-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Simple take down - one push button at the back of the frame to release upper, no more loaded chamber indicator, redesigned bolt stop and ambidextrous safety.

http://ruger.com/products/markIV/overview.html

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
GB1

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

nice.......I've got the hots for this Ruger......

since I now have an excess of ammo...... crazy

http://ruger.com/products/1022Target/models.html

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Jim in Idaho...thanks for the information. The new Mk. 4 costs about 30.00 more and is less streamlined than the older models, but for those who like to field strip their guns routinely, this is the answer.

I rarely take mine apart, but have done so (Mk. 3) in the past, it is a pain in the butt.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
mehhh.....no threaded models.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Tikkanut: I think you are going to like that Ruger 10/22 Target Model very much.
I bought one recently up in a chain store in Butte, Montana.
One of the countermen in the gun department of that store bought the Ruger 10/22 stainless (gray?) Target Rifle and mounted an expensive Weaver variable scope on it - and then never shot the gun. Something else came in the shop and he changed his Gopher Hunting mind.
I got the new unfired Rifle, the scope, rings and a very nice Rifle case all for $440.00 out the door (no sales tax).
The trigger on this Rifle is pretty good and it shoots VERY well with hollow-point Hunting type ammunition.
I just love the gun and got it online at the very end of this years Gopher season.
I like everything about this Rifle.
I have several older Ruger 10/22 Deluxe Models - one of which I installed a Lilja ($265.00!) heavy barrel match chambered barrel on.
This newest factory Rifle shoots just about as well as my customized Lilja barreled Rifle does!
Best of luck to you when you get the 10/22 Target - I am sure you will enjoy it.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
If I were buying a new one, I'd probably get the MK IV just because it's the latest, but I won't be replacing my MK II's and MK III's.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Among Rugers I prefer the Mark IIs, but one reason I got a Smith Victory is that the mag safety can be removed in about 2 minutes. The new Ruger is handsome, but the Hunter model goes for almost twice what I paid for the Smith. People get defensive about their favorites, but I think there's room for both in the market. Whatever winds your clock....

What fresh Hell is this?
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I like the new MkIV but like others I am all set with my Mk III. The MKIV is an improvement on many levels. There is no plastic loading indicator - big plus. The controls, safety & release are both easier and ambi. The mags fly out, no sticking. And the take down blows away the Mk III or the troublesome screw used on the Victory.

The actual prices are more like 560 target and 630 hunter at bricks and mortar. These are hi end models. The standards run $100 less in MkIII. I expect the same range with Mk IV. A standard model of any Mk, is almost competitive with smith. Smith is less cost when you factor in stainless and sights. it is not 1/2 price though. The LGS smiths run near 400 about same as a standard Mk.

The grip angles are different from smith to ruger. That alone might dictate the buyers choice. I dont even care so much for the feel of the legendary model 41. Other will like the 41, victory, 22/45 grip.

I forgot another change, The Mk IV is available with either steel frame or aluminum frame. The steel weight is good for match shooting but not so much for casual lugging around. I like the all stainless hunter, but now there will be more choices. A standard model MK with an aluminum frame will be a big step up, IMHO, from a plastic 22/45 gun.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by fourbore
I like the new MkIV but like others I am all set with my Mk III...

Same here. I already have two good Mk III models, both stainless, a 5.5” bull barrel and a 6 7/8” slabside target model. I’m a southpaw so the safety is kind of a pain but I’ve lived with right hand only safeties all my life. The LCI is somewhat ugly but in the grand scheme of things a non-issue. Both pistols are accurate and reliable so there is no reason to fix what ain’t broke there. I may have fully taken each one apart at some point in time but forget when, probably when I first bought them some years ago to get any factory preservative off. For any routine cleaning – I also forget when that was last done wink - a toothbrush cleans the crud from around the chamber and off the bolt face, the bore never gets cleaned and a little gun oil on the slide keeps everything else operating properly.

But were I in the market for a new Ruger .22 pistol I’d pass over all of the Mk III’s and get that 5.5” Target Mk IV in a heartbeat. I don’t know what Ruger’s plans are but would imagine they just started the Mk IV with the two most popular models and suspect they will eventually offer it in the standard and other configurations, perhaps/probably even the 22/45.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
That "troublesome" screw on the Victory seem to be a trouble for some, but not all, or even most. I've had no issues as yet and none of the reviews I watched or read mentioned it.

Some folks can fugg up a wet dream.

You're right on about the grip angle. Another factor is the way your finger fits the trigger. I have a heckuva time finding semi-autos of any sort that feel good there, 1911s excepted. My new S&W 63 revolver is perfect in that respect.

I do envy the nice grips on the new Ruger. Hopefully, either S&W or someone else will come out with something soon.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

490 members (17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 204guy, 007FJ, 2500HD, 06hunter59, 45 invisible), 2,599 guests, and 1,249 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,598
Posts18,454,390
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.