Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I have always been handy with the lee dippers and have only occasionaly used a mechanical powder measure. And was less than impressed when I did.

They are OK with some powders, it seems. Varget measures out pretty slick. H4831 not so much.

And I don't need precision to a gnats patootie. I generally throw within .2gr +/- of targeted weight with the dippers, and am ok with that for field shooting.

I loaded 550 cases a couple of nights ago, and was wishing for a better solution. Is there a powder measure that you would trust for coarse grained extruded powders?

"Chances Will Be Taken"

HR IC

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I don't know about the long stick version of H4831, but using my Redding BR-30 I've loaded lots of 3031 and 4064 for my 308s. Well below moa to 300 yards, no problem.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
One word - Harrell

Not only is it consistent and super accurate, it got readable and useable setting on the dial so that once you know what weight for a specific powder, you can dial back to it each time and it's perfect.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I use RCBS. I think that long powders are going to be problematic no matter what kind you use. I personally don't like digital, but that is just me. I weigh every charge, so I don't mind the long powder problems.

I have a NIB RCBS Quickchange powder measure for sale cheap if you decide to go the standard route.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Take a look at the Lee Perfect Powder Measure.

It gets no respect, because it's plastic and it only costs about $25. I ran some tests on it a few years ago, and with ball powder the standard deviation of the random error is around .04 grains. With 4831SC, it's around .1 grain. I didn't do any tests with the old long cut 4831.

It beat out the Hornady powder measure and the Lyman digital scale for repeatability. It's a surprisingly good little powder measure.

Be not weary in well doing.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've been using a Redding Match Grade since 1992 with no problems. I didn't clean it until a couple of years ago. Wiped out the drum with alcohol and it's good as new. It's always thrown ball powders accurately.

I agree with sbhooper on the long grain extruded powders. I throw them a little lower in weight and finish them with a trickler

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by denton

It gets no respect, because it's plastic and it only costs about $25. I ran some tests on it a few years ago, and with ball powder the standard deviation of the random error is around .04 grains. With 4831SC, it's around .1 grain. I didn't do any tests with the old long cut 4831.

It beat out the Hornady powder measure and the Lyman digital scale for repeatability. It's a surprisingly good little powder measure.

I can second this. I bought one of these for pistol cartridges so I didn't have to change out the spindle thing on my RCBS and its does better in my hands accuracy wise than the RCBS.

One thing with my lee is it doesn't like some of those flat disk powders. I will admit it does feel like plastic crap but it works.

In the end for rifle cartridges where I load in some volume (batches of 50-250 say). I use a ball powder, I get better uniformity just throwing charges.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I don't see them advertised, or can't find them, but the RCBS Uniflow QD system is pretty cool. I have around 6 pre-set charging inserts that I use, depending on the charge being thrown.

I have 12 gr. for my .22 Hornet and 90 gr. for my 26 Nosler, the rest inbetween. Quick and easy to swap them out.

And, they throw consistent charges. To me a lot of that is technique, how one handles the equipment.

DF

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by RyanTX
One word - Harrell

Not only is it consistent and super accurate, it got readable and useable setting on the dial so that once you know what weight for a specific powder, you can dial back to it each time and it's perfect.

I like mine.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
One word - Harrell

I occasionlly shoot with a father and son who use and love their Harrell measure. They also use Lee dippers for coarse extruded powders.

This only bothers me during extended loading sessions. And I'm always gonna weigh any max charge loads.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

IC B3

johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

The Lee perfect is one of those I tried some years ago. I was a little too fussy in those days, and may try it again. Remind me again why I sell stuff that i may someday want back???

"Chances Will Be Taken"

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by johnw
One word - Harrell

I occasionlly shoot with a father and son who use and love their Harrell measure. They also use Lee dippers for coarse extruded powders.

This only bothers me during extended loading sessions. And I'm always gonna weigh any max charge loads.

I use 4831 with my 280Rem and the charges are always right on the money. It's pricey, but this is one of those things that was worth it to me.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I'd get a RCBS electronic scale/measure combo and be done with it. I have a Redding powder measure and I'm happy with it. If buying a powder measure now I would go for the RCBS electronic measure.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Really happy with the JDS Quickmeasure

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Another vote for LEE, been using them over 30 years now.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

Another vote for the Lee, only measure on my bench, works so well I've never thought of "upgrading" to a less precise measure...although Lee is making a new version of this design made of metal now...

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by johnw
Is there a powder measure that you would trust for coarse grained extruded powders?

For this specific purpose the Quick Measure stands out head and shoulders above anything else on the market.

I'd say many people tend to suggest something that is superb in daily use must be ideal at the limit or corner case.

My most used press is a Harrell's on the bench next to the monitor as I type this. I load far more cartridges with a Harrell's measure than anything else. Sometimes an RCBS Little Dandy for production with handguns.

But for big cartridges with large charges of coarse grained extruded powders I use a CoAx and a Quick Measure.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
688 members (12308300, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 68 invisible), 2,779 guests, and 1,287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,632
Posts18,398,846
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.