Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
I'm a rifle guy, and have handloaded a BUNCH for various rifle rounds. I own handguns, but finally decided to expand my handgun collection a bit and get into handloading for some of them. I have a new Ruger SP 101 on the way (2.25" barrel), and was curious of some opinions of a good all-around bullet/load for it.

I have a .357 Mag Vaquero that I keep loaded with .357 ammo, so this snub-nosed revolver will get 38 Specials - standard velocity. For everyday carry, I plan on using a factory load of some type suitable for social work. But for practice and carrying out in the desert/woods, and I suppose for social work in those places if need be, what thoughts do you have on a good all-around load? JHP's seem like a good choice, but the semi-wadcutters and the hollow-point semi-wadcutters and that standard velocity sound interesting too. Thanks!

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
This what I'd probably do to start with:

1. Choose an EDC load first.

2. Choose a SWC or SWCHP or even JHP bullet of close to the same weight and load it to the same velocity so POI is close to the EDC load.

My personal preference is SWC's for general purpose wandering in the weeds and practice, but other options are viable.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I carry the Speer 146 gr 3/4 Jacketed Semi Watt-Cutter HP loaded with Unique in my Ruger SP-101.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
If you are going to carry 357's in it, go get a pair of Hogue grips. The stock grips whack my middle knuckle. The Hogue grips feel like they change the angle, gives you knuckle more room, and you have more control muzzle flip.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I have lately been impressed with a cast gas checked bullet the 358156, which casts to about 160grain, or the 170grain version. Both are basically keith's design of a semi wadcutter.
I pushed them to about 950fps, and about 1100fps in 357mag.
I was up in the bradshaws a couple months ago, and was busting river rock with that round. Pretty impressive to me.
I am sure if you don't cast you could find that bullet commercially made. I think it would go right through just about anything you would find in arizona.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I'm with Ron. I cast the same bullet. I load it over 3.5 to 4 grains of green dot. Accurate and fun to shoot. It'll do all you need, social or wilderness.

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My SP-101

[Linked Image]

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Snake River Marksman
I'm with Ron. I cast the same bullet. I load it over 3.5 to 4 grains of green dot. Accurate and fun to shoot. It'll do all you need, social or wilderness.

i should of added one other thing, can't edit the original post at this point.
the day i was shooting that river rock, a friend with me wondering up to where the rock was and picked up something, brought it back and asked me what it was.
It was a completely flattened gas check kind of like a dime, from on of the projectiles hitting that rock. It really thumped them.

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Thank you all for the replies. Many great-sounding options here. For now, I'm leaning toward a SWC for a standard load, then a JHP for every day carry. Although, the 146gr Speer sounds very interesting.

RoninPhx...that cast bullet sounds awesome. May give that a run in my Vaquero!

As a FYI, the SP101 on the way is the TALO Wiley Clap model. I'm open to buying new powder, but already have Trail Boss on the shelf from an earlier loading idea that never materialized. Wouldn't mind using that. Have some 2400 too, but I'm guessing would be best saved for the Vaquero.

Many thanks!

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I also have a 3 inch brl. SP101. It was mine but the wife shot it and now I don't get to use it much. I load everything from 110 gr. to 200 gr. hard cast for it.
Built like, (well) a Ruger.
Erich

At some point my hobbies became my life.
IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by bea175
My SP-101

[Linked Image]

NIce rig!

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by ErichTheRed
I also have a 3 inch brl. SP101. It was mine but the wife shot it and now I don't get to use it much. I load everything from 110 gr. to 200 gr. hard cast for it.
Built like, (well) a Ruger.
Erich

One thing cool about wheel guns - you can load about anything, and at the same time too. When I carry my Ruger Vaquero or Single Six out in the desert, the first two cylinders carry bird shot, either for snakes, or to finish off a bird not hit quite right. The other cylinders carry who knows what...

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by AZ Southpaw
Thank you all for the replies. Many great-sounding options here. For now, I'm leaning toward a SWC for a standard load, then a JHP for every day carry. Although, the 146gr Speer sounds very interesting.

RoninPhx...that cast bullet sounds awesome. May give that a run in my Vaquero!

As a FYI, the SP101 on the way is the TALO Wiley Clap model. I'm open to buying new powder, but already have Trail Boss on the shelf from an earlier loading idea that never materialized. Wouldn't mind using that. Have some 2400 too, but I'm guessing would be best saved for the Vaquero.

Many thanks!

..unfortunately Speer discontinued all of their 3/4 jacket bullets... The 146 grain .357 was one of them.

Closest thing I have to a SP101 is a 3" S&W 60-10 which has a 3" barrel and adjustable sights...wonderful gun for backpacking and fishing... Have not done any loading for it but have decided on the NOE 160. Can be cast HP or FP and should work in the other .357s I have also.

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/produc...50&osCsid=ae9njk382skgef1vrc1c4ccc93

Powder for a 2"...SR4756 was the greatest powder out there...was discontinued last year... I'm going to try some Unique and Power Pistol and see how it works in shorter barrels..

The 357156 is a great bullet...cast almost 20K of them when I was in my 20s for use in a Model 19... They are commercially available..

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Universal has worked better for me than just about anything else.
Clean, low flash, with a pleasant recoil impulse.
Bullets? As RJM said, the 358156, or a Gold Dot or XTP in either 125gr. or 158gr.
A very interesting possibility would be an LFN style 150-160gr. with the mold set up with hollow point and flat nose pins.

In all seriousness, you may have to juggle your wants to what load the gun shoots to point of aim.
Fixed sight guns are funny that way.

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
+1 on Universal. Over several years it has become my most used powder in 38 special, 44 special, and 45 Colt. And for the same reasons you list. I also use it in reduced 44 magnum loads. A great powder, IMO.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
All of them.

Bangflop! another skinning job due to .260 and proper shot placement.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
years ago when i was playing county popo, all i carried, all the time, was a smith model 19. I was messing up near williams this weekend with some handloads/cast in 41special, 180grain hp's, at about 1000fps or so. And got to thinking of that 19. I never felt undergunned with that at the time, and still don't really. except for crowd multliple target situations which is another story. But with the right loads as mentioned, i think it one on one would settle any hash in arizona one needed to settle. Reading Keith again, and the atvantages of a revolver, when i was shooting the 19 a lot, i could do a tactical reload and hit six targets each twice in about 7.5seconds. I think i need to get out and practice with it again.

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
years ago when i was playing county popo, all i carried, all the time, was a smith model 19. I was messing up near williams this weekend with some handloads/cast in 41special, 180grain hp's, at about 1000fps or so. And got to thinking of that 19. I never felt undergunned with that at the time, and still don't really. except for crowd multliple target situations which is another story. But with the right loads as mentioned, i think it one on one would settle any hash in arizona one needed to settle. Reading Keith again, and the atvantages of a revolver, when i was shooting the 19 a lot, i could do a tactical reload and hit six targets each twice in about 7.5seconds. I think i need to get out and practice with it again.

That's good info...and an impressive reload ability as well! Making a list of scenarios where I would need to call upon a firearm during my way of life, there was hardly a category where the sub-nosed .357 couldn't work, if not excel during the situation. Size and weight was a big factor as well. That multiple target situation mentioned is the exception, but who knows when that might happen. And if I KNEW that were going to happen, since I don't carry a badge, I would be looking to vacate the premises unless I was protecting someone besides myself.

I've talked to locals and Universal powder seems to be the popular choice. Can't wait to get started! Thanks!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (1eyedmule, 10gaugeman, 222Sako, 1minute, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 65 invisible), 2,890 guests, and 1,262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,706
Posts18,456,843
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.