Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I have read on this forum and others who say they get better accuracy with 150gr 270 bullets compared to 130 gr. My question, in 30-06 do you believe one bullet weight in general achieves best accuracy?

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I've messed with a lot of 165's, 180's and 200's and they all shoot great in my rifles. It would be hard to pick which one is the most accurate, as I fine tune every one to my rifles. Tough question. However, I'm sure someone here may think they have a good answer...

As for your first analogy with the 270, I have better luck with the 130's... My first pick for best all around bullet is the 150 gr. nosler partition, but I've found the 130 gr. partition to whip it's azz in the accuracy department.. Of course, YMMV...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Thanks BSA. My personal experience with my 270's mimics other in that 150 gr seems more accurate for me. Having said that, I primarily shoot 130's because the nostalgia is just there I guess

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
150's have been among the most accurate 30 caliber bullets for me in the 30/06, but I haven't used them for years for hunting. I think the 165 is a better mousetrap.

I use 130's in the 270.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
BChunter, Here's a rundown of my limited experience with the 30-06:

1. 150's: Haven't used them in years....

2. 165's: Used a truck load of them.
a. Mainly Hornady BTSP interlocks= Excellent accuracy and exceptional on game.
b. Sierra game king. Both the HP and spitzers. Excellent accuracy and deadly on game. However, not as sturdy as the interlock.
c. Nosler bt's: Very accurate
d. Nosler solid base: Extremely accurate, but discontinued. Caught some in game. Did not penetrate. Still one of my favorite bullets though.

3. 180's:
a. Nosler partition: Excellent accuracy. Pass through penetration on deer sized critters. Caught one in a bull elk.
b. Hornady btsp interlock: Excellent accuracy.
c. Nosler ballistic tip: Excellent accuracy.
d. Winchester power point: Excellent accuracy. Pass thru's on deer sized critters. Surprisingly good expansion and weight retention. One of my favorite less expensive bullets.
e. Hornady national match: Discontinued. Excellent accuracy, on par with hornady interlocks....

4. 190's:
a. Hornady btsp interlock: Finicky in my experience.

5. 200's:
a. Nosler partition: Excellent accuracy. Penetrating sob..
b. Nosler accubond: Finicky...

6. 220'S:
a. Remington factory ammo. Excellent accuracy. Devastating on jack rabbits and coyotes. Work well on deer too. Will blow a 55 gallon drum, full of water, 6 feet in the air... laugh whistle

7. 250gr. Barnes original: Still deciding how to load it up and what to use it on... blush

I know I'm leaving some out. However, I'm thinking if I really had to pick the most accurate (least finicky) deer hunting bullet, it would probably be the 165gr. sierra gameking. If just hunting moose and elk, it would be the 180 and 200gr. partition. I'd paper punch, all day long, with all the bullets listed above, but would have a strong preference toward the 165gr. weight.. JMHO...

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
BCHunter666,

Unlike the .270, where I have noticed a slight but repeated accuracy trend in favor of 150-grain bullets over the decades, there hasn't been any such clear-cut accuracy advantage in bullet weights in the .30-06.

Am down to one .30-06 now, a NULA Model 24, which has been my most-used big game rifle over the last 20 years. Many of the loads I've worked up from 130 Tipped TSX's to 200-grain Nosler Partitions have shot well under an inch, and not just in 3-shot groups but 4-5 shot groups. Probably its most accurate hunting load has been with 185-grain Berger VLD's, but I suspect that has more to do with the bullets than the weight.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
bsa - good post - nice to hear of your experience. The only thing that I would argue with is calling the Power Point a less-expensive bullet. They used to be, but anymore they seem priced above "their station in life" compared to other bullets.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 5sdad
bsa - good post - nice to hear of your experience. The only thing that I would argue with is calling the Power Point a less-expensive bullet. They used to be, but anymore they seem priced above "their station in life" compared to other bullets.

Thanks 5sdad. I bought 750 of them a while back for a song, so I haven't had to buy any for years. I still have a couple hundred. Maybe I shouldn't be burning them up on targets anymore.. blush. Like I said though, they have proven to be a damn good bullet and at the time I bought them, they were dirt cheap. That's life I guess...

BSA MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I remember buying them not all that many years ago at Cabela's for $10.50 a hundred. One day they had gone up to $13.50, but I found one box that was still listed at $10.50. The clerk who rang me up noticed and mentioned that I got a deal on that. Lately they are listed in the $30 range. I have always had good accuracy with them. Best, John

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
.308 150PP - $26, 180PP - $28 at Powder Valley.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
IC B3

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I like 150 grain ballistic tips.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've used Hornady Interlocks - my favorite cup and core bullet.
Remington Core Lochts - great bullet but generally not as accurate as Interlock
Sierra - excellent accuracy great for target shooting
Speer - generally good accuracy
Original heavy Barnes bullets.
Nosler Partitions - best bullets in my pinion but more expensive than Hornady bullets
Cast bullets. Great for my old Springfield.
I've also used various hollow points etc. but little practical usage other than targets.

Of all the things I've shot, the Hornady's could have at least as well as other bullets I've used. The are accurate, good penetration and good expansion.

For things dangerous I'd choose Partitions and actually am using partitions on elk this year because I'm going with lighter bullets than I normally use on such game - 150 grain. I am most comfortable with 180's and Hornady's.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Thinking about hunting, I guess I use 165s the most.

I am MAGA.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Ive had the most consistent accuracy results with 165's, particularly the 165 flat base interlock.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I use mostly 150 Horn. SPBT, and Sierra 165 gr. HPBT.. They are fine for the game I use the 06 to hunt..

Molon Labe
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Accuracy for a hunting bullet is wasted on a piece of paper. Even if your group measured 1/2 inch or even less, that is not enough accuracy to put you in the top 10,000 shooters in bench rest competition. An 1 1/2 inch gun is more than enough to reliably kill big game at any realistic hunting distance.

Why worry about a group, just get a good performance bullet and put the center of your group in the crosshairs and go kill something.

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Prwlr
.308 150PP - $26, 180PP - $28 at Powder Valley.

IMO those are very decent prices

I like and have used P Ps with good success but....

I prefer Hornady ILs. The PPs are not as sleek as the H Ils and the Hornady performance has never disappointed me.

Overall my fav 06 bullet is 165 BTSP. (Deer hunting)

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 09/25/16.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by HitnRun
Accuracy for a hunting bullet is wasted on a piece of paper. Even if your group measured 1/2 inch or even less, that is not enough accuracy to put you in the top 10,000 shooters in bench rest competition. An 1 1/2 inch gun is more than enough to reliably kill big game at any realistic hunting distance.

Why worry about a group, just get a good performance bullet and put the center of your group in the crosshairs and go kill something.

I don't think anyone here suggested using a "hunting" bullet for benchrest competition. I also highly doubt anyone here is going to use one of those fugly rifles that weigh 17 pounds ("light gun") or an unlimited weight "heavy gun", both of which are placed in a machine rest and fired with very little effort from the competitor. Most of these competitors shoot "free recoil", which means they barely touch the damn rifle. The rifles "aim" is also adjusted with the rest. As you know, hunting is a whole other ballgame. Or should I say I hope you know. Give me a 1/2-1 moa. rifle and I'm happy, as it helps in the whole scheme of things. Also, not to be the bearer of bad news, but, a "realistic hunting distance" for you, may not be the same for someone else... wink. This is where you need every 1/2" of accuracy you can get. Although the OP is vague, I think you may be reading into this more than what is necessary. He's just asking for input on whether a certain bullet weight is more accurate than another.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My tang safety M77 .30-06 is pretty picky. It has a general preference for 150s and a regrettable dislike for 150 - 180 Partitions. It is my elk rifle, so I've gravitated to monos for penetration's sake. I'm using the Hornady Superformance 150 GMX load. I doubt I can handload anything faster or more accurate.

Expat

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

I don't think anyone here suggested using a "hunting" bullet for benchrest competition. I also highly doubt anyone here is going to use one of those fugly rifles that weigh 17 pounds ("light gun") or an unlimited weight "heavy gun", both of which are placed in a machine rest and fired with very little effort from the competitor. Most of these competitors shoot "free recoil", which means they barely touch the damn rifle. The rifles "aim" is also adjusted with the rest. As you know, hunting is a whole other ballgame. Or should I say I hope you know. Give me a 1/2-1 moa. rifle and I'm happy, as it helps in the whole scheme of things. Also, not to be the bearer of bad news, but, a "realistic hunting distance" for you, may not be the same for someone else... wink. This is where you need every 1/2" of accuracy you can get. Although the OP is vague, I think you may be reading into this more than what is necessary. He's just asking for input on whether a certain bullet weight is more accurate than another.

What you know about rifles or shooting you got from a book or heard someone else say. I doubt your experience would fill a matchbook. If you want to continue with your never ending "buddy" stories, go ahead, but leave reality to someone else.

When you accomplish something more than packing a 338 elk hunting and shoot a total of 2 elk in your life and give advice to people about elk hunting, you may want to consider a column in a kid's journal. Until then, keep watching and wondering just what goes on in the real outdoors.

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
why the hell wouldn't somebody try to eek the most amount of accuracy from a rifle as possible?

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

What you know about rifles or shooting you got from a book or heard someone else say. I doubt your experience would fill a matchbook. If you want to continue with your never ending "buddy" stories, go ahead, but leave reality to someone else.

When you accomplish something more than packing a 338 elk hunting and shoot a total of 2 elk in your life and give advice to people about elk hunting, you may want to consider a column in a kid's journal. Until then, keep watching and wondering just what goes on in the real outdoors.

So please tell us master.. 24 hourcampfire has been waiting for the messiah... I can wait to see your resume bwana

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Calvin
why the hell wouldn't somebody try to eek the most amount of accuracy from a rifle as possible?

Hitnrun will be along to tell us why it's not that important.. he's the real deal, on the 7th day god created hitnrun..

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

I'm sure you spent an extra decade in school just so you would have more than enough education to prepare you for your career.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I'm sure you spent an extra decade in school just so you would have more than enough education to prepare you for your career.

2 1/2 yr hiatus and you are back on the scene here at 24 hourcampfire...

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Well aren't you a real detective. I know your gallery is loaded with some real admirers. Someday I hope to be as smart and popular as you. Thanks for noticing.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well aren't you a real detective. I know your gallery is loaded with some real admirers. Someday I hope to be as smart and popular as you. Thanks for noticing.

Thanks... you are the coolest sob on these forums..

Last edited by 79S; 09/25/16.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

Haha, really?

Anyway, looks like another member decided to use another handle to act as retarded as possible for entertainment purposes.

Have fun.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Don't know you from Adam but in the last 4-5 posts, you sure do come across as a jackass. My money is on bsa.......

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I've always had great luck with 165-168 gr bullets and H or IMR 4350.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 28lx

I've always had great luck with 165-168 gr bullets and H or IMR 4350.

This is a VERY popular way to go.

165 SGK over 57.5 gr. IMR 4350 is what I used on my last 2 30-06 kills........

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

58 gr H-4350 165 Sierra HPGK is what I've used for my couple kills.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My go-to load to see if a 30-06 is going to be accurate has been a 180 Sierra flat base over 56-58 gr IMR/H 4350 fired with a Fed 210. If it won't shoot that combo, look for another 30-06.

That said, I've had great luck with 180s using H4350, Re 17, and more recently Re 16. I have shot mostly 180s in various 06s over the years so can't comment much on the accuracy thing between 150, 165, and 180 although I've not had issues getting them to shoot any of them. I tend to lean 180 in the 06, 150/165 in 308.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Back before H4350 became so popular, the "known recipe" or go to load was always 57 gr. IMR 4350 with a 165. Some go 58 gr. or with a 168, but this combo is known to shoot well in vast majority of 30-06s in the world.

As for 180s, I just can no longer see the need. Due to advances in bullet technology, todays 165s will do anything the older 180s would do, if need be. Even though I have been running traditional style bullets lately, I could always step up to a TSX for larger critters. But unless one decided to go after a large bear with a 30-06, I can't see the need for a 180. Even then I would not bet against a 168 TSX doing the job. But to each his own.

I do run 150 grain bullets in one of my 308s. Mosltly Accubonds, now. The 150s shoot so well I never tried to go heavier. It has always been strictly a deer rifle, but I would not hesitate to use it for black bear or elk should the mood arise.....

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My tang safety 77 is a testament to consistently sub par performance. It has shot everything from 110 to 200 all powder types, loads, primers, seating depths into a softball sized group. Every other 30-06 I've loaded for preferred a single bullet weight, grandsons Savage likes 150s, my RAR 180s, daughters boyfriend TC 165s, those are the 4 I'm loading for now. In my limited experience with a half dozen powders and 7 or 8 bullets there is usually a favorite weight and bullet for each rifle.

I'd sell the old Ruger but it was Dad's so am thinking of a re-barrel to something else one of these days.

For hunting performance 180's of almost all types seem ok to me, 150s I'd go mono metal and 165's game dependent. Ballistics on the 165 or 168 seem to make the most sense if everything shoots well. I'd pick the sweet spot on accuracy almost every time like most have indicated.

E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Every rifle has its preferences.

My 06 has done well with anything. My go-to load is 168 gr NBTs & Ramshot Hunter for approx 2850, but I've killled stuff w/ 150s & RL15, 180s & H414, and have some 130 gr TSXs loaded w/ RL15 waiting to be added to that list.

Seems to me the standby for >150s in 06 is a 4350 of some iteration. I've had great luck accuracy-wise w/ IMR & 150s, 165s, 168s, and 180s but speed wasn't there like Hunter.

If your rifle can be as versatile as the 30-06 cartridge is it sure makes a challenge inventing a need for another rifle.

But I don't care about NEEDS smile !

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bwinters
My go-to load to see if a 30-06 is going to be accurate has been a 180 Sierra flat base over 56-58 gr IMR/H 4350 fired with a Fed 210. If it won't shoot that combo, look for another 30-06.

That said, I've had great luck with 180s using H4350, Re 17, and more recently Re 16. I have shot mostly 180s in various 06s over the years so can't comment much on the accuracy thing between 150, 165, and 180 although I've not had issues getting them to shoot any of them. I tend to lean 180 in the 06, 150/165 in 308.

Agreed, use that bit more case capacity to push more weight.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
In my rifles I think I have seen more differences in accuracy between bullets of the same weight but different brands. In my two 30-06's One seems to shoot everything well enough, the other absolutely hated any monometal on the planet. My preference is for 180's in the 30-06.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
There's an ass for every seat.

The .30-06 is as near a "perfect" cartridge as we will ever get. 110 years of popularity lends credence to that statement.

Pick a bullet, work up an accurate load, and go use it. With bullet technology being what it is today, the old distinctions of bullet weight determining end use are blurred. A generation ago, 130's weren't good for much else than varmint shooting. Now, a 130 grain TTSX makes for a dandy big game bullet for example.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I don't know if one bullet wt. gives the best accuracy but a combination of 150's with 46 (for the Garand) up to 52 gr of 4064 has given me good to excellent accuracy in every 30-06 I've owned.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I don't know why this ruffled so many feathers. If I look at it one statement at a time...

Accuracy for a hunting bullet is wasted on a piece of paper.

True statement. Why anyone would spend an inordinate amount of time shooting a hunting rifle from a bench is beyond me.

Even if your group measured 1/2 inch or even less, that is not enough accuracy to put you in the top 10,000 shooters in bench rest competition.

True statement. I also agree with BSA that a comparison of bench rest competition and hunting bullets isn't apples to apples and really can't be made.

An 1 1/2 inch gun is more than enough to reliably kill big game at any realistic hunting distance.

True statement. Let's compare a 1.5 MOA gun and a 1 MOA gun, both groups centered on the aim point. Every 100 yards there's roughly 0.25 inches point of impact difference between a 1.5 MOA gun and a 1 MOA gun. That means at 200 yards...half inch difference. 300 yards...3/4 inch difference. 400 yards...inch difference, and wind is a MUCH bigger factor beyond 300.

There's some point of whether you have a 1/2 inch all day long gun or a MOA gun...or whether your gun is really a 1.5 MOA gun. I think 1/2 inch guns are mostly 1.5 MOA guns carried by guys that shoot 3 shot groups. And you can type until you are blue in the face about your 1/2 inch gun, and I'll believe it when you post a 20 shot group (or two 10-shot groups) that are half an inch. Just go look at the 24HC Black Rifle Challenge results! That's some good [bleep] right there. And damn, Scenarshooter has both some ability and a fantastic rifle. BSA has some fine groups all on one sheet of paper, but I think with a non-black rifle. Not that it matters, I've seen black rifles that will outshoot bolt guns, and vice versa.

At 400 yards a 1.5 MOA gun is, what, 3 inches off point of impact (assuming no adjustment for wind, true point of impact, etc.). Hell, my elk rifle is 4 inches off point of aim at 175 yards if sighted in at 300 yards just due to bullet trajectory. Yes, spinning turrets could reduce this. But then you have to [bleep] with turrets.

True, some hunters take game at longer distances. But I bet they think a lot more about the wind while they are shooting than thinking about a quarter MOA per hundred yard difference.

True statement.

Arguing on the internet is for ninnies, especially because the root cause of most of the arguments is poor reading comprehension.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by specneeds
My tang safety 77 is a testament to consistently sub par performance. It has shot everything from 110 to 200 all powder types, loads, primers, seating depths into a softball sized group. Every other 30-06 I've loaded for preferred a single bullet weight, grandsons Savage likes 150s, my RAR 180s, daughters boyfriend TC 165s, those are the 4 I'm loading for now. In my limited experience with a half dozen powders and 7 or 8 bullets there is usually a favorite weight and bullet for each rifle.

Spec - I was hoping M D would chime in or others well versed in Tang 77s.

I don't know what you've tried so... here are a couple of suggestions.

A. The funky front angled action screw can be finicky as to how it affects accuracy.

B. I'd also check the bedding around the action. & along the barrel.

C. It's well known that Ruger had a period of barrels that were SUB standard. I don't recall what yrs or the maker but that's a possibility.

I'd check these things out before REbarreling.

Good Luck

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Ruger will rebarrel your 77 at a very reasonable price. That is the way to go.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by joelkdouglas
I don't know why this ruffled so many feathers. If I look at it one statement at a time...

Accuracy for a hunting bullet is wasted on a piece of paper.

True statement. Why anyone would spend an inordinate amount of time shooting a hunting rifle from a bench is beyond me.

Even if your group measured 1/2 inch or even less, that is not enough accuracy to put you in the top 10,000 shooters in bench rest competition.

True statement. I also agree with BSA that a comparison of bench rest competition and hunting bullets isn't apples to apples and really can't be made.

An 1 1/2 inch gun is more than enough to reliably kill big game at any realistic hunting distance.

True statement. Let's compare a 1.5 MOA gun and a 1 MOA gun, both groups centered on the aim point. Every 100 yards there's roughly 0.25 inches point of impact difference between a 1.5 MOA gun and a 1 MOA gun. That means at 200 yards...half inch difference. 300 yards...3/4 inch difference. 400 yards...inch difference, and wind is a MUCH bigger factor beyond 300.

There's some point of whether you have a 1/2 inch all day long gun or a MOA gun...or whether your gun is really a 1.5 MOA gun. I think 1/2 inch guns are mostly 1.5 MOA guns carried by guys that shoot 3 shot groups. And you can type until you are blue in the face about your 1/2 inch gun, and I'll believe it when you post a 20 shot group (or two 10-shot groups) that are half an inch. Just go look at the 24HC Black Rifle Challenge results! That's some good [bleep] right there. And damn, Scenarshooter has both some ability and a fantastic rifle. BSA has some fine groups all on one sheet of paper, but I think with a non-black rifle. Not that it matters, I've seen black rifles that will outshoot bolt guns, and vice versa.

At 400 yards a 1.5 MOA gun is, what, 3 inches off point of impact (assuming no adjustment for wind, true point of impact, etc.). Hell, my elk rifle is 4 inches off point of aim at 175 yards if sighted in at 300 yards just due to bullet trajectory. Yes, spinning turrets could reduce this. But then you have to [bleep] with turrets.

True, some hunters take game at longer distances. But I bet they think a lot more about the wind while they are shooting than thinking about a quarter MOA per hundred yard difference.

True statement.

Arguing on the internet is for ninnies, especially because the root cause of most of the arguments is poor reading comprehension.

Amen

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Will blow a 55 gallon drum, full of water, 6 feet in the air... laugh whistle
Sounds like a lot of fun, at least something I could enjoy winning a bet with.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You've got some nerve spewing all that anti-loony logic, and all in one post too!

I hunted for years with factory ammo that could be counted on to deliver 1 1/2-2" three-shot groups and it was never a factor in how well I did. Since I began hunting exclusively with handloads, I haven't had to settle for that, but could, despite no doubt a nagging sense of inadequacy. I'd rather hunt with a 2" rifle with good bullets than a tack-driver pushing pointy marshmallows.

I just scored a couple hundred Partition overruns that are destined for my '06 and they'll do just fine, though with the 2.5x scope I'll probably never really know just exactly how well they shoot.

This is, of course, my personal take on the subject so feel free to obsess over accuracy or anything else you care to. It's all good.

What fresh Hell is this?
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Depends on the rifle.

I have a 760 30-06 that will put 130 grain TTSXs into an inch every time with Varget loads of 51.5-53.5 grains once the seating depth is right. That's consistent with that broad of a charge range. It stays there warm or cold. I would happily use that rifle for anything with those bullets, and no matter the size I would still expect two holes.

The same rifle refuses to shoot TSX 130s into an inch or even close to it, and no amount of changing powders and seating depth will change it's mind. Meanwhile, my 300 WM will quite happily spit the TSX-130 into tiny groups at warp speed.

Out of 15-20 30-06s I have seen some with preferences for heavier bullets, some with preferences for lighter bullets. I have not seen what I would hang my hat on as a preference for 30-06s out of bullets, nor of a bullet weight preference by 30-06s.

I've used 30-06s with light bullets, 130s mainly, for a long time and found them capable of excellent accuracy, just lousy choices for deer. I have never been a fan of 200/220s with a 30-06, but have used 150s, 165/168s and 180s. I really can't say that any of them stand out as getting along with the 30-06 better. Until we got the Barnes 130 TSX/TTSX bullets I used to use 150s to 168s because they performed better on deer than 130s, especially at close range.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yes, it depends on the rifle.

My NULA .30-06, which I've had for 20 years now, will shoot about anything accurately enough to kill big game at 400 yards or even more, including factory ammo. In fact, the only bulletd I can recall it NOT shooting well were some original Barnes X's, before the TSX. Other than that it just plunks them in there. But NULA's are exceptional rifles in several ways.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by StrayDog
Will blow a 55 gallon drum, full of water, 6 feet in the air... laugh whistle
Sounds like a lot of fun, at least something I could enjoy winning a bet with.

That was an interesting comment. I have actually shot 55 gallon steel drums full of water with both the 220 30-06 load as well as the 200 NBT from a 340 Weatherby. Neither of them got that done. But they are both bad news for moose! laugh

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (1_deuce, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 160user, 2500HD, 1beaver_shooter, 68 invisible), 2,347 guests, and 1,199 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,656
Posts18,455,584
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.