Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
K
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
K
I am considering this scope for my 308 for use in the woods (most shots under 150 yards) and am wondering why it is in the first focal plane (ffp).

I have read a ton on the differences between ffp and second focal plane scopes (sfp). The main advantage for ffp seems to be the ability to hold for wind or elevation at all magnification ranges, as the distance between subtensions in the reticle remain the same on all powers. This of course assumes the scope has a reticle with subtensions on the vertical and horizontal axises.

The disadvantage with ffp is at lower power the reticle can appear to disappear with ffp and on higher power appear too thick. The disappearing reticle on low power appears to be the more common complaint, but people have countered these issues can be mitigated to some degree with a good reticle design.

Getting back to my question, the Schmidt and Bender Zenith in the 1.5-6x42 is a ffp scope, but all the illuminated reticles consist of various plex models. Since this type of reticle isn't meant to compensate for wind or elevation holds, and shots under 300 yards (which is the range this scope is likely designed for) usually do not require holds, why make this scope in the first focal plane? What advantage(s) do you get over the possible disadvantages of a too small reticle on lower magnification to justify a ffp? It would seem a sfp design would be more appropriate.

Anyone have some thoughts that would make this clearer to me?

Thanks much.

Last edited by kmcdonou; 08/15/16.
GB1

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
The reticle gets real big when you turn the magnification up so it's easy to see in low light. That's the main advantage of a FFP reticle.

The euro scopes have been mostly FFP for a long time. Most of them don't have a too small reticle on the lower magnifications, they're what would be considered normal to a guy used to U.S. SFP scopes at the lowest power. As you turn the power up they get bigger and easier to see in low light where a SFP scope will stay the same size.

Shooters today tend to think of Mil and MOA reticles when they think FFP. It's true that those types of reticles benefit from FFP because the hold offs remain the same as the power is increased. However, most of the euro hunting scopes are FFP not for that reason but rather because the big reticles are better for low light hunting. Europeans hunt more at night than us so their scopes typically have big objectives, excellent glass, and heavy reticles. Take that scope out at last light next to a SFP scope of the same power and turn them both to max power then look through them. You'll have a bit of an Ahhh! moment when you see how much easier the FFP reticle is to find.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I have one with an A8 reticle and wouldn't change a thing about it. There are 14 mils between the 1.3 mil wide posts. You are thinking of the reticle with a SFP mindset. When the power is turned down, you use the heavier section of the reticle for aiming. IME, half a moon is all you need to hunt all night long...no illumination required.

Here it is on 2x

[Linked Image]

Last edited by whitebread; 08/15/16.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Additionally, I think that years ago, FFP scopes tended to be more reliable and didn't suffer from any change of POI as the power was altered.

This is not such an issue with the better quality SFP scopes of today, but it was a definite concern back in the 1960's and 70's...

Last edited by Pete E; 08/15/16.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Why worry about it? Buy the S&B Exos which is a SFP scope of the same style as the 1.5-6X42.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

White bread,
You must be hanging upside down from your tree stand.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by cisco1

White bread,

Or maybe he's hunting in the Southern hemisphere.....

smile

K
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
The reticle gets real big when you turn the magnification up so it's easy to see in low light. That's the main advantage of a FFP reticle.

The euro scopes have been mostly FFP for a long time. Most of them don't have a too small reticle on the lower magnifications, they're what would be considered normal to a guy used to U.S. SFP scopes at the lowest power. As you turn the power up they get bigger and easier to see in low light where a SFP scope will stay the same size.

...most of the euro hunting scopes are FFP not for that reason but rather because the big reticles are better for low light hunting. Europeans hunt more at night than us so their scopes typically have big objectives, excellent glass, and heavy reticles. Take that scope out at last light next to a SFP scope of the same power and turn them both to max power then look through them. You'll have a bit of an Ahhh! moment when you see how much easier the FFP reticle is to find.

I did read an increase in reticle size is desirable when hunting in low light, but initially it didn't make sense to me. That is, in a dark forest, if I increase the magnification my FOV and exit pupil shrinks, which I think would make it harder to locate the game. However, I do realize the larger objective on this scope would allow more light to reach my eye on max power than I can possibly use. However, the FOV issue still holds. Wouldn't it be harder to pick up game if you increased the magnification? Granted 6x isn't that high, but....

Originally Posted by whitebread
I have one with an A8 reticle and wouldn't change a thing about it. There are 14 mils between the 1.3 mil wide posts. You are thinking of the reticle with a SFP mindset. When the power is turned down, you use the heavier section of the reticle for aiming. IME, half a moon is all you need to hunt all night long...no illumination required.

Here it is on 2x

[Linked Image]

I have to agree, the reticle is visible. It is a little fine, but if there was an illuminated center there would be no question as to its usability.

Originally Posted by BobinNH
Why worry about it? Buy the S&B Exos which is a SFP scope of the same style as the 1.5-6X42.

Actually, the Exos is a 1.5-8x24. I like the greater top end magnification, but would prefer a 32mm objective or higher.

Last edited by kmcdonou; 08/15/16.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
kmc,

I wouldn't sweat the finer reticle in that scope. The etched reticle in a chunk of glass that's without peer is a thing of beauty and clarity.
I'd get the Zenith without illumination in a heartbeat.

You might consider buying this one if it's still available (and you're open to saving a bunch of money smile ) :

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/11334517/Re:_FS_Schmidt_&_Bende#Post11334517

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

That's referred to as hunting "possum style" grin

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by kmcdonou

Actually, the Exos is a 1.5-8x24. I like the greater top end magnification, but would prefer a 32mm objective or higher.

With the quality of S&B optics a 24mm vs 32mm objective is not something I'd worry about. I bet the lights out time is the same and that lighted reticle will save your bacon anyway.

Last edited by BobinNH; 08/16/16.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

White bread,

I have no idea why - on my iPad it is oriented correctly, but on a computer, it isn't. Sorry about that.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by SKane

I'd get the Zenith without illumination in a heartbeat.

I also have two Zeniths with the FD9 illuminated reticle. I have never once used the illumination when hunting. Of course, I may the exception...it can't hurt to have it and not need it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Don't be a cheap [bleep] and buy the non Illuminated version. You want the illuminated version. That way when you sell it I can snatch up another one...I've only got 4 now. All 1.5-6x42 Zenith FD's. Because they suck.

Also, these are about the perfect solution to run behind a PVS-22...

Last edited by BachelorJack; 08/20/16.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
That Exos is a 1.5-8x24 looks like a sweet scope....but what class of rifle is it intended for? Something like a Blaser?

A lot of coin too...

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I got the Victory 1.5-42 with #60 in SFP, it is a good deer hunting scope here in the woods.

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
i have the S&B Stratos with illuminated 7 reticle in FFP, it is my only FFP scope and i love it. aside from the ranging implications the target remains the same size in the reticle at all magnifications

when i am feeling rich again i think i will get a Polar also

All Dogs Bite
All Horses Kick
All Boats Sink
And All Guns Are Loaded

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

654 members (1badf350, 16penny, 10Glocks, 160user, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 64 invisible), 2,468 guests, and 1,160 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,140
Posts18,464,856
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.