Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
johnw Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Have noticed over the last several years that some sets of dies and some types of bullets are less consistent in seating depth consistency.

Typically, when setting up for a different bullet I'll start a bit long and shorten up til I get the oal I want. measure a couple at the start and then forget it til I change bullet again.

Have been paying a bit more attention lately, and am curious as to how consistent others loads are in seating depth.

Tonight, I loaded 100 25-06 and was aiming for c.o.a.l. of 3.145. Depth to lands is 3.160 with this bullet. Of the samples I checked, oal ran from 3.140 - 3.148. One load that I accidently ran the lead tip into the bottom face of the die measured 3.130.

How does this compare to your experience?

"Chances Will Be Taken"

GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
My guess is the ogive of your bullets are not consistent. This will result in some bullets being able to advance further into the seating stem and others less so. I have in the past seen more variation than the .008" you cite. Think of the ogive contacting the seater as a datum point. Change the ogive and the datum point changes. C.O.L. doesn't tell the whole story.

Last edited by Captain; 09/21/16.

NRA Benefactor Member

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizenry still gets to vote!"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Neck tension variations will cause this as will compressed loads.

Swifty
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Are you measuring off bullet ogives or tips?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I measure off the ogive and some bullets give me fits in trying to keep each round the same.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Which seating die and bullets give you such trouble?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It sometimes helps to take out your seating stem and polish the end where the ogive of the bullet contacts it. You can do this by lightly chucking the stem in a drill (so you don't mess up the threads) and polishing with some fine sandpaper. This keeps the bullet from sticking in the stem while seating.
I have had this happen so bad that the bullets would pull back out of the cases when the ram was lowered.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by mathman
Which seating die and bullets give you such trouble?

6.5X55 Lee Seater

Most bullets are fine, so I am reluctant to jump on the "Lee is crap" bandwagon.

140 Hornady SPs
129 Hornady SPs
130 TSXs
Some Ancient W-W 100 SPs
This group varies more than I'd like. They aren't terrible, but I just wanted to share my experience.

Best, John

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
johnw Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger

I measure off the tip of the bullet. I possess no way to measure off the ogive.

The worst of my dies are my rcbs 25-06 set, and the worst of the bullets are the hornady 100 IL, and the sierra 117 BTSP.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Measuring off the tips isn't all that consistent. It's easy to see several thousandths round to round on the tips even when the ogives are dead nuts even.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Watch the video about the Hornady Bullet Comparator.Overall lengths used to drive me crazy.They were all over the place.This tool has really saved me many headaches.
http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...AF9A9C92B72EACE9BC52AF9A&FORM=VRDGAR

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
baldhunter - do you struggle with getting repeated readings when using the tool to determine distance to lands for a given bullet? I get many different numbers and finally settle on one that seems the most representative.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by johnw

The worst of my dies are my rcbs 25-06 set, and the worst of the bullets are the hornady 100 IL, and the sierra 117 BTSP.

Buy one of these and measure off of the ogive:

http://www.sinclairintl.com/reloadi...-style-bullet-comparators-prod83792.aspx

My Redding competition seaters and the Forster ultra seater have been really consistent for me. Compressed loads can affect it too.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Seating pressure can also influence seating depth consistency. I first noticed when I was loading the same bullets into cases prepped the same way but doing an increasing amount of powder; example 30-06 loading RL22 in sets of 3 at each powder level, 59.0, 59.5, 60.0, 60.5 etc.

When the bullet starts compressing the powder, the OAL would increase. IMO this is due to increased pressure on the linkages of the press and the seater can not seat as far.

Also happens when you have an inconsistent neck ID or inside neck surface.

IOW when a bullet is harder to seat for whatever reason, the OAL will increase slightly

"The beauty of the 2nd amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it" - Thomas Jefferson

Criminals prefer unarmed victims and dictators prefer unarmed citizens
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Originally Posted by johnw

Measuring off the tips isn't all that consistent. It's easy to see several thousandths round to round on the tips even when the ogives are dead nuts even.

Bingo. Why ask the question when you are measuring off the tip of the bullet. The seater is going to push off the same spot on the bullet which makes the OAL meaningless when measuring off the tip. The seater doesn't push on the tip of the bullet, but closer to the ogive. Just like when you check where the lands are with a dummy round. The sides of the bullet come into contact with the lands, not the tip. Some of this chit is pretty simple really. Damn sure not rocket science... wink

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (10ring1, 160user, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 12344mag, 62 invisible), 2,652 guests, and 1,199 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,217
Posts18,466,363
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.