Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
OK I give up my cheap Crosman scope and maybe the rifle are giving me fits. While it is probably the scope not holding adjustments a 30yd hit is a thing of the past and now 10yds is fire once adjust the hold and fire for effect. Just like artillery.

So cant see putting $$$ in a new scope for a basic Crosman springer. So in the market to start over.

It will be very little target (only for break in and sight in)mostly to keep my large yard from the encroaching evil long tooth bunny.

Have a .177 but would consider a 22.

Want accuracy power ease to shoot. Minimize the hold from the equation as much as possible. No desire to have to send it off for a tune up. While a PCP would be nice don't want to deal with the large extra $$ for compressor tanks etc.

So there you have it. Help me spend some $$
So TX200, R9, RWS34 OOOOOORRRRRR???
Don't forget the scope.

Just my 2 cents.
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've owned several springers and a Gas Ram all in .22 and one in .20

Of all I have owned the best by quite a wide margin is the Air Arms TX200. This TX200 is like a fully custom tuned rifle right out of the box. Hold sensitivity is nonexistent, probably because it weighs 11 pounds with the scope. It's a really heavy rifle which puts that weight to good use by being about as easy to shoot as a PCP. Another advantage to the weight is the ability to use any scope you want. The rifle has no sharp recoil to deal with.

Power I can tell you is plentiful, 740fps with a crossman premier at the muzzle and 670 at 25 yards. I've shot and crumpled several dozen rabbits at 50-60 yards laser measured prior to the shot. If you want to eliminate Rabbits, the .22 rifle is the way to go. It's a far more devastating round then the .177, I also had an HW97 in .20 which would also flatten rabbits instantly.

Now for the good stuff..... the walnut stock is simply beautiful with the fish scale checkering. Almost too nice to use as a hunting rifle. The metal work and bluing is likely the best possible work made by anyone firearm or air rifle!

Finally you can take the spring out without any special tools or de-compression device. It's not under much pressure and will not jump out of the gun. That makes this rifle completely serviceable by anyone.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
L
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
L
I realize you said no PCP, but look at the Benjamin Discovery or Maximus. Pump will keep you in air so, no need for tanks, compressor or anything but pellets.

Certainly nothing wrong with the TX200

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Thanks guys

Louis I've even been looking at the Marauder. But can't seem to get any first hand info as to the effort required to pump the darn thing up.

The TX200 is high on the list. Seems everything is compared to it. As I read it the HW97 is basically the same price if you skip the Walnut and the TX200 has a touch smoother trigger and is just smoother overall.

Just my 2 cents.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The 3 you listed would be the top 3 I would suggest. Only issue I have heard about with a TX200 is the weight of the gun. The R9 is a nice little rifle, mine weighs about the same as my 30-06. The 34's are a step down but still very serviceable rifles. Kind of comes down to your budget. The TX is going to be around $650, an R9 will run you about $450, and the M34 about $300. A decent scope will be another $200.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
IC B2

R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
While the budget has a limit the TX 200 falls in it. Maybe towards the top. wink I have no issue paying for quality and accuracy. Will not simply pay for a name.

Have a friend that has the TX and he is drooling over the Marauder. Waiting for his answer as to why.

If I had to make the decision today it would be the TX. But since he loves it wondering why he wants the Marauder. He is on the road heading to Houston for some medical needs so might be a couple days of waiting.

Keep the thoughts coming.

Just my 2 cents.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I bought an RWS 54 in .22 earlier this year and it's a pip, but too heavy to carry around much. Kinda wish I'd bought a PCP. The big disadvantages of springers are the recoil affect on POI that most suffer and that you can't leave them cocked and ready for any length of time without weakening the spring. Some of the PCPs are very quiet, which may be an advantage for backyard shooters. The springers you mention are good guns and that TX200 seems to be highly regarded as well.

What fresh Hell is this?
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Heard back from my buddy. He said his TX 200 was very accurate and not hold specific. That his reason to look at the Marauder was that he carries the rifle through the woods and the TX is heavy. Also he has had a number of times that a quick second shot would have helped. Does a lot of squirrel in the tree top.

After further pushing he admitted that his true lust was a S510 but that his budget just couldn't swing it when you add in an air source.

He agreed with me that for me usually shooting from the house at rabbits the TX would be perfect. Yes I could get by with less of a rifle but heck you only live once and I'm having trouble getting back to larger bores after surgery last fall.

So a TX 200 Walnut it will be now .177 or 22 :rolleyes: :rotflmo: I do have the scope picked out so I am making progress.

Last edited by ramrod340; 09/25/16.

Just my 2 cents.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't have any .177 experience on game, but I whacked enough small stuff (up to rabbit size) in my misspent youth with a Crosman .22 pump to know it's a killer. For bunnies, there might not be much difference and .177 pellets are, as you doubtless know, a good bit cheaper.

One of the attractive features of the Air Force PCPs is that some models let you switch calibers.

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
22 cal for fur, 17 for feathers.

Gamo has some good ones up in the 1000fps range.

IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Lots of good choices. If money and weight weren't an issue, the TX200 would be a top pick. The R9 is a great little rifle. I've killed a lot of pests over the years with mine.

I prefer 177 for R9 and similar powered guns, but 22 for the magnum RWS 350, 48, and similar rifles.

I tend to stick with Leupolds or Bushnell Elites for spring guns. Burris told me their scopes were airgun rated, but I had an RWS 350 kill two Burris scopes. Both were replaced under warranty, but I gave up on Burris for high powered springers.

L
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
L
Ramrod340

The Marauder is a whole nother bag of worms.

3,000 psi fill as opposed to 2,000 for the Disco/Maximus.

If you are going 3,000 psi route then the extras will exceed the cost of the Marauder.

I have the Hatsan AT44 which is a 3,000 psi gun.
The AT44 is more effort to pump up and so I use the Disco most of the time.

I think the Disco or Maximus would suit your needs.

I would go Maximus because of the synthetic stock.

Not sure of weights, but the Disco is almost TOO light and the AT44 is HEAVY, Probably up therewith my heaviest powder guns.

Springers also need a special scope so you won't shake them apart.

Too Bad you are not close, I would just let you test shoot them for a while, My grackle problems to had "died" down.

See if you can borrow the TX200.

Like 22s, pellet shooters are ammo sensitive. I am down to less than 50 of the Disco's favorite and only hope current production of that pellet does as well!

Last edited by LouisB; 09/28/16.

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Springers in general do need a solid well made springer rated scope.

The TX200 is such a gentle rifle that I think about any well made scope would survive just fine. However I cannot see how anyone would be putting a cheap scope on a 700 dollar rifle.

I have thousands of rounds through my TX200 with a Vortex 4-16 scope so far with no issues at all. It's an astonishing tack driver even at 50 yards, 30 yards is a chip shot even on dime sized targets.

The weak link ( for all air rifles) is the wind. The Vortex scope has BDC reticle. With the hash marks on the horizontal plane, the wind doping becomes much easier. There are vertical and horizontal lines to manage the impact point. Hitting 50 yard targets with a decent breeze is possible with this scope. I would not even take the shot without these additional hash marks to use as my aim point.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Beeman R1 is old school but my pellet launcher of choice

Location Western NC,
after alot of other places
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ramrod340
While the budget has a limit the TX 200 falls in it. Maybe towards the top. wink I have no issue paying for quality and accuracy. Will not simply pay for a name.

Have a friend that has the TX and he is drooling over the Marauder. Waiting for his answer as to why.

If I had to make the decision today it would be the TX. But since he loves it wondering why he wants the Marauder. He is on the road heading to Houston for some medical needs so might be a couple days of waiting.

Keep the thoughts coming.

Well this makes it easy, offer to buy his TX200!

As to what caliber - if it is a hunting rifle .22 all the way. I have owned several similar power rifles in both .177 and .22 and can say without a doubt the .22 is a better killer. When you are only dealing with 12-15 fpe the extra diameter of the pellet makes a notable difference.

Last edited by centershot; 09/29/16.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
I suggested be sell me his TX. Unlike me I think he has every gun be ever bought. So I have decided on the walnut Tx200. Will finalize caliber next week on vacation.

Just my 2 cents.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JJHACK
Springers in general do need a solid well made springer rated scope.

The TX200 is such a gentle rifle that I think about any well made scope would survive just fine. However I cannot see how anyone would be putting a cheap scope on a 700 dollar rifle.

I have thousands of rounds through my TX200 with a Vortex 4-16 scope so far with no issues at all. It's an astonishing tack driver even at 50 yards, 30 yards is a chip shot even on dime sized targets.

The weak link ( for all air rifles) is the wind. The Vortex scope has BDC reticle. With the hash marks on the horizontal plane, the wind doping becomes much easier. There are vertical and horizontal lines to manage the impact point. Hitting 50 yard targets with a decent breeze is possible with this scope. I would not even take the shot without these additional hash marks to use as my aim point.

I have a Nikon Prostaff Target EFR on my R9 - it has been a great scope. AO (a must) 3-9 with a regular X hair w/ target dot reticle. I have tried the mil dot's but prefer a plain X-hair and hold off on my own. Shots into the wind are usually just holding on that side of the target - and with a 25yd zero a couple inches of hold over will get you out to about 50 yards. Fun stuff.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I put a Bushnell Trophy XLT 4-12 with AO on my RWS 54. At over 1000 rounds, it's still holding up, as it should since it's airgun rated. I got mine from Amazon for less than $140, but currently it's $199.95.

Both of my sons have had this scope or its predecessor on .22s with good results. One still has his and it's going on 20 years old.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
.22 Weihrauch hw95 and BSA Supersport

.177 BSA Super sport and Gamo Shadow 1000

Those are my breakbarrels and very satisfied.

Last edited by 300grains; 10/27/16.
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Thanks guys for all your help and input. I did purchase the TX200 in 22 cal. Currently has about 80rds through it. A little heavy but since it will be used out the door and off the porch in the yard the weight is no big deal. Just doing some break in down in the basement. 15yds. Tossing 3 types of pellets each in their own .5" group. Well get several 100 through it before I don any serious testing. Love the trigger and it doesn't seem to care that much about my hold.

Think we are going to be good friends.

Just my 2 cents.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
642 members (257_X_50, 1234, 257Bob, 06hunter59, 257man, 007FJ, 74 invisible), 2,934 guests, and 1,321 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,661
Posts18,399,311
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.