24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No tape on the lug here either, but yes on the grease when needed.

Now with even more aplomb
BP-B6

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I've only bedded Remington's so some of this may not apply-float the barrel and make sure it is aligned in the barrel channel. Put three layers of electrical tape on the bottom only of the lug (make sure the lug is not out of clock or it can be very hard to remove the barreled action after the epoxy cures). Coat the metal work with release agent-I use Hornady one shot but wax or cooking spray such as Pam works also.

I hold the action in the stock with slave bolts (that have the heads cut off so they will go through the holes) and surgical tubing until cured, remove action, take the tape off the bottom of the lug or out of the recess if it stayed in. Clean up any bedding that got where you didn't want it, drill the screw holes to size (pillars make a difference in drill bit size), go aprox. half way through from one side then all the way from the other. This helps to keep the drill hole straight.

The idea of the tape on the bottom of the recoil lug is that you will inevitably get shavings or dust under the lug as you put the action in the stock. This space keeps up pressure from occurring. I do not lube any of the metal work that contacts the bedding material because even a thin layer can cause some unwanted pressure.

I know there are a lot of thoughts on bedding a rifle, this is what has worked for me.

Golden............
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I always tape the front, and sides of the lug with one layer of plumbers tape. Makes it easy to take in and out. Before I put it back together(after cleanings and stuff like that), I always blow the lug area out with compressed air. Never had an issue.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by wareagle700
I tape the front, sides, and bottom of the lug.

Just curious what your rationale is for taping the front, sides, and bottom.

In short, "stress free bedding."

I don't believe there is any benefit for the lug to contact the bedding material in those areas when the action is torqued down. If there was any flex in the forearm of the stock, to me it seems there is more potential for a shift in POI when the lug has full contact vs. just contact at the rear. It also makes it easier to pull the barreled action out of the stock.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You need to specify what kind of bedding job you are doing before you can say "I do X" or "I do Y'.
Are you skim bedding an already bedded action? One that is pillar bedded? or one that has no previous bedding?
I've done it both ways depending on the situation and they all shot good.
The ones with tape are easier to take out of the stock. The ones without will scare you as in "Oh S***, this action might be glued in permanently". So far all have come apart eventually.
As a side note, back when the Army highpower team used to shoot M1's they just epoxied the actions into the stocks permanently. Nice to have taxpayers paying for your rifles.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
You need to specify what kind of bedding job you are doing before you can say "I do X" or "I do Y'.
Are you skim bedding an already bedded action? One that is pillar bedded? or one that has no previous bedding?
The ones with tape are easier to take out of the stock. The ones without will scare you as in "Oh S***, this action might be glued in permanently". So far all have come apart eventually.
As a side note, back when the Army highpower team used to shoot M1's they just epoxied the actions into the stocks permanently. Nice to have taxpayers paying for your rifles.

What would you do with a Kimber Montana, tape the lug or not?

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Here's how I do it, in this case on a Savage Target Action with pillars. First start off with clearing all wood interference with the action, so the inletting black only appears on the pillars. On a Savage the rear tang will remain free floated after bedding. White arrow points to area yet to clear.

[Linked Image]

Next, trigger mortise and bolt handle notch are filled with modeling clay pressed over plastic wrap to make it easy to remove and reuse to prevent epoxy from entering. Also, any recesses or slots in the action are filled with modeling clay and struck off flush. Red lines indicate where epoxy relief runners are cut with a 1/8" Dremel burr, this allows excess epoxy to escape so the action sits down on the pillars with no stress. The recoil lug is wrapped with 20 mil pipe wrap and the barrel nut wrapped with several layers of plastic electrical tape. NOTE: I coat the I.D. of the pillars with release agent (auto wax) using a Q-Tip then stuff them with modeling clay. Then I use three headless guide screws (visible above the action) wrapped with electrical tape to just fit through the pillars and coated with release agent, screwed into the action holes to mount the stock. These screws push the clay out the bottom and no epoxy enters. The guide screws are removed one at a time and replaced with stockmaker's tee handled screws coated with release agent to secure the action until it cures, being careful to use just enough torque to bottom the action on the pillars. Those runners bleed the epoxy as everything seats, making it easy.

[Linked Image]

The Front, Sides and bottom of the recoil lug are taped with 2 mil pipe wrap and the barrel nut, or chamber area wrapped to maintain free float. The object is to prevent any part of the lug, especially the bottom, from interfering with the stock, which will make accuracy erratic.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by WranglerJohn; 09/26/16.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Next, when everything is struck off when stiff enough with a plastic knife or sharpened Popsicle stick and then allowed to cure. Note the excess epoxy bled off through the runners and allowed the action to sit stress free on the pillars. The barrel was wrapped mid forearm with a bushing of tape prior to bedding to set it level with the pillars.

[Linked Image]

Final bedding job after cleaning up. There will be little half round artifacts filled with epoxy along the edges of the action mortise, that disappear when finish is applied.

[Linked Image]

With the Remington, one may have to modify the stock to provide sufficient support for a commercial pillar, here a Score High adjustable is shown.

[Linked Image]

The area outlined with yellow is scant for installing the pillar, so I fill it with J.B. Weld and allow to cure well before drilling the through hole. The Remington uses a bedded tang.

[Linked Image]

In this case the recoil lug and chamber area is treated as the Savage. I do not use the action screws to mount the action during cure, these may not come loose easily, so I use stockmaker's screws. With the Remington, when installing pillars they are usually mounted to the action prior to bedding in the epoxy. When using the Score High kit all the tools are included and can be used for subsequent jobs. Follow the instructions exactly.

http://www.scorehi.com/our-products/

Last edited by WranglerJohn; 09/26/16.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark

Shortactionsmoker or some of the other more experienced Kimber guys can probably give you a better answer than me but on my wife's since it is just a skim bedding I taped the recoil lug sides, front and bottom with electrical tape.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K

The short answer is yes and yes. LOL
I've done it both ways and results were always excellent. My preference, its strictly my preference, I like doing with no tape. My boss on the other hand, (he owns Accurate Innovations), likes taping better.
If you remove your barreled action from the stock often, you may want to tape, but if your like me and rarely remove it, that I would bed without tape.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I won't "skim bed" any rifle

If I am going to the trouble of applying a release agent and filling holes with clay I will then cut out the factory bed job. I then sand out all of the contact between the tang and the chamber using chalk or marksalot as a transfer medium

Kimbers all have this in common
(high spots between the tang and lug)

Dropping the action all the way down to the pillars and then re-bedding is what I like to do to stocks with pillars.

This is the start of a Kimber Montana 280AI re-bed after cutting out the slave/action factory bed job.

This Kimber's action was dropped .018 to contact the recoil lug pillar alone.

[Linked Image]

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by RickBin
No tape here. I use 20-mil plumber's tape to free-float the barrel, usually from the end of the shank forward.

Once it all comes out I grease the lug.

I've seen some of your bedding jobs on your Rem 700's and they are a thing of beauty.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I will be bedding my Montana and a couple other rifles in a week or two. In the tutorial Brad posted for his Montana he used the tightened action screws to hold the action in and did not tape off the recoil lug.

I see that often when rifles are bedded a layer of tape is placed on the sides, front and bottom. I thought Brad may not have done this because of the shape of the Montana lug and the fact that he completely tightened the action screws using them instead of something else to hold the action in the stock when bedding.

Do any of you also bed the lug without using any tape? It sounds to me like it would cause the action to be held even better as long as you can still get it in and out of the stock when necessary.

I know you don't want tape on the rear bearing surface. I just wondered of folks do it either way depending on preference or if it just works because of the light skim bed on a rifle like the Montana that is already bedded to a slave action and because Brad was using the action bolts very tight during the bedding job.

I never use any tape.. IMHO it defeats the purpose..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
WHile I've only done one bedding job, on a ruger Hawkeye, I taped the muzzale side of the lug as well as the bottom.

The reasoning was the muzzle side shouldn't be touching anything when the slanted action screw is tightened and the bottom of the lug shouldn't touch either because once it does further tightening of the action screw wont bring the action down to proper contact. After removing the tape from the bottom the action seating becomes the limiting factor, not the lug.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
WHile I've only done one bedding job, on a ruger Hawkeye, I taped the muzzale side of the lug as well as the bottom.

The reasoning was the muzzle side shouldn't be touching anything when the slanted action screw is tightened and the bottom of the lug shouldn't touch either because once it does further tightening of the action screw wont bring the action down to proper contact. After removing the tape from the bottom the action seating becomes the limiting factor, not the lug.

That's why I wondered if tightening the action screws farmer tight during bedding was what made taping the bottom of the lug unnecessary.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thinking the same here.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

If you knew how many M1s were around when they were still using them, it was a moot issue totally... a dime a dozen or less....

Freezer will generally eventually allow even glued in actions to pop loose....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
98 members (160user, 35, 308ld, 338reddog, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 9 invisible), 1,642 guests, and 757 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,766
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.