Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
I
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
Story My cell phone rings while I’m at work, and it’s my son’s school calling. This cannot be good. My mind goes straight to what sort of injury he has suffered, or what ridiculous prank he’s pulled that has landed him in the principal’s office. So I answer the call with hesitation in my voice.

“Ladye, this is Gayla (the principal – yeah, we’re on a first name basis if that tells you anything). I just called to let you know that Brylan has made my day.”

“Oh dear Lord, I am so glad to hear you say that you are calling for a good reason,” I say, relieved.

The principal proceeds to tell me, obviously holding back laughter, that the faculty has discovered a dead squirrel in my son’s backpack.

Please pause here to imagine my horror. To say I am embarrassed is an understatement. I. Am. Mortified. A dead squirrel? Why is it in his backpack? How did the squirrel die? And WHY in the world would he try to keep this dead animal in his backpack?
When asked by the principal what possessed him to pick up a dead squirrel and store it in his backpack, my son replies with “I really wanted squirrel dumplings for dinner.” She then asks me if I actually want the squirrel to come home with him. Ya’ll, I had to explain that we are from the country, but we are not THAT country!

Gayla asks permission to send me a photo, because “it looks so peaceful lying there in his bag.” I hate how right she is, because the poor little guy really is cute. And dead. And crawling with bugs. And in my son’s backpack. Oh, may I also point out that this is the $50 Pottery Barn backpack with his name embroidered that I splurged on just two months ago?

When I see Brylan three hours later he is still fighting tears, apologizing profusely. “Mom I’m so sorry. I don’t know what I was thinking.” I ask him if he’s learned his lesson, smile, and let him know that he gets a free pass on this one. I can’t even be mad at this point. He has made the principal’s day, afterall.
I think after all of this the kid may darn well deserve some squirrel dumplings. Although, someone else will have to cook them for him because THIS mama will never!

You've got to hand it to a blind prostitute
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The only problem I see here is that the woman named her son Brylan.

WTH is a Brylan ?

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
I would like to eat a squirrel someday.

They dont live around here.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 6mm250

WTH is a Brylan ?

Mike

and a phugging back pack from Pottery Barn, with the kid's name embroidered on it? Seriously?

Sam......

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Whats wrong with that? Probably a nice backpack.

I dont know what a Pottery Barn is but who cares?

I am MAGA.
IC B2

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
They are kinda like Lays, if cooked properly.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

WTH is a Brylan ?

Mike

The only problem? I was wondering why Irving D's son's principal calls him "Ladye"

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
As soon as I saw the title " Squirrel Dumplings" it brought back memories of the delicious Squirrel Pot Pie Mom would make each fall. Thanks!

Ted
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Squirrel is way underrated.

I'd love to have a freezer full, but most of the squirrels out here ain't the eating kind.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
it looks like we might be a little low on the squirrel inventory this year. the feral cats are having an impact apparently.

IC B3

I
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
Not my son, a post that was on Facebook

You've got to hand it to a blind prostitute
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by old_willys
As soon as I saw the title " Squirrel Dumplings" it brought back memories of the delicious Squirrel Pot Pie Mom would make each fall. Thanks!

My first wife made great squirrel and dumplings--she was a red-headed Tennessee country girl. The first time I brought home a sack of squirrels she was upset that I removed the heads when I cleaned them. She liked to boil them head-on, then crack their little skulls and scoop out the brains as a special treat. The first time I saw her pop a brain into her mouth, my thoughts were "Oh my God, I've been kissing those lips" eek

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Amusing anecdote, and well worth sharing.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Alagator

My first wife made great squirrel and dumplings--she was a red-headed Tennessee country girl. The first time I brought home a sack of squirrels she was upset that I removed the heads when I cleaned them. She liked to boil them head-on, then crack their little skulls and scoop out the brains as a special treat. The first time I saw her pop a brain into her mouth, my thoughts were "Oh my God, I've been kissing those lips" eek

U kin get mad skwerl disease from eatin skwerl brains

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Alagator

U kin get mad skwerl disease from eatin skwerl brains

Mike

Redhead...too late.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

537 members (1_deuce, 12344mag, 1minute, 19rabbit52, 10gaugeman, 1eyedmule, 54 invisible), 2,732 guests, and 1,226 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,710
Posts18,456,891
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.