Page 1 of 2 1 2
#11461561 09/26/16
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Has anyone tried the Labradar chrono.

Looks good on paper, although a tad pricey.

http://www.mylabradar.com/

If it's as good and as handy as advertised, it may be worth taking a look.

DF

GB1

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
That looks like it could cut some of Oehler's market share since they price similarly assuming it performs as advertised.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Set up sure seems a lot easier.

I just hate to set all that stuff up.

DF

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Dirtfarmer,

I used a friend's Labradar to chrono some loads from a 7-08.

Using it was extremely easy and it worked great.

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Does it shed all over the furniture?

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I have a Pro Chrono and like it a lot. However, when it comes time to replace it, I'm going with the Labradar. Friend has one and it's a great tool. Easy set up, easy to use.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
I've had one for six months or so and am really pleased. You don't have to worry about light conditions and set up is simple...no wires, no nothin'.

You can select which velocity range you want to use (rifle,handgun, archery) and after a short learning curve the only time that mine has missed shots is when I've been switching between handguns and rifles and forgotten to reset the mode to the correct velocity range.

I've found that if I turn it off while I'm setting up with another rifle, the batteries last longer and I've found the "doppler" trigger feature has worked best. It takes AA's and I've gotten pretty good life out of them but always have some spares in my shooting gear.

IIRC it won't clock above 4000 fps and there has been some concern about 17 caliber bullets but mine has had no problem seeing 22 Ballistic Tips or V-Maxes above 3800 fps.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 5sdad

laugh

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If your shooting multiple firearms per sessions it can't be beat.
Easily re positioned for target changes.

Has a short learning curve as to where to position it for 100% shot recording.

Never used or owned a Magnetospeed but own an Oehler and it stays in the box since the Labradar purchase.

If you purchase a Labradar purchase one of these also cos the Labradar is hard on batteries.
https://www.amazon.com/Anker-PowerC...=8-7&keywords=best+usb+battery+packs

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Love mine. Easy and quick set up. Haven't used on less than .243 caliber bullets to this point. Buddy has used on .224 caliber with no issues. Would recommend without reservation.

Do or do not, there is no try.
IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Simple to set up. Setup and any adjustments are done BEHIND the firing line without interrupting any other shooters. Keeps track of 99, 99shot strings. ES/SD, Avg velocity all available at the touch of a button. Ability to install an SD card and pull the data to your computer when you get home and export to Excell.

On my 1st range session with mine I fired 90 shots with bullets from .224 up to .375. The unit failed to read 2 .224 75gn A-maxs out of 25 fired. One @ ~3300 and the other ~2900. I tore down, a buddy showed up at the range and in about a minute I set it back up and it read his .20 Practical rounds 9/10.

I don't own anything that goes over 4k FPS, nor do I own anything that shoots projectiles less than .224. I'd buy it again in a heartbeat.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by horse1; 09/26/16.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Can anyone confirm or deny if they will work with the faster 17 caliber rifles such as the .17 Remington?

Public landowner...
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Here are reviews from MidwayUSA.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/523157/labradar-ballistic-velocity-doppler-radar-chronograph

Some liked it, some had issues.

.17's may not work that well.

I'm still pondering these things... smile

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That looks like what I want. My shooting bench was built a little small but that can be fixed.

Back in the 70's when I went back to grad school I worked (researched) on two things; a radar unit and a in-house chronograph. Things are finally coming full circle.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/523157/labradar-ballistic-velocity-doppler-radar-chronograph

DF

Not sure if I want to spend that kind of money that won't work on everything...I'll have to look into it some more...

Public landowner...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Cinch
Not sure if I want to spend that kind of money that won't work on everything...I'll have to look into it some more...

This site's search function returns alotta posts for "labradar"...

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Have had mine to the range a few times. Very easy to set up and compared to the traditional chrono is pretty much a set on the bench, point it towards the target, turn it on and it's ready. Mine has tracked .17HMR pretty well - but NOT perfectly - once I fiddled with the location of the unit to the rifle muzzle. Have not tried 22RF, but it did well with .223 Remington. Everything else in larger calibers it read perfectly as long as I remembered to arm it (duh!).

Really like mine and although expensive compared to the options, I would buy it again.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by moosemike
Originally Posted by 5sdad
laugh

When I see Labradar, I have to think twice it's not Labrador... grin

DF

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
My friend has one and we use it a lot. We started out using the bench stand and quickly got rid of it and use a tripod beside the bench. One of the ranges we go to has wooden benches and the labradar gets rocked around by the recoil so the tripod seems to work better beside the bench. The only problem I've noticed is that it will pick up shots from other shooters and mess you up sometimes, but that's probably a trigger setting adjustment. I bought a power bank from bestbuy and it is well worth the $ to not have to use AA's.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Cinch
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

DF

The unit is only ~1.5" thick front to back. I think, many folks have a problem getting the unit level with the target, or tracking in the same plane you're shooting in. There's a targeting notch in the top of the unit similar to a rear rifle sight, but, being so narrow it's easy to not have the unit tracking in the same plane you're shooting in. I borrowed the unit to a friend and he had a heck of a time understanding what I meant by "leveling" the unit with the notch until I had him lay an arrow in the notch to increase the sighting plane.

The above probably overcomplicates things, IMO, the learning curve is short and once you learn to set up the unit it's a 1-2min deal. It takes me as long to attach the unit to a tripod as it does to line it up with my targets. I set up 5 targets @ 200yds the 1st time I used the unit, lined up on the middle target, and didn't ever adjust the targeting after that and was able to read even the .224 75gn A-max on the far left and far right targets.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

111 members (6mmCreedmoor, 300_savage, 1_deuce, Ackman, 15 invisible), 1,620 guests, and 901 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,513
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.