-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A lot of places offer a veteran's discount on items but they usually, and understandably, want proof of service. I am not retired so I don't have a retired military ID, and I don't feel like carrying around a DD214 for good reason. I see the VA has what they call a "veteran's health ID card" (VHIC) that is considered official proof of service. Even though I have my own health insurance, I am in the eBenefits system as a 25% disabled veteran so I assume I qualify for one of these cards. Has anyone gotten a VHIC and if so, was the process pretty simple or painfully typical of VA stuff?

Thanks,
Rob

Last edited by OutlawPatriot; 09/25/16.

"Hey jackass, get your government off my freedom."
MOLON LABE
GB1

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I see WA State is implementing a "veterans designation" on their driver's licenses starting in August 2017 so that would probably work for me. Still interested in getting the VA ID card though if anyone has done it.

MOLON LABE
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
At our VA, you must first attend an induction class where you will receive written materials, instructions, assignment to a health team and your first appointment date.
After your first appointment you can go to the business office and apply for your ID card.

Yes , it is a little like the military but well worth it IME.

The VA healthcare system has treated me well.

$$$ TRUMP AT THE PUMP 2024 $$$
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I copied a reduced in size DD214, laminated it and carry that.

Realize this doesn't answer your question, but is an option.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I walked in to the CBOC in Mt Vernon and checked in at the counter. I filled out a simple form, they took a picture, 3 weeks later I got the card in the mail.

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
If you do not have a VA IDIscard go to the Seattle and get one. Since you are already 40% you should already have one. The VA card is all the proof required.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I took a pic of my dd214 and keep it in my phone, have yet to have an issue with that.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by medefries
I walked in to the CBOC in Mt Vernon and checked in at the counter. I filled out a simple form, they took a picture, 3 weeks later I got the card in the mail.

I didn't even need to fill out the form. Ezi button.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by medefries

Good to hear, thanks man.

MOLON LABE
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I called the VA one day and they told me that I was qualified, did not need to do anything but go the local VA hospital and get my picture taken. Once that was done, I got the card in the mail. Try calling them - I do know that the card is what is used to identify you in the system and what services you qualify for. I am surprised that they haven't told you that already. The process has been pretty simple in the past.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deltakid
I called the VA one day and they told me that I was qualified, did not need to do anything but go the local VA hospital and get my picture taken. Once that was done, I got the card in the mail. Try calling them - I do know that the card is what is used to identify you in the system and what services you qualify for. I am surprised that they haven't told you that already. The process has been pretty simple in the past.

I'm already in the system, I just don't use the VA health care because I have my own coverage. So all I really need is the card as a veterans identification. Based on the comments, sounds like I can just walk in and get a picture since they already know me.

MOLON LABE
B
byd Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
+1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I got a Veterans ID card from U.S. Veteran Compensation Programs web site.
It works great for getting discounts.
ID cards

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
If you're already in the VA system, you can download a "Proof of Service" card from Ebenefits.va.gov under "download VA letters" and then "Proof of Service Card".

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

365 members (1_deuce, 264mag, 219DW, 17CalFan, 303savage, 1OntarioJim, 45 invisible), 2,298 guests, and 1,211 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,127
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.