the monos I have flung at critters were going too slow. Its not like I am shooting them out of a 25-20 or anything.

T_Inman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I say again....label your hand loads however you like...the game warden isn't going to pull a bullet and weigh it....

and chances are nothing less than excellent that he wont know what he's looking at anyway.

This is very true (and I personally know all of the game wardens here locally due to my work-they are ignorant in regards to bullets/rifles) but it being shady wouldn't make it right...

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
The plastic-tip monos like the TTSX definitely open more reliably and, usually, wider in smaller calibers. This is because the hole where the tip's inserted is a LOT bigger than the tiny hollow-point in small-caliber TSX's.

John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
[Linked Image]

In 7mm-08 they have worked well for me so far.

Attached Images
barnes tsx 7mm08.JPG (59.95 KB, 58 downloads)
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

On these threads somebody always comments that they've never seen a TSX or TTSX recovered. I have quite a little collection of them, some from pretty small big game animals. In fact two years ago my wife recovered a .25 100-grain TTSX from two consecutive animals, both clean one-shot kills. One was from a cow elk, which might be expected, but the other from a pronghorn doe. It does happen if you shoot enough animals.

Guess I haven't shot enough yet? laugh

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I personally saw one recovered this last moose hunt... out of four bulls shot with them. Only one and it was a finisher at the base of the skull at staplegun range and a long angle to the spine. 210gr 338WM and the bullet looks beautiful!

While I see complete lengthwise pass-throughs on big Kodiak bears, both shoulders taken out on big bull moose, and the rare very light bullets in very big critters the standard use bullets just do not get caught in my experience.

Of course I am only shooting box after box over the course of many years... maybe if I shot more...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The 55 TTSX would be your huckleberry. I shot the 50 grainers in my .223AI and they killed game but when I actually got around to chronographing them I was getting 3200fps.
I surmised that was due to very little bearing surface, which in turn produces less pressure...which is already lower in a Barnes due to the alloy and the driving bands.. Anyway, tried EXACTLY the same load with a 55 TTSX and voila! 3500 fps...which is where the AI ought to be.

Thanks Ingwe, I appreciate the feedback. And now that you bring it up again, I recall reading about your experience with the two previously. Which is probably one of the reasons why I decided to go with the 55g TTSX in the first place! smile

“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
― Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (1eyedmule, 10gaugeman, 1minute, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 1beaver_shooter, 67 invisible), 2,911 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,706
Posts18,456,843
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.