Hop To
#11460750 09/25/16
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
[Linked Image]

I swapped out tripods and heads recently so that along with holding my spotting scope it can do this. Just got the plate bolted up to a rifle tonight. Live fire will confirm, but this seems like it is going to be some high level cheating. I'm holding half moa from sitting and moa from standing without rear support. Looking forward to setting up on a steep rockslide somewhere!

[Linked Image]

Empirical results rule!
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Nice rifle Carl. I see you are selling your .223 rem Tikka you used in your positional match, or maybe that was formid. You probably won't be able to use this rifle for something like that, but I bet it shoots lights out. Damn nice buddy!!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
My chunky rifles actually balance pretty well, and I've shot that positional drill with them a bunch. 18/20 and up is what I expect shooting them!

My lighter hunting rifle will be getting an Arca-Swiss plate too, but I bolted this one up first. The tripod will get used as a rest in competition as well as hunting. The Snipers Hide Cup this year required a tripod or similar for a TON of stages. After shooting it using borrowed stuff from squadmates, I decided to get a setup for myself.

Empirical results rule!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Pretty cool set-up..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
so, what's the new tripod and head?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Scissor jack is the head, but that's been done before.....

PS, Carl, that's just an inside joke with Huntsman, don't want to detract from your thread.

Last edited by smokepole; 09/26/16.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
No worries Smoke. Don, the legs are Feisol 3342's and the head is a Sirui K40x.

Did some live fire testing yesterday.

[Linked Image]

Stuff NEVER feels quite as stable at the range as it does dryfiring at home, but I'm used to that.

[Linked Image]

The bottom 5 shot group was a prone/bipod zero confirmation. It isn't always quite that pretty, got to enjoy those!

The group on the left is my first five shots from sitting, otherwise unsupported. I didn't put myself on the clock, but tried to get them off in a reasonable amount of time, I'd guess it took just over a minute.

The group on the right is my first five shots from standing. The rightmost one was my first. Perhaps I was getting the feel for things, but I bet if I shot a bunch of 5 shot groups like that standing I'd have one out as often as not.

I was pretty sure I could do better than my first try sitting, so I setup again, this time supporting the rear of the rifle with sticks. It went well.

[Linked Image]

I then shot some 1.5 moa steel at longer ranges from sitting unsupported. It felt like no handicap at all, except it was tougher to spot shots at the closer distances. I'll have to work on that. Overall, I'm quite pleased and think that this will give me just the capability I was hoping for.

Empirical results rule!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good stuff. I'll have to look into one of these setups...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Carl, what glass on your rig?

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by starsky
Good stuff. I'll have to look into one of these setups...

Great... My pack is getting even heavier...

Tanner

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Brad, it's a Bushnell DMR that's been around the block and shows it. I'll upgrade it someday but it just keeps working.

Tanner, I had a heavy and a light tripod, this splits the difference weight wise. It'll probably be a 1 lb weight increase for me, but will be a nicer tripod for glassing from as well.

Empirical results rule!
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Looks good.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Like that a whole lot! Amazing country too.

“There is no limit to the amount of good you can do if you don’t care who gets credit.” R. Reagan
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Damn! If we'd had those at the Alamo Santa Anna would have carried his brown azz back to Mexico post haste!

As it was we just shot off the shoulder and made 'em pay dearly!

Even birds know not to land downwind!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

67 members (ATC, 808outdoors, 10gaugemag, 444Matt, 12 invisible), 2,199 guests, and 729 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,670
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.