Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
SargeMO Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Thank you all for your kind comments. I've now run 5 different lead bullet loads through the NV, swaged & cast, 452 and 454, 750-1000 fps. It has exhibited very good accuracy with all of them and virtually no leading. I seem to have won the used gun lottery with this one.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Like all the New Vaqueros I've seen so far, mine came with a bright stainless hammer and trigger; something I detest on a blue single action revolver. Blue steel replacements can be had for most large frame Ruger SA's but at some point, I am told, Ruger decided OEM replacements for the New Vaqueros & 50th Anniversary size guns would be of stainless steel.

Power Custom makes blue Colt and Bisley style hammers & triggers for the NV/50th revolvers. I've handled a few Ruger SA's with them added and they look great, add a 'half cock' option and they produce an excellent trigger pull. I may buy purchase a set at some point. Prices start around 150 bucks including reduced power springs, which I have no use for.

I've already worked the trigger on my New Vaquero using the factory springs and it suits me fine. The half cock option is cool but not something I'm dying to have on this gun. I researched heat coloring stainless steels and there are lots of web references and videos if you're interested further. All the colors I wanted could he achieved under 700 degrees, with an oil quench. I didn't figure 700 degrees would harm the parts so long as the engagement surfaces didn't get beyond straw color (about 400 degrees) and the oil quench would negate any brittleness.

So with a little knowledge and too little sense for inhibitions, I decided to give this a try. I used an ancient Prest-O-Lite air-acetylene torch for the job. It's a pretty well-established piece of equipment as this 1914 ad attests.

[Linked Image]

I removed the transfer bar plunger & spring from the hammer, degreased the hammer and trigger and started applying heat. When I got the colors I wanted, I quenched the part in motor oil for 10 seconds and went straight back at it, heating just until the color darkened and quenching again. This is the result of three heats and oil quenches. I'm happy with the colors and I don't anticipate any problems. In 300 or so rounds I'll tear it down and inspect the engagement surfaces.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
That coloring looks nice.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
That coloring looks nice.
+1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That turned out nice!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
when those first came out, i ran across one in a lgs. I made a mistake, and picked it up and it followed me home. I did replace the grips with the yellowish type favored in john wayne movies. I have never used pin guages on it, ruger wouldn't talk to me about the throats, but pearce did. The thing is as far as i can guess pretty tight. It's what got me on a 45kick, and while i have fired a bunch of stuff in it, mostly that scovill 270gr saa.
I did run across a bunch of 200gr round nose sooner or later i am gonna run in 45colt.
I do have a first year colt 44.40, and they do feel pretty close.
Just a good handling revolver. Pearce had a article in handloader a few years ago about them. They definitely will take more pressure than the old colt, but not up to the levels of a redhawk/blackhawk. I seem to remember without looking three different pressure levels and i want to say 22000psi. I wouldn't count on that figure without looking at the article. I have never really pushed it, figuring 280grains as cast at about 950fps works for just about everything.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Thanks guys.

Ron the New Vaqueros are supposedly good for Tier II loads. I find my life is simpler if I use a different bullet each power level I'm going to use.

I like the Hornady swaged RNFP over 7.1 of HP38 (about 825 fps) as a garden pest/small game plinking load.

The Lee 255RF over 8.5 of Universal (950 fps) will handle anything here including our recent migration of smallish black bears.

I don't cast but occasionally see 270 SAA bullets for sale so I'm going to try a top-end Tier II HS6 load that scoots it 1100 fps. Not many places I would be uncomfortable carrying that one. I shot a buck longways with a 255 SWC at that velocity some years back and watched the bullet kick up a hatfull of dead leaves, about 65 yards behind the deer. I have no doubt a 270 SAA at that speed will shoot through five feet of meat and bones.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
That coloring looks great, Sarge. Now, when you doing the frame. grin

Ought to ask you to finish the coloring on the hammer and trigger on my Old Vaquero.

[Linked Image]

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by local_dirt
That coloring looks great, Sarge. Now, when you doing the frame. grin

Ought to ask you to finish the coloring on the hammer and trigger on my Old Vaquero.

[Linked Image]

Believe me that frame & loading gate are in my crosshairs... just need to research removing & replacing the firing pin and spring first.

I've already had a couple of other people hit me up to do hammers & triggers for them. But I am flying by the seat of my pants here. One set might not color like another. I'm going to experiment with some different oils and see what works best.

I also don't know how durable the colors will be and absent a Rockwell Test, I don't know for certain how sear hardness was affected. The oil quench might have even surface hardened them a bit. I've got a hard Arkansas trigger stone and made a few passes over the sear & full cock notch to clear any scale off. I am for damn certain these parts are harder than they were before the heat treat.

Bottom line- if I ruin parts I was going to replace anyhow, you guys get to point and laugh but I'm not really out anything. I sure don't want to ruin anyone else's. Let me see how this goes and I'll PM you if it works out well.

Mighty fine looking Vaquero you have there.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by SargeMO
Thanks guys.

Ron the New Vaqueros are supposedly good for Tier II loads. I find my life is simpler if I use a different bullet each power level I'm going to use.

I like the Hornady swaged RNFP over 7.1 of HP38 (about 825 fps) as a garden pest/small game plinking load.

The Lee 255RF over 8.5 of Universal (950 fps) will handle anything here including our recent migration of smallish black bears.

I don't cast but occasionally see 270 SAA bullets for sale so I'm going to try a top-end Tier II HS6 load that scoots it 1100 fps. Not many places I would be uncomfortable carrying that one. I shot a buck longways with a 255 SWC at that velocity some years back and watched the bullet kick up a hatfull of dead leaves, about 65 yards behind the deer. I have no doubt a 270 SAA at that speed will shoot through five feet of meat and bones.

i had a grandson out yesterday and his first experience with 41magnum. did pretty well actually everything considered. Told him next time he was going to be introduced to 45colt. In many respects just as capable or more capable, with less blast. I have several of the old vaquero's that will take the real high pressure stuff. Just don't need it most of the time.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
IC B3

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Glad your enjoying the Ruger. I don't post much (if ever) but this made me want to share.

I bought the case hardened version of your gun when they first came out. Fit and finish was as you described, i.e., leagues better than what they were making before. Promptly went out to check sight alignment and shot 10 out of 12 clay pigeons at 55 yards with 255's and 6 grains of Red Dot. Astounding considering the shooter. Had the trigger polished up and it is absolutely perfect.

This got me so excited about single actions I could afford that when they came out with the flat tops in .44 Special I ordered one sight unseen. Fit and finish was....meh. And get this; the adjustable sights didn't have enough adjustment to get the shots in the black at 25 yards, both in windage and elevation.

There's a lesson here somewhere. I'll probably have to relearn it from time to time! smile

Have fun with it. It looks like a keeper.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Sarge, no critique here. Always enjoy your MacGyver'ings.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
744 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 10Glocks, 86 invisible), 2,767 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,702
Posts18,400,027
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.