Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Hey guys, I have and AR-10 that I am hoping to use as a dual purpose weapon system- urban tactical and short range hunting. I was thinking of which optic to put on it. I have been shying away from putting a traditional hunting optic on it as that would be not very effective on the go when I can't have a nice steady shot and concentrate on things like eye relief.

So I was thinking about going with a quality red dot instead. Obviously, that would be best for tactical shooting but my question is, how far out can I realistically expect to use something like the Aimpoint pro on medium size game? I have two concerns. First is the obvious topic of magnification. How far out at 1x can I make an accurate shot on game? And secondly, how much of an error is the dot MOA size going to impact how far out I can expect to shoot.

My off the cuff guess is that I should be just fine 0-200 yards and for a good broad side still shot, I can probably reach out to 300 yards. Any thoughts or experience hunting with a red dot?

Thanks,
Rob

"Hey jackass, get your government off my freedom."
MOLON LABE
BP-B2

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Typical Aim Point dot is 2 MOA.

That's over 6 inches at 300 yards.

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 09/25/16.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have these on two of my ARs and really love them.
http://www.eotechinc.com/holographic-weapon-sights

and on my AR custom build .204 I also added this magnifier for the best of both worlds. http://www.eotechinc.com/holographic-weapon-sights/model-g33-magnifier

Tolerance is the virtue of a man without convictions

A positive attitude will not solve all your problems,
but it will annoy enough people to make it a worthwhile effort.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
the 1.25-4 or 2-7 VXR would be a better choice.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have used a dot sight on AR rifles for hunting. For me, they are short range options.

Sam......

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I killed a deer with one. A red dot at 4:30 is too bright at 5:30, one more thing to play with. I would not use one again, recall that most black guns have weapons lights for a reason..

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I dunno chitt about Aimpoint but have three rifles with Millett SP-1 red dots. They have a 3 MOA dot, a range of 11 brightness settings and cost about $75.

I think they work OK and seem to stand up to recoil well. Haven't had a failure since the first was purchased in '98. Had to replace a battery on one about a year back.

I'd call them close to MOA capable but can't give a definitive measure.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The paradox of using paper patch bullets and a red dot scope should be like a cold front meeting a warm front.

It should be raining in your gun chamber.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Get a good 1-4 scope, illuminated if you'd like, and then add a tiny reflex sight mounted on the tube for clearing your chicken house or whatever.

Red dots allow surprisingly accurate shooting at short and medium ranges, but reduce the light that reaches your eye considerably. One of mine, a Burris, has auto-brightness, which doesn't always work well. The other, a Vortex Sparc 2, has manual control, which works much better for me.

Given a choice, and having carried red dots in the woods a bit, I would always choose a scope for hunting.

Last edited by Pappy348; 09/25/16.

What fresh Hell is this?
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Typical Aim Point dot is 2 MOA.

That's over 6 inches at 300 yards.

The bead on an iron sighted rifle covers more than that but by using a six o'clock hold and sighting with the top edge, some fairly long range shots can be made.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RWE
The paradox of using paper patch bullets and a red dot scope should be like a cold front meeting a warm front.

It should be raining in your gun chamber.

Pshaaw......

Something old, something new? To add pain to your thoughts, the gun is stainless/synthetic. laugh

Hey, it works.... grin

[Linked Image]

The small targets were shot with an elbow rest if that makes you feel any better. smirk

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
There is an arse for every seat but for me, I don't get the utility of a red dot. A 1 x 4 scope or a receiver sight is just as quick and the scope definitely offers more precision. And for me, the receiver sight does too because I have a slight astigmatism that keeps the dot from being precisely sharp. But I think even were that not the case, I would prefer the low power scope for all purposes.

I think the red dot is good for guys who never learned to shoot optics with both eyes open. They get the red dot and feel like it is quicker. But if you shoot with both eyes open, it isn't any quicker than anything else.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I put an AimPoint H1 on mt mini-14 a few years back and really like its light weight and utility in a variety of shooting situations. You can click the photo for more info.

[Linked Image]

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Different situation.......... I put a BSA red dot on a Savage 24 in 30-30. I liked not needing to worry about eye relief, vagnetting was non existent, and parallax didn't seem to bother me. I tried lining up really off center just to see, and even with the dot way off on the side the bullet goes where the dot is. I did not like having to worry about the battery, and the dot disappears in certain light. But this is a $29. optic. Maybe a low magnification scope is better. BTW, what hunting?: deer accuracy is different than squirrels.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by OutlawPatriot
Hey guys, I have and AR-10 that I am hoping to use as a dual purpose weapon system- urban tactical and short range hunting. I was thinking of which optic to put on it. I have been shying away from putting a traditional hunting optic on it as that would be not very effective on the go when I can't have a nice steady shot and concentrate on things like eye relief.

So I was thinking about going with a quality red dot instead. Obviously, that would be best for tactical shooting but my question is, how far out can I realistically expect to use something like the Aimpoint pro on medium size game? I have two concerns. First is the obvious topic of magnification. How far out at 1x can I make an accurate shot on game? And secondly, how much of an error is the dot MOA size going to impact how far out I can expect to shoot.

My off the cuff guess is that I should be just fine 0-200 yards and for a good broad side still shot, I can probably reach out to 300 yards. Any thoughts or experience hunting with a red dot?

Thanks,
Rob

I've shot deer with irons to right at 600, iron covering over MOA in size.... you just have to shoot em enough to know whtas what.

Since I hunt a bit in thicker stuff I don't do irons or dots anymore, they don't allow me to see if there is a twig or such in the way... just what works for me after trailing a deflected bullet hit deer for almost 6 hours years ago in a swamp...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JoeBob
There is an arse for every seat but for me, I don't get the utility of a red dot. A 1 x 4 scope or a receiver sight is just as quick and the scope definitely offers more precision. And for me, the receiver sight does too because I have a slight astigmatism that keeps the dot from being precisely sharp. But I think even were that not the case, I would prefer the low power scope for all purposes.

I think the red dot is good for guys who never learned to shoot optics with both eyes open. They get the red dot and feel like it is quicker. But if you shoot with both eyes open, it isn't any quicker than anything else.

The astigmatism thing is a concern for me as my eyes aren't perfect so that may make my decision for me. Going to try and find a dealer local and play around with the scope first to see how my eyes do with it. Probably go towards the end of day so I can check it out in full brightness, go eat dinner and come back and check it out again at dusk to see what it looks like in dimming natural light.

If the dot fuzziness thing happens to me, I may decide to go with a 3x or 5x "prism" scope like burris makes shown below. I was hoping for a dual purpose scope with unlimited eye relief but with the astigmatism, that may not be an option.

[Linked Image]

MOLON LABE
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
It still works, but it flairs just a little and there is nothing you can do to make it sharper. So it is annoying.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Max_Velocity
I have these on two of my ARs and really love them.
http://www.eotechinc.com/holographic-weapon-sights

and on my AR custom build .204 I also added this magnifier for the best of both worlds. http://www.eotechinc.com/holographic-weapon-sights/model-g33-magnifier

I am also looking at the Eotechs specifically because the 1 MOA dot would reduce the down range error for short range hunting options. Like I said in my previous reply though, now that I am aware of the astigmatism problem some people have encountered, it's all basically dependent on that at this point.

MOLON LABE
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thing I like about the Burris I just posted a picture of is that it is compact, fixed magnification, has both red and green illumination, still has black if the battery dies, manual illumination control and obviously the higher precision of the crosshairs. So the only thing I don't really like is the lack of unlimited eye relief.

MOLON LABE
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
I tried it for a while before going to a 1-4x. It'll work, but not as well as the variable scope. Astigmatism isn't so big a deal with a good piece. Another issue is low light performance. Red dot sights have coatings that will not transmit light like a regular scope. You also need a dot that will dial down to low night vision levels so you can see past it to a dimly lit target.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
95 members (99Ozarks, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 257_X_50, 14 invisible), 1,679 guests, and 670 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,727
Posts18,400,724
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.