Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Can anyone with first hand experience recommend a reliable vendor....no internet hearsay please....any do's and don'ts would appreciated too...

Thanks

BP-B2

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Right up the way for you.....Kampfeld customs

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
A few to choose from here on this site. Eddie Fousnough is the first that comes to my mind. However, I have all mine done by a local guy. He is awesome with the chit....:

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Eddie Fosnaugh has done 2 for me. Great guy to work with and does excellent work.

Last edited by SLM; 09/24/16. Reason: 2 not 3.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks guys.....BSA.....what color is the metal on your rifle....

Any contact info for Eddie....

IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
PM inbound of a top notch guy in Idaho.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Eddie Fosnaugh is great.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
Thanks guys.....BSA.....what color is the metal on your rifle....

Any contact info for Eddie....

The color is midnight blue. Look up Fosnough customs and you'll find his website..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Use the NIC certified Cerakote applicator tool to find a good local applicator. https://www.cerakoteguncoatings.com/resource/locator/?

"Hired Gun" Quickest and fastest all motor sand car on the planet.
3.008 at 104.8 300' of sand.

NRA Patron Life Member, Gunsmith, Instructor, Chief RSO
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
You might consider powder coating. Wears like iron. The ceracoat guns I've had scratch and show bare metal through the coating. I have not been impressed. JMHO.

LOL
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
The cerakoting I've had done doesn't show any wear of any kind. You must have been fu cked by your smith or who ever applied it.

BSA MAGA
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
You are in Idaho, use Karl. Don't worry about him not being "certified" that doesn't mean [bleep], he's as good as they come. Some of the worst jobs I have ever seen come from people who took the certification class.

If you don't want to keep it there in your state, I would be happy to help out.

Eddie Fosnaugh
www.fosnaughcustoms.com
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by eddief
You are in Idaho, use Karl. Don't worry about him not being "certified" that doesn't mean [bleep], he's as good as they come. Some of the worst jobs I have ever seen come from people who took the certification class.

If you don't want to keep it there in your state, I would be happy to help out.

This post says a lot about the integrity of Eddie F. ^^^^^ I don't believe my guy that does cerakoting for me is "certified" either, but his work is second to none in this area. It hasn't fallen off or scratched yet. He also stands behind his jobs. He told me if anything ever happens to it, bring it back to him. He's actually had to touch up my custom pre 64 338 win mag after I re-welded and re-contoured the tang of the rifle. Long story, but some idiot ground off the back end of the tang and I restored it back to factory contour wink. No one would know, unless I told them:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I went Black Ice coating out of Utah, but Birdsong also does a very nice coating. Not cerrakote, but very nice coatings from both.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Hey Eddie.

You seem to take issue with whenever I recommend using the NIC, "find an applicator" tool. Why is that?

To universally recommend avoiding formally educated applicators who have invested in their business by becoming Certified is an insult to NIC and the thousands of Certified applicators that take the business seriously. Getting Certified gains any applicator knowledge that can only be learned from the maker of the product from objective laboratory testing and from the feedback from tens of thousands of applications without having to subject customers to these pitfalls while the applicator gains experience and feedback. That in depth knowledge is absent from someone that is not certified. Without objective laboratory testing even “experienced applicators” mistakes could go unnoticed and brushed off as a shortcoming of Cerakote.

Shawn

"Hired Gun" Quickest and fastest all motor sand car on the planet.
3.008 at 104.8 300' of sand.

NRA Patron Life Member, Gunsmith, Instructor, Chief RSO
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Shawn, I'm not Eddie, but here's my take on it, based on 27 years in an industry that has "certification"
Anybody can sleep thru an online class and fumble their way thru a passing grade on a test to get certified. It's a big ego boost to hang a tag on their front door or toolbox that they're certified, and an expert, but it doesn't mean they know chit, or have the skill to pull off an excellent job. I know that isn't always the case for everybody, I've just seen it enough to not put a whole lot of stock in it.

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by HiredGun
Hey Eddie.

You seem to take issue with whenever I recommend using the NIC, "find an applicator" tool. Why is that?

To universally recommend avoiding formally educated applicators who have invested in their business by becoming Certified is an insult to NIC and the thousands of Certified applicators that take the business seriously. Getting Certified gains any applicator knowledge that can only be learned from the maker of the product from objective laboratory testing and from the feedback from tens of thousands of applications without having to subject customers to these pitfalls while the applicator gains experience and feedback. That in depth knowledge is absent from someone that is not certified. Without objective laboratory testing even “experienced applicators” mistakes could go unnoticed and brushed off as a shortcoming of Cerakote.

Shawn

That's probably what happened to fireball2's rifle that the cerakote scratched off. He didn't happen to send his rifle to you, did he?

BSA MAGA
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by HiredGun
Hey Eddie.

Shawn

Shawn,

I'm sorry, I don't believe I have ever "universally recommended avoiding formally educated applicators." In fact I know I haven't. So do yourself a favor and don't put words in my mouth. My relationship with NIC is stellar and their company is as good as they come. To imply that a applicator that is not Certified doesn't take the business serious is laughable at best. I go through multiple gallons of cerakote every month and on more than one occasion in the past, they have contacted me on how I was doing some things that they couldn't. They also helped me out at times when I started out.

I have also repaired a few really botched up jobs from a couple different coaters (who I will not mention) that were Certified. I was concerned and notified my contacts at NIC about it. Guess what they said? We train how to properly prep and apply the coating to the substrate(s), after they leave here it's up to them. Sounds spot on to me.

However, I think taking the class is great if you have no experience. It's great for advertisement also, but if you do crappy work it won't matter, because you wont last very long.

I will go on record here and say I personally know good certified applicators too. Hopefully you feel better know.

I do pay to advertise on here too.

Good day to all......TRUMP 2016

Eddie Fosnaugh
www.fosnaughcustoms.com
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Good post Eddie and spot on!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
645 members (1badf350, 09wingates, 2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 67 invisible), 2,625 guests, and 1,167 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,601
Posts18,398,282
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.