Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Well over 400 bucks since 1955!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I know what you mean about the number of deer. When I was a kid it seemed like there were few to be seen during deer season. Now that has changed a lot. I honestly don't know how many I have shot, but I have been deer hunting since I was I think 12 or 13 and I got my first deer when I was 15 which at that time had to be a buck. Since then I have managed to fill my tag numerous times, but I never kept a good journal or way to record it. The most I ever shot in one season was 5 and I have shot 2 in a day several times. Last year I only shot one doe.

One thing I have noticed, since I have gotten older. I don't really care to keep score or compare mine to someone else's. The only thing I care about is whether I can get out into the field and enjoy a day without work or the other crap in my life which gives me a headache.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
What a stupid, mute point!!Different states, persons age, persons mind set, many older hunters will only shoot big bucks so go years without. Numbers don't mean squat fun afield is what matters!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
22 deer 2 antelope since 2008.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I used to count, when I was younger and it was a macho thing.... I've grown way past that point over the last 25 years or so...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by moosemike
Originally Posted by rost495
A few years ago I lost interest in shooting Doe. And I don't want bucks that you have to turn the scope up to 9x to see the antlers either. I simply don't care that much if I get a deer or not. So I'll never put up really big numbers which pleases me because I don't want to gut, drag, and butcher that much.

I shoot what needs to be shot for the betterment of the herd. And now and then a wall deer. But pretty rare.

So I shoot does, culls and so on.

I don't really understand why some folks get tired of does or culls and just shoot big bucks.

I can totally get the desire to shoot less and less as I age, I have not really gotten there, but I enjoy all the work too. Well making sausage to the tune of 600 pounds a year is getting to be a job...

But I don't get folks not maintaining what they hunt like they would their livestock. You do whats best for the herd.

On one place all we ever shot were does. On anohter place I've never shot a doe, though finally we are getting to numbers that we may start shooting 1 or 2 a year. Another place we shot cull bucks only. Another place I shoot anything that needs to... but having shot the biggest buck of my life there last year, and the chances of finding bigger are almost nil or less, I suspect that place will now be does and culls for the rest of my life.

So whats up with folks not wanting to shoot cull bucks or does? IF its good for the herd?

I only hunt public land so I really can't manage the herd.

We hunt a fair amount of public also. We still shoot the same way, for the best for the herd. Sometimes we start a trend by talking to others. Sometimes its all we can do.

If there are to many animals, and granted there are not always, we shoot females. Simple. tasty. Not always easy. In fact the biggest trophy to me is a doe head mounted on the wall... she was by FAR harder to kill with an arrow than my largest bucks. In fact the largest ones have been the easiest to pattern and arrow or shoot...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rost495
A few years ago I lost interest in shooting Doe. And I don't want bucks that you have to turn the scope up to 9x to see the antlers either. I simply don't care that much if I get a deer or not. So I'll never put up really big numbers which pleases me because I don't want to gut, drag, and butcher that much.

I shoot what needs to be shot for the betterment of the herd. And now and then a wall deer. But pretty rare.

So I shoot does, culls and so on.

I don't really understand why some folks get tired of does or culls and just shoot big bucks.

I can totally get the desire to shoot less and less as I age, I have not really gotten there, but I enjoy all the work too. Well making sausage to the tune of 600 pounds a year is getting to be a job...

But I don't get folks not maintaining what they hunt like they would their livestock. You do whats best for the herd.

On one place all we ever shot were does. On anohter place I've never shot a doe, though finally we are getting to numbers that we may start shooting 1 or 2 a year. Another place we shot cull bucks only. Another place I shoot anything that needs to... but having shot the biggest buck of my life there last year, and the chances of finding bigger are almost nil or less, I suspect that place will now be does and culls for the rest of my life.

So whats up with folks not wanting to shoot cull bucks or does? IF its good for the herd?

I only hunt public land so I really can't manage the herd.
Or small parcels of private. I shoot what I feel like, but there's not mistaking, what I'm doing on my little piece of dirt is truly not going to "improve the herd". Have yet to hear/read too many folks be able to articulate what they want to "improve" and even fewer that can prove that they are "improving" anything. Cull and management buck are terms, IMO, created to give someone a sense of relief for pulling the trigger on a non-mature buck.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
One deer per year here in Idaho. I've been at it for about 30 years and have shot a couple dozen. Have passed on deer I would usually take on years where the numbers were down. Winterkill has a huge effect on numbers around here.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Pointer, I do not want to start a pissing contest! But you are so wrong about deer management, it's hard to tell you just how wrong you are, with out starting an argument, I suggest you get out of your own little world and learn what can be done with good animal management.
Rio7

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RIO7
Pointer, I do not want to start a pissing contest! But you are so wrong about deer management, it's hard to tell you just how wrong you are, with out starting an argument, I suggest you get out of your own little world and learn what can be done with good animal management.
Rio7

Not into a pissing match. I would hazard a guess I know a bit more about deer/game management than most. I didn't articulate my point very well. Where I currently hunt, a large piece of ground to hunt on is 100ac. Most tracts folks hunt on are much smaller than that. Yet, I still get guys telling me they are shooting "culls" and "management" bucks. Nothing that is done on one piece of dirt that small is going to affect the herd of an animal where an individual generally has a home range larger than each piece of the "management puzzle". That's my problem.

With enough acres and control of the take; I would agree that one can have an impact with management that can effect the herd. It's been seen in too many places on too many types of wildlife for one to ignore that. With my interest in wildlife and range management, I'm thinking I'd find more than enough on your place to keep me interested for a long time.

IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Compared to some of y'all I've not shot many at all. Truthfully, I don't even know. I don't keep track, but I probably could come up with a number...but I don't need to. I'm not in a contest. I can hunt, I can shoot trophy deer, I can shoot spikes and does. At some point, they all get me excited.

Some years I'm pretty gung-ho about getting a deer. Some years I'm gung-ho about being at deer camp with the crew or just in the woods myself enjoying my time.

I take a few weeks off in November. That's the vacation I look forward too all year. It's my time to reset my brain.

I enjoy being at the camp at least as much as I do hunting. Don't get me wrong, there is still a thrill to kill a deer and make meat for my family. We all enjoy it.

But to now see the excitement in my son's eyes as we get stands ready, get food lists together, talk about shot placement, stand placement, where would be a good place to still hunt....his excitement gets me fired up and he's never shot a deer.

Camp is where you make it.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Pointer, Thank you for you reply, I have no exprience managing deer on small fragmented pieces of land, I would find it frustrating not to have control of the land and the food, water and cover, not to mention what critters were taken each year and their numbers.

I have taken control of land that had no or nearly no deer, and thru habitat management and deer management, the land and the deer recovered, it takes time but it can be done, mother nature can do wonders if given the chance to do her work. Rio7

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Once again one of the stupidest threads ever on 24 H campfire!!!!!!!

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
It does rank up there.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pointer, Thank you for you reply, I have no exprience managing deer on small fragmented pieces of land, I would find it frustrating not to have control of the land and the food, water and cover, not to mention what critters were taken each year and their numbers.

I have taken control of land that had no or nearly no deer, and thru habitat management and deer management, the land and the deer recovered, it takes time but it can be done, mother nature can do wonders if given the chance to do her work. Rio7
I think we are on the same page then. My situation is just much different than yours. We have fun on our 55ac. If I ever hit the lottery I plan to blow most of it on dirt. Lots and lots of dirt! wink

From what I've gathered from your postings here you guys seem to have a very good thing going on down there. Congrats! Ever give tours? wink I did my graduate research on a large ranch that was managed well for both wildlife and cattle. It was a great place to spend some time and do a bunch of learning.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I began killing deer in 1986 at 12 years old. I've killed on average 2-3 per year and some years more. I've not been a single season where I didn't kill at least one deer. I'm 42 years old and killed one already with a bow last weekend. I have no idea of the number. I've killed WAY more than 3/4 of these deer from the ground....man made blinds and a few from hub style or pop up blinds.

Regards,
Nick- Georgia
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Ghost: I am not into "quantity" I am much more interested in "quality" Hunting!
I have a nice Antelope in my freezer already and have about 5 more weeks to harvest a Deer and/or an Elk in Montana here.
That will be at least "enough" meat in our freezers for the next years useages.
I hold no quarrel with those that can shoot and eat 40 Deer per year.
If Deer are so prevalent that the limits are at 40 per year per Hunter then I say get after'em and make sure the herds stay within bounds and healthy.
I love venison but to eat 40+ Deer per year I don't think that fits into my lifestyle/needs/wants.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Year ago I hunted South Georgia Whitetails out of a family tree stand. At the time the limit was 7 per year there. At the end of the morning my cousin came by to ask why I had not shot any of the does that came by my stand. I thought they were fawns! Those deer were tiny.

I'm with varmintguy, if your state let's you shoot 40 a year, more power to you. With that much population you need to put more in the freezer to get through the year. I prefer our "Big Boned" deer out in the west. BBWT?

In Idaho if you draw all the tags and buy an unsold Non-Resident tag (at full cost) you could legally shoot 3 deer per year, 4 if you get on a depredation hunt. I have always been able to draw my local "X" (for extra) antlerless tag, but not this year. They have been discovered and competition is higher.

To answer the OP's actually question, The most I have taken in single year here in Idaho is three. One on a Whitetail tag, one on an "X" Antlerless Whitetail tag, one on a Mule Deer Antlerless Depredation tag.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Pointer, We are in a different world, we have a class 3 MLB permit from the Texas Parks and Wildlife, each year we are required to do a game survey, and give TP&W our results, then they tell us how many Whitetails, we need to take off, we have from the Oct 1st. till The last of Feb. to take our quota off the ranch. We also record age, weight,and collect the lower jaw of all deer killed, and we B&C score every buck taken, Results and lower jaws are turned over to TP&W.

This all turns into a lot of work, and takes a lot of time, this year we will take off 400 Whitetails, Plus about 300 pigs, Plus about 60 Exotic's.

It turns into work after about the first 50 critters. Rio7

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pointer, We are in a different world, we have a class 3 MLB permit from the Texas Parks and Wildlife, each year we are required to do a game survey, and give TP&W our results, then they tell us how many Whitetails, we need to take off, we have from the Oct 1st. till The last of Feb. to take our quota off the ranch. We also record age, weight,and collect the lower jaw of all deer killed, and we B&C score every buck taken, Results and lower jaws are turned over to TP&W.

This all turns into a lot of work, and takes a lot of time, this year we will take off 400 Whitetails, Plus about 300 pigs, Plus about 60 Exotic's.

It turns into work after about the first 50 critters. Rio7
Sounds like a great program! I can imagine that dealing with that many critters and hunters becomes work. Makes my 1.5ac of food plots and making sure my two boys are warm and fed while hunting look very tame. Like I said before, you guys have enough neat stuff going on there that I'm pretty sure I could stay interested/entertained for a long time.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Since 1950 over 500; all bucks!

I'm a head-hunter.

Here's one of the latest:

[Linked Image]Kanbrute by Sharps Man, on Flickr

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

639 members (163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 1234, 160user, 59 invisible), 2,330 guests, and 1,223 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,619
Posts18,455,052
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.