Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
Gitsum Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G

Yup that should be right on the money. I just measured mine @ 20" and its about .692" but then I have a short shank on this one, its 5/8" inch so I'm going to be a bit skinnier at 20".

My Lilja #3 @ 20" is about .718" or so - also with a shorter then usual shank.

Not a great picture but here is a Classic with a #3 Brux on the left and a Classic with a Rem sporter on right. The Brux is a perfect fit IMHO.

[Linked Image]
[/quote]

Yeah good fit for sure, thanks for the measurements! I hear the classic callin my name, just gotta find one with pillars in stock somewhere.

Last edited by Gitsum; 09/21/16.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Out of every 10 McMillan stocks I sell, all actions and manufacturers, I would say 4 are Remington Classics. It is, by far, the most popular Remington pattern I sell.

The problem with in stock is finding one with that specific barrel inlet/shank length. That's a longshot.

Most in-stock stuff is either going to be factory specs, or stuff that got cancelled.

FYI, I have Rem Classics in EDGE tech, in stock, for $569 delivered. Pick your color.

And yes, factory barrel contour.

Whichever way you go, you are going to love your McMillan. Just choose your pattern wisely.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
G
Gitsum Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Yeah I realize that since I have the Criterion REMAGE LIGHT VARMINT BARREL AND NUT I am gonna have a gap between the stock and the radius area of the barrel since the factory barrel has a different radius and shank length. Having to relieve the sporter channel to fit my light varmint should take care of some of it but I don't know how much gap I will have around the nut and radius after I widen the channel. If it's minimal and not plain ugly big no big deal, don't know if it's a small gap if it's worth waiting 4 or 5 months for one to be precisely inletted at Mcmillans either. Mmmmmmmm Have any idea how much gap I would be lookin at?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Send me a pic of that shank. Or if you have a factory sporter around, you can mike at, say, 1/4-inch intervals and get a better idea. Also, if it's not a huge gap, bedding compound can take care of it when you bed the action, depending on the stock color you choose, and the color of the compound. Obviously, black, gray (even brown) are easier to match.

Keep in mind, the $569 for the EDGE is about $100 off retail, so it's that, plus the wait time, versus the custom order, which we can handle as well.

If it's a big gap, then I suggest you order. The last thing you want to do is shortcut a custom project. Otherwise, the bedding process can take care of minimal gappage.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
G
Gitsum Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Lol, I only have the REM receiver and jewel trigger at the moment, Criterion barrel and nut is paid for and ordered from NSS. Barrel not due till middle of October. I really don't want to short cut the project like you said. My receiver is a REM 40x single shot receiver so at minimum if buyin an in stock stock it would have to be ADL. I will contact you when my barrel arrives and I have some specs

THANKS grin

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Gitsum
My receiver is a REM 40x single shot receiver so at minimum if buyin an in stock stock it would have to be ADL.

FYI, if you dig a little deeper, Stockys does not have any Classics in stock right now for a 700 short action. They generally have pillars, and barrel channels are ordered/stocked as Rem Mag inlets.

G
Gitsum Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
I did not call them but they were showing that they did have an single shot short action classic this morning but didn't say if it had pillars

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Gitsum
I did not call them but they were showing that they did have an single shot short action classic this morning but didn't say if it had pillars

If you have access to a drill press, a mill, or even a steady hand with a hand drill, and can mix epoxy, you can add pillars yourself. I wouldn't let the lack of pillars stand in my way, if meant I could have a stock in day rather than months.

Last edited by WiFowler; 09/21/16.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
G
Gitsum Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
I do have the press but I am gonna go with Rickbin on this one. Since I would also end up with a gap around my REMAGE barrel/nut transition, have to open up the barrel channel AND install pillars in a "in stock" McMillan I believe I will take Rickbins advice and not rush my build and have McMillan inlet my stock to my action and REMAGE barrel setup. I am in no hurry and plenty of rifles to fall back on this season. I appreciate you pointing out my options.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Place your order through Rickbin, he beats mcmillans price

IC B3

G
Gitsum Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
He beats their price? Since he deals with them does he get a quicker turn around time?
How do I talk to him about it "voice to voice"?

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W

Originally Posted by Oregonmuley
Originally Posted by WiFowler
FWIW, most aftermarket barrels taper ~.010 per inch, beginning +/- 6" from the breach end. That said, best guess is the Bartlein #2b will be ~.710" @ 20"; #3, ~.720" @ @ 20". YMMV depending on how much shank you chose to leave on the barrel.

You could always call Tracy @ Bartlein.

Bartlein Contours

Yup that should be right on the money. I just measured mine @ 20" and its about .692" but then I have a short shank on this one, its 5/8" inch so I'm going to be a bit skinnier at 20".

My Lilja #3 @ 20" is about .718" or so - also with a shorter then usual shank.

Not a great picture but here is a Classic with a #3 Brux on the left and a Classic with a Rem sporter on right. The Brux is a perfect fit IMHO.

[Linked Image]

Muley: Can you post some more pics and specs of that rifle on the left? Love that brown speckletone stock!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 16penny, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 64 invisible), 2,219 guests, and 1,148 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,209
Posts18,466,132
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.