Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T

BP-B2

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
TRH--thanks for posting such a well prepared and concise work.

Excellent!

Everyone should take the time to view this.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I'll need the Cliff Notes.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by toltecgriz
I'll need the Cliff Notes.

Me too....a forty minute video would eat up my band width for a week....

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
These ARE the cliff notes to the highlights of the entire history of slavery.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good post TRH

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The history of slavery is an easy look up. All points of view on both sides of the question are just a couple of keystrokes away.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Well I'm not going to view the vid.

The Old Testiment documents it several thousand years back. And it wasn't new then. (More recently for you Baptists with 6k timeline.... smile. )

Black and Arab slavers from the north and west coasts of Africa raided Ireland and England for white slaves, especially women, especially blondes and redheads, for centuries before the tide turned, so to speak.

And then the slave catchers of blacks was still primarily Arabs and other blacks, not infrequently from their own or related tribes , for sale to the slave traders, mostly but not always white.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
Good post TRH
Thanks. I hope it gets widely seen.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

That was riveting...thank you TRH.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
One particularly salient fact brought out was that while only 6% of American whites owned slaves, 28% of free American blacks owned slaves.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
One particularly salient fact brought out was that while only 6% of American whites owned slaves, 28% of free American blacks owned slaves.

More interested in why only whites (who suffered more as a group) are the only lot targeted for payment of reparations...it is also interesting that the blacks seem hell bent on becoming islamic...irony at its finest.

Stupidity at its basest.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

And every time I see some stupid white cow here done the burqa I have to resist the urge to point out the inherent stupidity...mainly because I don't want the dumb bitches back in the fold.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by JSTUART

More interested in why only whites (who suffered more as a group) are the only lot targeted for payment of reparations...it is also interesting that the blacks seem hell bent on becoming islamic...irony at its finest.

Stupidity at its basest.

Were I a betting man I would lay all I have that the 1% will be skimming the cream from the top of any reparations forced from the taxpayer.

Nothing really changes.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by las
Well I'm not going to view the vid.

The Old Testiment documents it several thousand years back. And it wasn't new then. (More recently for you Baptists with 6k timeline.... smile. )

Black and Arab slavers from the north and west coasts of Africa raided Ireland and England for white slaves, especially women, especially blondes and redheads, for centuries before the tide turned, so to speak.

And then the slave catchers of blacks was still primarily Arabs and other blacks, not infrequently from their own or related tribes , for sale to the slave traders, mostly but not always white.

Are you sure you didn't watch the video? wink

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
That's interesting about free blacks owning slaves.

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Amazon has a number of books on white slavery.
Including this one:
"Christian Slaves, Muslim Masters: White Slavery in the Mediterranean, the Barbary Coast and Italy, 1500–1800 "

Retired cat herder.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

The Neo-Confederates love to twist the numbers, but they never want to talk about the numbers of families that owned slaves in 1860.
Only about one in twenty Southerns own slaves, but about one in four belonged to families that owned slaves.
That is like comparing the number of people who don't own the house they live in to families that own their own house.

http://www.civilwarcauses.org/stat.htm
Selected Statistics on Slavery in the United States
(unless otherwise noted, all data is as of the 1860 census)

Total number of slaves in the Lower South : 2,312,352 (47% of total population).
Total number of slaves in the Upper South: 1,208758 (29% of total population).
Total number of slaves in the Border States: 432,586 (13% of total population).

Almost one-third of all Southern families owned slaves. In Mississippi and South Carolina it approached one half. The total number of slave owners was 385,000 (including, in Louisiana, some free Negroes). As for the number of slaves owned by each master, 88% held fewer than twenty, and nearly 50% held fewer than five. (A complete table on slave-owning percentages is given at the bottom of this page.)

For comparison's sake, let it be noted that in the 1950's, only 2% of American families owned corporation stocks equal in value to the 1860 value of a single slave. Thus, slave ownership was much more widespread in the South than corporate investment was in 1950's America.
On a typical plantation (more than 20 slaves) the capital value of the slaves was greater than the capital value of the land and implements.

Slavery was profitable, although a large part of the profit was in the increased value of the slaves themselves. With only 30% of the nation's (free) population, the South had 60% of the "wealthiest men." The 1860 per capita wealth in the South was $3,978; in the North it was $2,040.

Census data can be appealed to in order to determine the extent of slave ownership in each of the states that allowed it in 1860. The figures given here are the percentage of slave-owning families as a fraction of total free households in the state. The data was taken from a census archive site at the University of Virginia.

% of slave owning families In 1860
Mississippi: 49%
South Carolina: 46%
Georgia: 37%
Alabama: 35%
Florida: 34%
Louisiana: 29%
Texas: 28%
North Carolina: 28%
Virginia: 26%
Tennessee: 25%
Kentucky: 23%
Arkansas: 20%
Missouri: 13%
Maryland: 12%

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
723 members (16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 222Sako, 21, 12308300, 70 invisible), 2,752 guests, and 1,310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,621
Posts18,398,580
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.