-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Me and my wife went to the range today, as we continue to prep for Concealed Carry testing. She'd never shot before we met, so this is all new to her, but she's catching on quick. Her little Taurus .380 is proving to be tough to shoot accurately. It's low due to the very low sights, designed for concealed carry. I had her shoot my FEG 9mm and she did just fine. She will probably end up testing with it in stead of the Taurus. If the Taurus continues to be tough to group, even at close range, it might go down the road in favor of a sub compact 9mm. "A good time was had by all."

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I'd think if you could hit a human sil target at 7ft what more do you want? Keep on having fun!

The things that come to those that wait may be the things left by those who got there first.

Unk
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I don't know what it's like in other states, but here in Minnesota you have to take 5 shots at 15 feet and 20 shots at 25 feet to qualify.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
In most of Pennsylvania, you go into the Sheriffs Office, fill out some paperwork, give them $20 and walk out with your permit. Took about 30 minutes for Grace and I both when we lived in Lancaster County. Do it again in 5 years. Philly and a few other counties drag their feet as long as they legally can.

Phugg that 'testing' stuff.

Dale

This space for rent

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Yeah Dale, we're not that lucky. The class takes 6-7 hours and costs $140.00 at the range. Then you still have to go buy the permit at the Sheriff's office.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
IC B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
my brother has a Glock 43. i'd put that on the list for her to try. for a self defense gun, reliability is paramount

if a man speaks, and there isn't a woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Depending on her size, a S&W Shield in 9mm could be the answer. Good for her (and you) for taking the time and putting up with the B.S. to arm yourselves.

Do you practice malfunction clearance drills? I highly recommend that you do. They will reinforce proper loading techniques and give you more confidence when things go bad.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Here in Washakie County, Wy.(each county has different requirements),we were required to attend classes Mon. thru Fri., 6pm- 10 pm(several nights went over) and 1/2 day Sat. I started out a little pissed!! I've been shooting handguns since 8 or 10, and spent 4 years as a reserve police officer. Thirty minutes into the first night, I realized that this was going to be a real good experience. Our instructor had attended Gunsite Academy twice for instructor training. We watched FBI and Kalifornia HP training vidieos. We covered legal aspects shooting in self defense. We fired our weapons every night, both in lighted and night shoot situations. On Fri.night we had Shoot Don't Shoot Simulation. While we were doing the Shoot Don't Shoot drill(one at a time,with only the instructors present), While the rest of the class were taking a written exam. During the week we fired over 300 rounds of ammo. To sum it up, I learned more about combat shooting techniques, shooter liability, and developing a constant,combat ready mind set,than I did in my previous experiences with law enforcement. I will probably go back for a refresher and advanced class. I believe that it's more than just getting a permit! You should learn your limitations,both mentally and physically, as well as the potential liabilities(even in a good shoot). I believe that this type of course would carry more weight in court should you be involved in a self defense shoot! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by gophergunner
Me and my wife went to the range today, as we continue to prep for Concealed Carry testing. She'd never shot before we met, so this is all new to her, but she's catching on quick. Her little Taurus .380 is proving to be tough to shoot accurately. It's low due to the very low sights, designed for concealed carry. I had her shoot my FEG 9mm and she did just fine. She will probably end up testing with it in stead of the Taurus. If the Taurus continues to be tough to group, even at close range, it might go down the road in favor of a sub compact 9mm. "A good time was had by all."

Our local range had "Ruger Night" where you could come in and shoot a few rounds through various firearms (just handguns). I was struck by the LC9 they had (pro model, with just a trigger safety). Petite and crazy accurate (at least in my hands). It's about an inch taller and longer than the LCP .380 and you get an extra round in the magazine. If I ever get serious about CC, that is high on my list....

Kaiser Norton

The Kaiser- "If it ain't broke, I can fix that!"
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Sell that Tore-Ass and get her a Shield.

Although the LCP is proving to be no slouch...

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
Depending on her size, a S&W Shield in 9mm could be the answer. Good for her (and you) for taking the time and putting up with the B.S. to arm yourselves.

Do you practice malfunction clearance drills? I highly recommend that you do. They will reinforce proper loading techniques and give you more confidence when things go bad.

Ed
We haven't gotten to that point yet, but we will be working on that also. I really think it would be good for both of us to take some professional instruction. We're talking about defending our own lives here. Hardly something one should approach half azzed.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave
Sell that Tore-Ass and get her a Shield.

Although the LCP is proving to be no slouch...

[Linked Image]
At the time of purchase, it was pretty much all we could afford.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Kaiser Norton
Originally Posted by gophergunner

Our local range had "Ruger Night" where you could come in and shoot a few rounds through various firearms (just handguns). I was struck by the LC9 they had (pro model, with just a trigger safety). Petite and crazy accurate (at least in my hands). It's about an inch taller and longer than the LCP .380 and you get an extra round in the magazine. If I ever get serious about CC, that is high on my list....

Kaiser Norton

That's what I bought for my wife. In Purple too. laugh It's her daily carry gun and she's pretty darn good with it. Tried the Shield and the Sig, but she liked the Ruger best. Trigger is pretty good, and she has no problem racking the slide.

[Linked Image]

Range time with a few handguns, 22LR to 45ACP. She shoots them all very well.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by badger; 09/25/16.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Pro instruction is a great idea, just be careful and thoroughly check their credentials. Some "firearms trainers" never fought with a gun and just parrot what they have read or some YouTube video.

Malfunction clearance drills are pretty simple, they just require practice.

Re; your comment to deflave about price of the Taurus, get that Shield as soon as you can so you can practice with the right gun. grin

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

657 members (1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 1234, 58 invisible), 2,947 guests, and 1,325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,695
Posts18,456,662
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.