24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
thank you every one for your suggestions ,I ordered a Oehler straight from there website ,i have only used it once ,but so far i like it ,it will pick up pistol bullets ,were as my Pact would not do from day one and no missed rifle shots like my Pact,i was kind of worried 1st time i used it,Iam from Kentuky went out in the woods ,on an old logging trail on side of hill on the west side of hill , ,in morning ,needless to say it ,not very bright ,hill in shadows ,and tree cover ( i usauly do this in spring ,when few leaves)wasnt sure if enuff light to work ,It worked like a champ ,no missed shots ,and i could shot anywere in window and it would read shot ,were as the Pact ,you had to shoot real close to the eye sensor , or it would not read the shot ,...OH one more thing ,people think it a pain or too much trouble to set up with two stands ,but i like it ,with the Pact using a tri-pod ,muzzleblast would make it turn then you had to reset it ,not good if other people at range ,Oehler ,sits there rock steady,LESS frustrations ,,i would recomend it ,even the high price,Iwish i had bought this in 1999 instead of the pact ...i look at it this way ,I would spend that much anyway for anouther rifle ,so it realy isnt expensive compared to the cheaper ones

Last edited by rem shooter; 09/26/16.

NRA Life Member
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I picked up a Oehler 35P myself recently, and I am very pleased with it. My old Chrony seemed to work, but I saw information that led me to believe the statistics I have logged for years is very, very questionable. I've only been able to use it once and I found it a bit difficult to line up the screens, but I'm sure I'll get it down after a couple of range sessions.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RiverRider
I picked up a Oehler 35P myself recently, and I am very pleased with it. My old Chrony seemed to work, but I saw information that led me to believe the statistics I have logged for years is very, very questionable. I've only been able to use it once and I found it a bit difficult to line up the screens, but I'm sure I'll get it down after a couple of range sessions.
.... my middle screen is cocked to one side just alittle ,like the screw dimple on the 4 foot rod is a little off ,could not get the screen to line up with the others ,but it still worked ok

Last edited by rem shooter; 09/26/16.

NRA Life Member
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I've got a CED Millennium that I've never used besides testing it in the backyard by throwing some nerf golf balls through it. The range I shoot at doesn't allow chronographs and the ranges that do allow it aren't convenient to drive to. It did work that time I tested it though that was hardly an ideal way to test it. I just develop loads without it for the time being.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rem shooter
. . . I ordered a Oehler straight from there website . . .

Smart decision, grasshopper. cry

Originally Posted by rem shooter
i wish i had bought this in 1999 instead of the pact ...

Where have we heard similar rumblings when it came to discussing the Oehler 35 and others?

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
i have a ced and it works great.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by stxhunter
i have a ced and it works great.

If you believe the reports online its seems that there was some reliability issues with CED units at one point, but as with you, mine has always worked great.

I have housed mine, along with a tripod, in a cheapy Walmart plastic tool box (19" I think?) and it makes a compact easily transportable/easy to us set up...

[Linked Image]

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Congrats on your Oehler! I've really enjoyed mine, and I like the setting that uses the 8 ft screen spacing. You do need to get one accessory when using it at public ranges. A sign that sez's "Yes you may use my Chronograph. $100 deposit required".

I've lost my screens 3 times, always by some "expert" I allowed to use it.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Install the sensors on the rod, use the flats of the sensor tops on a bench to square up the sensors then tighten.

Swifty
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Allen917
Congrats on your Oehler! I've really enjoyed mine, and I like the setting that uses the 8 ft screen spacing. You do need to get one accessory when using it at public ranges. A sign that sez's "Yes you may use my Chronograph. $100 deposit required".

I've lost my screens 3 times, always by some "expert" I allowed to use it.

I have a much less expensive Shooting Chrony Beta Master, but even I was a bit nervous about someone asking me to use it the first time. Turns out they were asking me to shoot it over the chronograph for them. I've done this less dozen times in the past 8 or so years. Each time the person politely requested I shoot their firearm across it instead of asking if they could. I don't mind this so much, but I always verify the firearm is properly sighted-in.

It's been kind of neat as I've been able to shoot cartridges that I otherwise wouldn't have. 25-35, 45-70, etc. The only people I've turned down was someone asking to shoot a muzzle loader across it as I've seen pics where the patch under the bullet hit the front sensor with enough force to damage it.

“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
― Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
631 members (007FJ, 01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 1234, 1lessdog, 65 invisible), 2,813 guests, and 1,382 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,655
Posts18,399,237
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.