Print Thread
Hop To
#11461272 09/25/16
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
out running around with grandson yesterday, and ran across a couple thousand sheep in the dirt road. Basque sheep herder, who my grandson evidently able to communicate with. Sheep herder had four i think great pyrenees dogs, big suckers, all white, with the sheep. They were quite interesting. Couple were leading the sheep,others working as flankers. When my truck showed up all four got between my truck and the sheep. Sheepherder in discussion about the area, was aware of a couple of bear, mt. lion, and the yotes in the area. Said when one of those white dogs found a threat, he called his other three buddies and they took care of it. Absolutely fearless he said, bear no problem. They were magnificent to watch.
It looked like they were laying a scent trail for the sheep on the sides of the flock by peeing in a straight line on the sides they wanted the sheep to go. Also they slept with the flock.
Amazing to watch.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
GB1

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Great Pyrenees are really neat dogs. A friend of mine had a coon dog torn up pretty good by one. I guess the hounds pushed a coon into a pasture where a Pyrenees was standing guard. Not too good!!! There are quite a few in need of rescue. Pretty sad. frown. Folks get them without having a job for them, which often times results in an abandoned pet.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Wife's nephew has one as a pet. With no sheep to herd, the dog is a pain in the butt in every fashion. Big as a horse.
Slobber, long hair and yep, marks everything in sight. Big
'ol feet can turn door knobs, deadbolts and turned on the stove burners while stealing a brisket off the top. Breaks through windows. Pushes down privacy fence. Lives to escape. Aside from that he's a lovable dog.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
I live with two golden retrievers, and an ankle biter. If it wasn't for that, i would seriously start looking.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
They are working dogs. They have been bred to have a job and without one, they get bored and tear stuff up.

Just ask a Heeler owner who has one just as a pet. grin

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think the reason, or one of the reasons, that they are all white is because by the time the predator realizes it's not messing with a sheep, it's too late..

Imagine the surprise of finding out at the last second that big juicy sheep is really a 100lb dog who really hates you.

Last edited by rlott; 09/26/16.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

75 members (35, 7mm_Loco, 257robertsimp, 6mmCreedmoor, 11 invisible), 1,376 guests, and 835 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,060
Posts18,463,252
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.