Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
B
Originally Posted by Wally
There is a gentleman over on the accurateshooter.com forums who goes by "sparker". He tuned up a Redding #2 scale for me a few years ago, and made a big difference in how it performed. He is highly regarded on that forum, if you want to do a search on him. My personal experience with him was excellent. If anyone is thinking of staying with a beam balance scale, I would recommend a chat with him.

There's an active thread over on accurateshooter.com which "sparker" (Scott Parker) started. For those of you with the excellent old Lyman (Ohaus) M5, I found the OEM damping magnets in mine had declined over the decades, and the damping action was too slow. I did a lot of experimenting with tiny, powerful neodymium magnets as replacements, and came up with what I consider to be an excellent and inexpensive magnet replacement solution for the M5. I posted my solution in Parker's thread, you can view my post here:

http://forum.accurateshooter.com/threads/on-beam-scales-part-two.3906350/page-8#post-36833260

The entire thread (including Parker's OP of course) is well worth reading. He has some things to say about the ubiquitous RCBS 5-0-5 which you may not want to hear - they're why I bought my old M5 off Ebay some time ago. I plan to have Parker super-tune my M5 some day soon.

Brian

Last edited by brians356; 09/23/16.
GB1

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I have a couple of electronics that are OK, but I am just as fast on my 10-10 with a powder trickler, plus more accurate. About the only thing I don't like about the beam scales, is I have to shut the air vents in the room to keep air from blowing on it. With the air conditioning running it will show almost a full grain difference.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
B
B
Originally Posted by Allen917
I have a couple of electronics that are OK, but I am just as fast on my 10-10 with a powder trickler, plus more accurate. About the only thing I don't like about the beam scales, is I have to shut the air vents in the room to keep air from blowing on it. With the air conditioning running it will show almost a full grain difference.

Yep, air currents are very bad for balance beam scales. But also electrostatic buildup. In my dry high desert country, we get cool dry air masses the majority of the year, and lots of static indoors. After trying rubbing Bounce dryer sheets on everything, I finally discovered that taking my shoes off cured static problems. My room has carpet on a concrete floor. If I weigh charges in stocking feet, there's enough moisture from my feet in the socks to dissipate static. With shoes on, the static disrupts scale accuracy completely. To illustrate, I zero the scale, then poise a fingertip about 1/4 inch from the pan, and I can "levitate" it up or down, like a magnet, at will. It's no theory, I could post a video.

PS Parker says the 10-10, being a two-poised design, is a good scale, and accurizes well, if not as well as the M5. The 5-0-5 three-poise design has an inherent flaw in its middle poise weight's design.

Last edited by brians356; 09/23/16.
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I like my GemPro250 way better than my RCBS beam scale.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
To me it depends on the rifle and load. 90% of the time I use my Dillon electronic scale. When I load hunting loads for the 26" lilja barreled long range rifle I use my old balance beam. It might not make a real difference but I am more confident anyway.

IC B2

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

400 members (1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 160user, 1_deuce, 1lesfox, 22250rem, 35 invisible), 2,195 guests, and 1,023 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,493
Posts18,452,361
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.