Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I have read on this forum and others who say they get better accuracy with 150gr 270 bullets compared to 130 gr. My question, in 30-06 do you believe one bullet weight in general achieves best accuracy?

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I've messed with a lot of 165's, 180's and 200's and they all shoot great in my rifles. It would be hard to pick which one is the most accurate, as I fine tune every one to my rifles. Tough question. However, I'm sure someone here may think they have a good answer...

As for your first analogy with the 270, I have better luck with the 130's... My first pick for best all around bullet is the 150 gr. nosler partition, but I've found the 130 gr. partition to whip it's azz in the accuracy department.. Of course, YMMV...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Thanks BSA. My personal experience with my 270's mimics other in that 150 gr seems more accurate for me. Having said that, I primarily shoot 130's because the nostalgia is just there I guess

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
150's have been among the most accurate 30 caliber bullets for me in the 30/06, but I haven't used them for years for hunting. I think the 165 is a better mousetrap.

I use 130's in the 270.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
BChunter, Here's a rundown of my limited experience with the 30-06:

1. 150's: Haven't used them in years....

2. 165's: Used a truck load of them.
a. Mainly Hornady BTSP interlocks= Excellent accuracy and exceptional on game.
b. Sierra game king. Both the HP and spitzers. Excellent accuracy and deadly on game. However, not as sturdy as the interlock.
c. Nosler bt's: Very accurate
d. Nosler solid base: Extremely accurate, but discontinued. Caught some in game. Did not penetrate. Still one of my favorite bullets though.

3. 180's:
a. Nosler partition: Excellent accuracy. Pass through penetration on deer sized critters. Caught one in a bull elk.
b. Hornady btsp interlock: Excellent accuracy.
c. Nosler ballistic tip: Excellent accuracy.
d. Winchester power point: Excellent accuracy. Pass thru's on deer sized critters. Surprisingly good expansion and weight retention. One of my favorite less expensive bullets.
e. Hornady national match: Discontinued. Excellent accuracy, on par with hornady interlocks....

4. 190's:
a. Hornady btsp interlock: Finicky in my experience.

5. 200's:
a. Nosler partition: Excellent accuracy. Penetrating sob..
b. Nosler accubond: Finicky...

6. 220'S:
a. Remington factory ammo. Excellent accuracy. Devastating on jack rabbits and coyotes. Work well on deer too. Will blow a 55 gallon drum, full of water, 6 feet in the air... laugh whistle

7. 250gr. Barnes original: Still deciding how to load it up and what to use it on... blush

I know I'm leaving some out. However, I'm thinking if I really had to pick the most accurate (least finicky) deer hunting bullet, it would probably be the 165gr. sierra gameking. If just hunting moose and elk, it would be the 180 and 200gr. partition. I'd paper punch, all day long, with all the bullets listed above, but would have a strong preference toward the 165gr. weight.. JMHO...

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
BCHunter666,

Unlike the .270, where I have noticed a slight but repeated accuracy trend in favor of 150-grain bullets over the decades, there hasn't been any such clear-cut accuracy advantage in bullet weights in the .30-06.

Am down to one .30-06 now, a NULA Model 24, which has been my most-used big game rifle over the last 20 years. Many of the loads I've worked up from 130 Tipped TSX's to 200-grain Nosler Partitions have shot well under an inch, and not just in 3-shot groups but 4-5 shot groups. Probably its most accurate hunting load has been with 185-grain Berger VLD's, but I suspect that has more to do with the bullets than the weight.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
bsa - good post - nice to hear of your experience. The only thing that I would argue with is calling the Power Point a less-expensive bullet. They used to be, but anymore they seem priced above "their station in life" compared to other bullets.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 5sdad
bsa - good post - nice to hear of your experience. The only thing that I would argue with is calling the Power Point a less-expensive bullet. They used to be, but anymore they seem priced above "their station in life" compared to other bullets.

Thanks 5sdad. I bought 750 of them a while back for a song, so I haven't had to buy any for years. I still have a couple hundred. Maybe I shouldn't be burning them up on targets anymore.. blush. Like I said though, they have proven to be a damn good bullet and at the time I bought them, they were dirt cheap. That's life I guess...

BSA MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I remember buying them not all that many years ago at Cabela's for $10.50 a hundred. One day they had gone up to $13.50, but I found one box that was still listed at $10.50. The clerk who rang me up noticed and mentioned that I got a deal on that. Lately they are listed in the $30 range. I have always had good accuracy with them. Best, John

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
.308 150PP - $26, 180PP - $28 at Powder Valley.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
IC B3

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I like 150 grain ballistic tips.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I've used Hornady Interlocks - my favorite cup and core bullet.
Remington Core Lochts - great bullet but generally not as accurate as Interlock
Sierra - excellent accuracy great for target shooting
Speer - generally good accuracy
Original heavy Barnes bullets.
Nosler Partitions - best bullets in my pinion but more expensive than Hornady bullets
Cast bullets. Great for my old Springfield.
I've also used various hollow points etc. but little practical usage other than targets.

Of all the things I've shot, the Hornady's could have at least as well as other bullets I've used. The are accurate, good penetration and good expansion.

For things dangerous I'd choose Partitions and actually am using partitions on elk this year because I'm going with lighter bullets than I normally use on such game - 150 grain. I am most comfortable with 180's and Hornady's.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Thinking about hunting, I guess I use 165s the most.

I am MAGA.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Ive had the most consistent accuracy results with 165's, particularly the 165 flat base interlock.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
I use mostly 150 Horn. SPBT, and Sierra 165 gr. HPBT.. They are fine for the game I use the 06 to hunt..

Molon Labe
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Accuracy for a hunting bullet is wasted on a piece of paper. Even if your group measured 1/2 inch or even less, that is not enough accuracy to put you in the top 10,000 shooters in bench rest competition. An 1 1/2 inch gun is more than enough to reliably kill big game at any realistic hunting distance.

Why worry about a group, just get a good performance bullet and put the center of your group in the crosshairs and go kill something.

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Prwlr
.308 150PP - $26, 180PP - $28 at Powder Valley.

IMO those are very decent prices

I like and have used P Ps with good success but....

I prefer Hornady ILs. The PPs are not as sleek as the H Ils and the Hornady performance has never disappointed me.

Overall my fav 06 bullet is 165 BTSP. (Deer hunting)

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 09/25/16.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by HitnRun
Accuracy for a hunting bullet is wasted on a piece of paper. Even if your group measured 1/2 inch or even less, that is not enough accuracy to put you in the top 10,000 shooters in bench rest competition. An 1 1/2 inch gun is more than enough to reliably kill big game at any realistic hunting distance.

Why worry about a group, just get a good performance bullet and put the center of your group in the crosshairs and go kill something.

I don't think anyone here suggested using a "hunting" bullet for benchrest competition. I also highly doubt anyone here is going to use one of those fugly rifles that weigh 17 pounds ("light gun") or an unlimited weight "heavy gun", both of which are placed in a machine rest and fired with very little effort from the competitor. Most of these competitors shoot "free recoil", which means they barely touch the damn rifle. The rifles "aim" is also adjusted with the rest. As you know, hunting is a whole other ballgame. Or should I say I hope you know. Give me a 1/2-1 moa. rifle and I'm happy, as it helps in the whole scheme of things. Also, not to be the bearer of bad news, but, a "realistic hunting distance" for you, may not be the same for someone else... wink. This is where you need every 1/2" of accuracy you can get. Although the OP is vague, I think you may be reading into this more than what is necessary. He's just asking for input on whether a certain bullet weight is more accurate than another.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My tang safety M77 .30-06 is pretty picky. It has a general preference for 150s and a regrettable dislike for 150 - 180 Partitions. It is my elk rifle, so I've gravitated to monos for penetration's sake. I'm using the Hornady Superformance 150 GMX load. I doubt I can handload anything faster or more accurate.

Expat

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by HitnRun

I don't think anyone here suggested using a "hunting" bullet for benchrest competition. I also highly doubt anyone here is going to use one of those fugly rifles that weigh 17 pounds ("light gun") or an unlimited weight "heavy gun", both of which are placed in a machine rest and fired with very little effort from the competitor. Most of these competitors shoot "free recoil", which means they barely touch the damn rifle. The rifles "aim" is also adjusted with the rest. As you know, hunting is a whole other ballgame. Or should I say I hope you know. Give me a 1/2-1 moa. rifle and I'm happy, as it helps in the whole scheme of things. Also, not to be the bearer of bad news, but, a "realistic hunting distance" for you, may not be the same for someone else... wink. This is where you need every 1/2" of accuracy you can get. Although the OP is vague, I think you may be reading into this more than what is necessary. He's just asking for input on whether a certain bullet weight is more accurate than another.

What you know about rifles or shooting you got from a book or heard someone else say. I doubt your experience would fill a matchbook. If you want to continue with your never ending "buddy" stories, go ahead, but leave reality to someone else.

When you accomplish something more than packing a 338 elk hunting and shoot a total of 2 elk in your life and give advice to people about elk hunting, you may want to consider a column in a kid's journal. Until then, keep watching and wondering just what goes on in the real outdoors.

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

637 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1973cb450, 1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 72 invisible), 3,004 guests, and 1,194 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,258
Posts18,467,084
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.